Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2013, 10:49   #1
cruiser

What do you enjoy most about cruising?

Cruising and boating offer so much enjoyment to so many people in so many different ways. I thought it would be interesting to find out what other CF members find to be the most enjoyable element of the boating experience. I'll start out by offering three examples of what keeps us coming back.

1. Freedom. Absolute freedom, no time constraints, nobody telling us what to do or how to act on our own little moving island.

2. Meeting nice people from all over the world who share the same interests. New friendships every day.

3. No TV. When we cruise, we are completely out of the news cycle back home. Occasionally, I'll read a newspaper online; but while cruising, I'm detached from all of it, so it reads more like a supermarket checkout rag providing some laughs.

What do you like most?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 11:42   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: What do you enjoy most about cruising?

beers in new places
Old 16-11-2013, 11:47   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the lifestyle. even with the lil disappointments involved. like seized engines and such insignificant things.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 15:44   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
beers in new places
Yep lol!
Old 16-11-2013, 16:02   #5

I enjoy the lens it's been able to offer me on my own life. Things I accepted for granted that in fact are very optional. It has given me a chance to get used to defining my life on my terms, instead of just getting swept up in the herd.

There are some things that greater society is totally spot on with: vaccinations, washing your hands after you take a crap, fitness matters, learning is important, etc.

But there are other things that are total ********: it's normal to have a car payment, you need to own a house, "normal" school is good for kids, seeing your kids for a couple of hours a day is sufficient (or just part of "how things need to be"), you really need that latest smart phone, etc.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:05   #6

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

good thread!
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:08   #7

the constant movement of the ocean makes me feel balanced
Old 16-11-2013, 16:16   #8

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Arriving at a new destination you never thought you'd get to.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:24   #9

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
1. Freedom. Absolute freedom, no time constraints, nobody telling us what to do or how to act on our own little moving island.

2. Meeting nice people from all over the world who share the same interests. New friendships every day.

3. No TV. When we cruise, we are completely out of the news cycle back home. Occasionally, I'll read a newspaper online; but while cruising, I'm detached from all of it, so it reads more like a supermarket checkout rag providing some laughs.
kenomac, you answered your own question. i agree 100%. just being away from the bulls**t of land life is worth the whole experience.

we spent the summer in the bahamas. i never read a newspaper or news website or watched television or listened to radio, and somehow the whole world managed to get on without me.

as i read somewhere once, maybe here, " the land always looks better from the sea".
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:41   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Insight within myself and oddly, the clarity I get seeing through others B.S.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:46   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

while I love being out of sight of land , and for long periods. I never wish to disconnect myself from the world, or its technology etc. thats never my goal.

I like the reliance on self ( or self with all the tools and technology I can muster LOL). I like that any achievements are mine( so to speak)

After that its visiting places and see new cultures, especially trying to get a feel of how the locals do things ( my wife is the expert in the group for this though).

After that , I just like boats, Ive had sailing boats, fishing boats, big RIBS, mobos, motorsailers etc. I like them all..

Dave
Old 16-11-2013, 17:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
while I love being out of sight of land , and for long periods. I never wish to disconnect myself from the world, or its technology etc. thats never my goal.

Dave
I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun). I know a lot of people love to be anchored out for 11 months of the year, by themselves, in some remote cove with no one to bother them as they do.... what exactly?

I hate to sound so common but:

- I like going to the movies.
- I like taking the bus around and seeing how people live in different cities.
- I like having nine places to eat to pick from in a two block radius.
- I like having an airport somewhat nearby if I want or need to leave.
- I like reading my current subscriptions to Foreign Affairs, the Atlantic, and Havard Business Review (on my Kindle).

I've had some magical times in some really far-out places and I love being off the grid but how much can you enjoy the culture of a place if you're in BFE? There's no culture in a distant cove in some uninhabited island. Culture requires people. Art, music, traditions, opinions, food, customs: gotta have people around.

We're going into the Pacific this spring so there's three weeks on the calendar of nothing but water every day all around, but seriously sue me if I want to tie up to a dock for a week somewhere in the South Pacific if we can find one.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 18:06   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We like having our own peaceful island where ever we want to put it in the most peaceful locations we can find.
Go exploring, snorkeling and swimming. Read a great book. Have a great island cooked meal and your favorite drink in anticipation for another fabulous sunset.
Then the gentle ripple on the night sea to put us to sleep.
Just so peaceful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentle Ocean.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	70576  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 05:04   #14

Boat: Lagoon 37

I enjoy the stress free life of cruising,
The satisfaction of solving problems
Especially the camaraderie
The feeling of helping people in need, (locals, or other cruisers)
Quality time spent with my wife,
Being able to choose what you want out of life on a day to day basis
And of course the whole way of life on a boat, IE: fishing, swimming, sailing etc. etc.
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 05:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Cruising and boating offer so much enjoyment to so many people in so many different ways. I thought it would be interesting to find out what other CF members find to be the most enjoyable element of the boating experience. I'll start out by offering three examples of what keeps us coming back.

What do you like most?

1. Lot of constraints still exist - officials when checking in, visa limitations, weather, expensive marinas in popular areas. So I would argue it's a different type of freedom not complete freedom.

2. This one I agree with whole heartedly. The people are awesome.

3. I don't agree with this one. Life was good before cruising. I'm not trying to escape the world, so I don't get this one.

4. We love to visit new areas both isolated natural areas and vibrant cities. A water borne home is perfect for that as many natural areas are very difficult to reach by land and most historical cities were built around water transport so the historical centers often have excellent options to visit by water.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising