Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 10:37   #91

Re: Warning 'rant' - Don't you just love loking for crew!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
One word... "back packers"... (ok thats two- or is it meant to be one word- i dont know or care)

They are usually ..
Highly educated and on a gap year or two
Highly Adventurous
Willing to live on staples for extended periods
Flexible with timelines
Willing to go without showers
Willing to live in sub-human accommodation
Have a good understanding on foreign cultures
Very social.

If you can get a couple with some sailing basics, your halfway there!
Ha! I confess to not having read to the end of this topic before posting. So, if it's already been said...

There are huge exceptions to the characteristics and qualities you list allegedly typical of backpackers.

But, what caught my attention is you left off an almost universal truth about backpackers. THEY'RE ALWAYS DOWN TO THEIR LAST NICKLE! Consequently they're looking for the cheapest means of transport between points. They're excellent con-artists, so it's a simple feat to convince you of anything you want to believe...

Beware!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 19:03   #92

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey, as far as rants go I rate yours an 8.

Good job - LOL...

You forgot...

6. "PsychicWindDancerChick38 - Decided to change my life. Looking for passage on a sailboat as crew. I've never sailed before but I know it's what I want. Recently divorced vegan, into mystics, tarot and voodoo. Leaving my 3 <10 y/o kids with grandma. No meat eaters, drinkers or smokers. Unless it's pot, then that's OK."

This is the winner!
I think I am starting to look like good crew now, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 19:17   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I don't understand this attitude. If I was looking for a paid employee (lots of experience of that) I would go to a professional crew site, look for qualifications references etc, hold interviews and pay the going rate.

If I am inviting someone to share a voyage/expedition for the fun and adventure then I am looking for someone who shares my interests and wants to do similar things. I also want them to enjoy it so want to make sure they are capable of doing what we plan (you would not ask your granny to come on a 20 mile hike would you?) We are both on holiday and I expect to treat them as a friend who is sharing the holiday. If I was proposing a mountain expedition potential expedition member would not expect me to pay them or treat them as Sherpas. Why should we treat guests on board as paid hand just because we have only just met them? It's my boat so I expect to pay for the boat and treat them as a guest which includes feeding them. But if you invite someone to your home for a holiday do you normally expect to pay their petrol to get there and buy all the drinks if you go to the pub? Basically that is what I am doing, inviting someone to come and stay with me and enjoy a sail. If you think of sailing to Hawaii as work don't come with me, get a job with a commercial crew, expect to be qualified and do it as a job.
I have done commercial work at sea, I know the difference.

You are right, this is not work unless you are tired of doing it. I think it may be the experience issue. Most with experience have the goal to purchase a boat or are needing hours for Captain license. Maybe look at the Crew Wanted Ad.

I know plenty of owners that have really nice boats and do not really know how to sail. I think it is a tall order. Maybe take 2 for 1, if room on boat. Now you have three and don't have to be a couple. Just a thought. The last boat I crewed had 5 crew, then down to 4, None were couples.

Old 02-06-2016, 19:20   #94

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Re: Warning 'rant' - Don't you just love looking for crew!!

..go single handed man.. then you don't need to pay/support/rant over nothing.. what?? you don't want it? well.. you always have american or delta for "these" moment of brightness...
Old 02-06-2016, 19:29   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm the guy who takes his own transport to parties etc in spite of being offered countless lifts.. like doing what I want.. when I want..
Not when someone else says I can.. or cannot..
And my crews rarely do a lot anyway... read, sleep, eat, sunbathe...

PS; some one said I was anti-social the other day.. cheeky sod

Now this is a good ad for crew.
Sign me up, lol.

Old 02-06-2016, 21:35   #96

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Ha! I confess to not having read to the end of this topic before posting. So, if it's already been said...

There are huge exceptions to the characteristics and qualities you list allegedly typical of backpackers.

But, what caught my attention is you left off an almost universal truth about backpackers. THEY'RE ALWAYS DOWN TO THEIR LAST NICKLE! Consequently they're looking for the cheapest means of transport between points. They're excellent con-artists, so it's a simple feat to convince you of anything you want to believe...

Beware!

As mentioned I have found them to be highly educated. Yes they are usually living tight. That usually means they only need to be fed noodles and they are happy.. There is no need to provide sirloin steaks for every meal.

However, to call them con artists is particularly unfair. I have spent over a year in backpacker circles and find they have a lust for adventure and an honesty one doesnt get in the mainstream world. Perhaps you are confusing them with hippies. Theres a big difference.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 13:04   #97

I take offense to the Hippie comment

Old 03-06-2016, 13:08   #98

I could just be a want a be.
I call my cabin Camp Wa-Na-B.
Do you know the difference between a Red Neck and a Hill Billy.
I asked someone when I was confused which they were.
He said a Red Neck is a Wanna- B and a Hill Billy can get her done!

Old 03-06-2016, 13:19   #99
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Do you know the difference between a Red Neck and a Hill Billy.
The number and relations of "cousins"
Old 03-06-2016, 13:44   #100

Boat: Swan 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Markus Carkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I take offense to the Hippie comment

ditto
The people meant by the word's original usage were and are the kindest, gentlest souls on earth, along with honest and honorable.
Markus Carkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 00:34   #101

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have a very simple way to deal with the issue -- we don't take crew -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 17:39   #102

Now then, you are missing out on my great cooking, cheers.

Old 09-06-2016, 21:52   #103

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I've had a couple of young back-packers approach me in Mexico for a "ride" somewhere...usually with bicycles. The mistake they seem to make is telling me how much they know and how good they are. It takes me about two questions to call BS on them.
I take a few people or persons now and again if they're fun and positive. With them I enjoy the company and teaching them a little about what I know and listening to their experiences.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 15:09   #104

Boat: 10' surfboard

I have noticed very common posts on CF:

What is the best boat to buy with the least money?

What is the best way to fix the following problem with my boat for the least money?

Where is the best place I can go to live on my boat for the least money?

Where in the world can I go and what minority craftsmen can I hire to get a bunch of difficult and health dangerous work done on my boat for the least money?

What is the way to get my boat transported across land for the least money?

What is the way to get my boat delivered upwind in winter for the least money?

Why is it so hard to find people who will be crew on my boat for THE LEAST MONEY?!!!

(And lastly)

How do you deal with a captain who is a raging lunatic? It sounded so good, no cost, just help sail the boat and be friendly...
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 17:21   #105

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Nice thread necromancy; nonetheless, I'll pitch in:

From January to March, we invite friends who are interested in sailing to join us for our regular 3-4 hour afternoon "training" sessions which entail learning and practicing basic sailing skills, boat systems, MOB, fire and water incursion drills. This is often followed by mooring off and swimming in the lagoon and a provided light lunch.

Our longer inter-island excursions are done April - June and are typically 4-5 days under way and several days exploring other islands in here in Micronesia. Our boat is roomy and comfortable, with 2 heads, three showers and room for 10, but we limit crew on excursions to 6. Previous excursion crews are invited first and if we then have room for more, those who have come to the majority of the "training" sessions, have proven compatible, demonstrated the ability to learn and possess the requisite physical capacity are invited to join us.

For food, we provide staples, but invite folks to bring their favorites and anything they'd like to share. We encourage camping upon landfall to break things up a bit and ensure that folks get out to explore. We do not allow drinking while underway and ask that folks smoke downwind. Couples, in our experience, are no problem, but they do not mix well with single women.

If we had to depend on a website to attract crew, we'd sail without. I enjoy sharing my knowledge and resources and believe that doing so need not be transactional in nature.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew