Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 11:16   #1

Boat: 44' Schucker
We bought the boat - NOW WHAT

My dream for many years has been to move on board once the kids were out of school. As it turns out, we live in Colorado Springs at 6500' and my wife has to get back to sea level for health reasons. So we are moving forward one year ahead of schedule and I have spent the last year researching all kinds of stuff from what's the right live aboard for us, what can we afford, and the list goes on and on.

To make it even more stressful, hurricane Sandy destroyed thousands and thousands of boats and I knew that the used boat inventory would be in high demand and I must act quickly. To make a long story short WE BOUGHT A BOAT that we believe is nearly perfect for us and I'M FREAKING OUT.

I need to:
hire a surveyor
figure out where to register it
where to keep it to start
insurance
sell my house
liquidate everything we own
EXPLAIN TO MY WIFE that her 4500 sq ft house is now...
LEARN TO SAIL vs being a deck hand

Did I mention I'M FREAKING OUT!

Maybe you seasoned sailors can offer advice that I really need.

1.Have any of you liquidated everything and jumped aboard and sailed off in to the sunset? Did you have a company come in and do the onsite auction thing or something else? How did you liquidate everything fast and easy?

2. I need to do the survey in the next couple weeks in Annapolis and the broker gave me a list of 5-6 in the area, how do I pick?

3. We are getting the boat in Annapolis and I would like to stay in the area to move in and get comfortable and learn to sail and gain experience before going anywhere more than training. I need to find a place to keep the boat that won't break the bank. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good place in Annapolis to keep the boat for a month or two & what it will cost me?

4. Recommendations on who I should get in touch with to teach me, my wife, and my son to sail on OUR boat.

5. Since we are moving aboard and will not have a land based home, I need to move my business address and such and from what I hear but know nothing about is Delaware. Any advise on the pro's and cons of Delaware and taxes and such.

I think that's more than enough for now. The bottom line is I'm hoping there are a few of you out there that liquidated everything and move aboard and can share the "getting started" stuff.

Did I mention I'm freaking out?
Old 13-01-2013, 11:47   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: We bought the boat - NOW WHAT

Wow, big change.

You say you "bought" the boat and now want to do a survey? Is that correct, or did you just sign a contract? Ideally you want to do the survey before you actually buy it.

Have you and your family spent time on a boat together for an extended period of time before?

"WE" bought a bought, but you need to "EXPLAIN..." to her ... she does know about this decision right?

One suggestion, slow down, chill out, and take it one step at a time. Is there some factor that makes it necessary you do this fast?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 11:54   #3

Boat: Catalina 34

Like the previous poster, I'm a little confused as to why you would want a survey done if you've already bought the boat. If you do in fact already own it, and you want to make sure everything is in good working order, I think having a good boat yard look it over would make more sense. They have the facilities and (hopefully) specialized skills (engine, rigging, fiberglass) to do a more thorough job.

As for learning to sail, if you're going to be in Annapolis you might want to look into courses at the Annapolis Sailing School. I took a week long sailing class there (many years ago) and thought it was excellent. http://www.annapolissailing.com
Old 13-01-2013, 12:00   #4

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Owning a bunch of crap (material posessions) and then cold turkey into a minimalist lifestyle must be similiar to quitting heroin.
Life is better without drugs anyway.

Welcome to a great life.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Do try and stay on the red side and not the blue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Calm.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	52817  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:40   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

far as the boat is concerned you should get your broker to help you some for suggestions

there are some dangers far as this goes for surveyor
Old 13-01-2013, 13:23   #7
cruiser

Get a grip, take a deep breath... Then do as Don said, pick up the phone and call your broker for help in solving the boat issues.

Look on the bright side, at least you're not having to deal with international exchange rates, foreign lanuages, 220v vs 110v, electric plug adapters etc like we did. You have it easy.

If you think it's difficult now... Just wait till you need select an anchor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 13:40   #8

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Congrats on the boat.

Take one thing at a time and don't get too overwhelmed at once.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Welcome boating.bmp (171.6 KB, 141 views)
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 15:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Wow, big change.

You say you "bought" the boat and now want to do a survey? Is that correct, or did you just sign a contract? Ideally you want to do the survey before you actually buy it.

Have you and your family spent time on a boat together for an extended period of time before?

"WE" bought a bought, but you need to "EXPLAIN..." to her ... she does know about this decision right?

One suggestion, slow down, chill out, and take it one step at a time. Is there some factor that makes it necessary you do this fast?

ARGH, YES, contract agreed upon pending survey. I obviously need to be more specific as I figured everyone would know you make a deal, get survey, close, MY BAD!

Spending time in confined spaces, YES. We use to travel in a 30' motor home racing Motocross and spent months on end traveling but we always went home eventually to all the "stuff". I want to live simply SO BAD. I don't need all this crap at all. I loved living in the motor home.

I didn't explain this very well I guess. WE MUST LEAVE the high altitude due to her health and get back to sea level SOON.
Old 13-01-2013, 15:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw77 View Post
Like the previous poster, I'm a little confused as to why you would want a survey done if you've already bought the boat. If you do in fact already own it, and you want to make sure everything is in good working order, I think having a good boat yard look it over would make more sense. They have the facilities and (hopefully) specialized skills (engine, rigging, fiberglass) to do a more thorough job.

As for learning to sail, if you're going to be in Annapolis you might want to look into courses at the Annapolis Sailing School. I took a week long sailing class there (many years ago) and thought it was excellent. Untitled Document
Thanks Steve! We were looking into them at the last sailboat show in Annapolis last October, we had a blast!
Old 13-01-2013, 17:02   #11

Don't select a surveyor based on your broker's recommendation. Annapolis has everything you or any sailor will need.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 18:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

You may want to look into the Eastern Shore as most things are cheaper there.

We loved the years we lived there.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 18:45   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

try www.marinesurvey.org and then just punch in your location. Also search the archives here for surveyors in Annapolis and you will find some information. Good for you, good luck.
Old 13-01-2013, 18:54   #14

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We sold everything at yard sales in 3 weeks.

This isn't a great season for yard sales in Colorado!

We've met lots of folks that hired an auction house to get rid of everything. From what I've been told, it was painless and easy and done in one day.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:03   #15

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

1. Surveyor
Are the surveyors members of a professional organization? (SAMS etc.)
Do they give references -- have you talked to the references?
Will they consider stopping the survey if they find a deal breaker early on?
Do the sample surveys they show you seem insightful, or more mere box checking and boiler plate language?
Did you give the boat a really close "pre survey" yourself, perhaps with an experienced sailing friend?
Do the prospective surveyors you talk to seem patient and interesting in explaining what they find?
Do the prospective surveyors encourage you to be present for the survey?
Do the surveyors tell you when they might recommend a rig or engine survey or analysis?

2. Would it make any financial sense or be possible for you to rent out your house, so that your spouse doesn't have to panic about totally cutting off all times to land forever-ish? Will friends or neighbors keep some of your land stuff so the change isn't quite as dramatic or final?

3. Annapolis could get a "bit" chilly in winter. Maybe a trip south down the ditch is called for so that you don't add too much bitter cold to the shock of moving? Mild weather might make learning to sail and live on the boat more fun.

4. Do you have trusted relatives and friends to help with mail and such like remaining connections to land, or will you use a mail forwarding service? The forums have all sorts of discussions about various bits of logistics.

5. Do you have any known issues that might force you back to land, such as health of parents, etc.?