Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2010, 23:09   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Vive la Difference !

We have all talked about our partner relationships in various sailing threads under the premise of sailing as a team.

But in reality, while we may have common goals, the differing solutions offer endless entertainment, bewilderment and occasional arguments, hopefully ending in love and acceptance below decks.

This tongue in cheek Thread is about those Differences you have experienced with your partner in the way you live aboard or sail your boat.

For me it is about inventory control and a logical storage plan….. I have yet to understand why the utility rubber bands are best kept in the onion bowl?

What are your differences?.....

Vive la difference!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 06:09   #2

Not that it's the only one, but: Showering.
This is so far a "theoretical" difference, as we haven't been on any trips with limited enough water supply to matter. But, he maintains that a single 2-Litre soda bottle, with holes drilled in the cap, should suffice for a shower - wash in salt and rinse with that. I maintain that I have too much hair - a 2L bottle won't even get it wet all the way through, and can't get all the salt out either, so I will need more. And he really doesn't want me to cut it all off, so I am hopeful that I will eventually win this one.

He gave me a soda bottle and a bottle of baby shampoo for Christmas! Right before we left for our winter charter.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 06:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Just a first thought. Ask him to wash your hair.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 07:37   #4

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Very cool idea

My Wife of 15 years is about to become an Admiral. In the past I had a 26' sloop built by my brother (very Choy Lee) and cruising was like camping out. My sons loved it and wife would not be cooped up and subjected to all that testosterone. Now the kids are grown and we have Idora. Much more comfortable. I think I will just lay back and watch her set things up.
Item#1- All my manuals have been evicted from the galley.

HOHO

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 19:31   #5
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Just a first thought. Ask him to wash your hair.
Nice thought Sandy…… but maybe not right after watching this movie

Check out minute 8:50 part of this Dead Calm clip
Old 26-06-2010, 21:40   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We have a catamaran, and having five cabins makes it much easier to tolerate the differences with all our crew members. My wife has her own cabin, I have mine, and other crew members each have their own cabin as well. Everyone gets to do whatever they want with their cabin, and so individual differences don't matter that much.

As long as each person's stuff doesn't spill out of their own cabin into other areas of the yacht, everything is OK. If it doesn't fit in your cabin, then it's time to get rid of something.

My wife owns the galley and puts anything in it that she wants.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 00:09   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
How many of these differences are attributable to boating im not sure but if you sharing very close space with a partner it can be a little testing at times whether your afloat or shoreside.
Old 27-06-2010, 05:56   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
The main difference between living on a boat vs. living ashore?
On a boat you say "aye aye, dear".
Old 27-06-2010, 06:11   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

For me it is about inventory control and a logical storage plan….. I have yet to understand why the utility rubber bands are best kept in the onion bowl?

Pelagic

Don't you know?? Its a monogamous relationship--onions are very insecure personalities--rubber bands hold them together
Old 27-06-2010, 06:31   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I guess fresh water use was the biggest difference we had, since we had no watermaker.

We had a freshwater flush VacuFlush toilet. She flushed more than I did--waaaay more. She wore more clothes than I did, and washed them in the galley sink. I rinsed out my soccer shorts in salt water--had two pairs that I rotated. She took hot showers. I washed in salt water off the stern and rinsed with about two quarts out of the washdown hose.

My gentle coaxing didn't have much of an effect. I quickly got over it. As long as she was happy, I was happy. We were out there, cruising. I frankly never thought she'd do it, but she did, and loved it. Filling up the water tank every 12 days or so was a small price to pay.
Old 27-06-2010, 07:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Nice thought Sandy…… but maybe not right after watching this movie

Check out minute 8:50 part of this Dead Calm clip
Well, if you're using Dead Calm as your reference, should probably never go offshore in the first place ...

Not a bad idea, though - a lifetime of short hair has left Hubby blissfully unaware of what it's like, I think.
I have to wonder:
Quote:
Item#1- All my manuals have been evicted from the galley.
Why were they in the Galley in the first place? Have the men been hiding secret delicious recipes in the engine maintenance guides?
As Hubby considers anything beyond "mix - eat" to be too complex to be worth it, I also get to "own the galley", so hopefully no arguments to be had there.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 23:44   #12
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post

Pelagic

Don't you know?? Its a monogamous relationship--onions are very insecure personalities--rubber bands hold them together
Thanks…..That explains it!.... but the tears from those dispossessed onions do give the rubber bands a latent reminder of their earlier service.
Old 29-06-2010, 00:17   #13

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Awww Hud, spoken like a true Gent, a happy, loving man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I guess fresh water use was the biggest difference we had, since we had no watermaker.

We had a freshwater flush VacuFlush toilet. She flushed more than I did--waaaay more. She wore more clothes than I did, and washed them in the galley sink. I rinsed out my soccer shorts in salt water--had two pairs that I rotated. She took hot showers. I washed in salt water off the stern and rinsed with about two quarts out of the washdown hose.

My gentle coaxing didn't have much of an effect. I quickly got over it. As long as she was happy, I was happy. We were out there, cruising. I frankly never thought she'd do it, but she did, and loved it. Filling up the water tank every 12 days or so was a small price to pay.
Old 29-06-2010, 05:25   #14

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

Sound like your wife and mine have exchanged notes, especially about the vacuflush
I ended up installing an extra fresh water tank and will also add a watermaker. One other area is power conservation. She will turn on all the cabin lights. I turn them off, she puts the back on. My answer is to convert everything to LEDs.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 05:33   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Oh, yeah! The light thing. I forgot about that. Lights are for turning on and leaving on, as I watch the Link 10 tick off the amp-hours...

These two definitely have some things in common.