Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 05:45   #16

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Well, key west is a dump...moving on

We were in Key West last November. We anchored at Fleming Key cut for half of the day and felt comfortable. The water was pretty clear and lots of boat traffic. The forecast changed for the very next day increasing wind speeds to 35mph. We didnt want to leave the boat anchored without being there onboard in case anchor would drag so we got a slip in KW bight Marina. This is the only way we could actually tour the city and not worry. We only spent two days there and really enjoyed ourselves touring the city. We hit some local restuarants that were really good (not the ones in the tourist trap). Overall it was a good experience. I cant say I would want to go back anytime soon though. BTW, many boats were dragging the next day with all the wind.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:11   #17

Boat: Oyster 53

A glance at a map will explain why Key West sucks (and it sucked when we sailed there 17 years ago). Highway 1 terminates on the island which makes it easy for the "Sam brothers," Float and Jet and all their scruffy friends to show up.

They used to print posters with this "catchy" slogan: "Key West: the last resort." I totally agree!

The best places can only be reached by boat.

Dhillen
Old 15-02-2015, 06:36   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

[QUOTE=natraps116;1749334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post

Dude, if you have tires strapped to the side of your boat, it's covered in trash, your dinghy is two kayaks and a pallets strapped together and no sails what so ever... Im pretty sure you don't give a crap about your property. If they lived on land then yes, they would probably live in Camden or Philly, on the STREET. Anyone who's lucky enough to get on a mooring ball or at one of the better spots might not know about west side of Wisteria key. A guy has literally rafted together a sailboat and a few dinghys with plywood pallets and tarps and created a water world esq flotilla. I guess he's a proud live aboard... No criticism here of the trash he throws overboard everyday.

Point is trashy people ruin places, and trashy people come from everywhere

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm coming down on your side on this one. Trashy people ruin places. There was a time people had a bit of pride. That era seems to have ended. Except for those who take pride in being trashy.

I've been considering cruising to the Keys. Maybe I'll have to rethink that.
Old 15-02-2015, 06:46   #19

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
My wife and I sailed down to Key West this past week to meet up with friends who werr flying in. When we got there we expected it to be a lot different, we anchor out a lot of the time, So when we went to the west side of Wisteria key we were surprised that we will be anchoring in a junkyard. We ended up paying to stay in the Key West City bight marina for the week but as we pulled out of the marina this morning, I checked the weather looked at the winds and decided, ah screw it, let's head back up north. we made it to marathon in a few hours and anchored and are looking forward to get back to Fort Lauderdale. We can't wait to actually get to Bahamas and a place where we can see the bottom where were anchored.... All this murkey water sucks
p
If you are heading back to Ft L from KW to avoid murky water and crowds, you are going in the wrong direction
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:56   #20

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Love key west. We sail to the dt and then to key west all the time It is what you make of it. If you're looking for clear water at the dock under your boat probably not. A little off shore it's clear.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:44   #21
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

I am visiting Key West a few times each year and hang out for a few days.
Any place that has several cruise ships docking each day inevitably will eventually ruin the charm of the place. This applies to the Bahamas and several places in the Carribean I know as well.
There is an increase of derelict boats, some abandoned some that serve as dwellings that should be dealt with as they obviously do not have adequate live aboard facilities. I was anchored on the east side of Wisteria island and aside from the assembly of derelict boats I noticed a steady traffic of people arriving by various means of transport and disappearing into the mangroves on the island. Seems like there may be some homeless camp there.
The USCG was busy all weekend pulling people over for registration checks myself included ( on my dinghy heading for the Turtle Club). I am not sure how the occupants of boats that are no longer registered or comply with any environmental standards are tolerated.
I take Key West for what it is and will continue to use it as a stop over but it has every sign of becoming a floating junkyard.
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:46   #22

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
If not wanting to be anchored next to derelict boats makes me smug than I'm guilty as charged.... I like the city and all its just the wife and I don't feel comfortable leaving the boat unattended with homeless boaters surrounding us

How could a boater be homeless.?
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:04   #23

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

For a taste of the "old" keys we used to go to Knight's Key, immediately north of the 7 mile bridge and just south of Marathon. Slow pace, clean water, anchoring's OK but the water's pretty skinny. Haven't been there since 2012 so it may have changed. (Shhh, don't tell too many people, it'll go so bad....)
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 11:54   #24

I think there are some beautiful places in the Keys. But, Key West is kind of not so much from a boating standpoint. Lots of nice bars and tourist attractions though. I've made it a point to never be there during Fantasy Fest, that's a little too racy for me.
Old 15-02-2015, 12:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think there are some beautiful places in the Keys. But, Key West is kind of not so much from a boating standpoint. Lots of nice bars and tourist attractions though. I've made it a point to never be there during Fantasy Fest, that's a little too racy for me.
We've been to KW during FF 3 or 4 times and had a blast each time. Didn't stay for the whole 10 days as that would get boring, but the last 2-3 days were fun.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:53   #26

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

I live in the upper keys and whenever I tell some one where I'am from they say "oh key west" and I say no, key west is 90 miles away. Key west is a whole different place than the other 105 miles of keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 13:20   #27

[QUOTE=natraps116;1749334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post

Dude, if you have tires strapped to the side of your boat, it's covered in trash, your dinghy is two kayaks and a pallets strapped together and no sails what so ever... Im pretty sure you don't give a crap about your property. If they lived on land then yes, they would probably live in Camden or Philly, on the STREET. Anyone who's lucky enough to get on a mooring ball or at one of the better spots might not know about west side of Wisteria key. A guy has literally rafted together a sailboat and a few dinghys with plywood pallets and tarps and created a water world esq flotilla. I guess he's a proud live aboard... No criticism here of the trash he throws overboard everyday.

Point is trashy people ruin places, and trashy people come from everywhere

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 13:47   #28

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Sirena View Post
How could a boater be homeless.?
Boat gets repossessed. Boat drags anchor and hits a bridge, Boat gets stolen when he leaves to get supplies, Boat sinks, ...............................
Old 15-02-2015, 15:44   #29

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

This Thread could turn out to be beneficial for those of us that go to the Keys with our families annually......including Key West. Some have said how it has changed in the last 40 years, 20 years etc. The population of the US has almost doubled in that period of time so tourism has also grown. However 5 years ago the tourist in the Keys was double what it is today. In actuality it not as bad now as it was.

If Key West doesn't have a cruise ship in, the streets are almost empty and it's not like they are there all of the time either.

When Cuba becomes easy access to US citizens,Key West and much of the Keys will go back like it was many years ago. It will come very soon and Many business will suffer greatly. The "opening" of Cuba is exciting but the eventual impact may not.

We all have choices....

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin........

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:54   #30

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Just as an added note for those on land. A great friend of mine has been a street musician on Mallory Square for the last 15 years. She can tell you of the changes. Oddly, her biggest complaint is the yuppification/homogenization of EYW. A one bedroom apartment in Old Town now costs upward of $1000/month vs 400 a decade ago. People who would rather shop the Gap (found anywhere in US) vs one off shops filled with arty but odd goods. The trapeze guy (can't remember his name) is leaving due to costs after being in Mallory Sq over 20 years. Shame.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west