Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 07:01   #1

Boat: Elco Marinette 27'
Visitors & too much booze!

So I love all the folks at the docks. It's wonderful cuz I am socially awkward in most settings, except on the boat. And since I am recently single, having folks around is really important to me now - keeps me upbeat & hopeful, instead of sad & lamenting my ex (you know how that goes, right?)

Well, here's the deal. Since my boat is an antique, I get a lot of foot traffic everywhere I go, & I've become quite the social butterfly. Problem is, I can't seem to say No to a drink, & for some reason, my boat attracts drinkers (or so it seems).

Many board my boat with a bottle of wine & glasses to share. Normally this would be fine if you only get a few visits, but I attend the boat shows & get more like 20 visits an evening. I'm sure you get where this is going. I'm becoming a lush at the dock! Egads.

So before this boating season, I'm a bit worried about this Spring & facing all that free wine again. So, I'm curious how others deal with boaters who come aboard...& stay to hang out to drink & to smell the cedar. LOL

Seriously, I don't want to offend those who visit & in the moment, the temptation is real, but I gotta get cruising, not drinking at the dock! :-)

Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Visitors & too much booze!

Its something to be wary of.
If you are staying in the same location it could be quite difficult.
You can move to a quiet anchorage.
Or say 'no' with an excuse. My perfect one at night is to say I have to ring Australia as its opening time there for business. In fact I used that excuse last night so I hope no one reads this lol.

Theres plenty out there who drink too much, too often. At our age 7 nights per week is far too much. Saying 'no' could add years to you life and increase the enjoyment, it doesnt mean becoming teetotal.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:40   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

For me the trick is to enjoy 1 drink as fully as 10, and be happy with that, MarkJ has a good point too, "Sorry I have to get up in a couple of hours the Hangseng starts up and I have to be online to start my trading day." Or something along those lines. It is an easy trap to fall into, "Nurse, Nurse! Bring me another beer!"
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Its really okay to say, "I've had enough for tonight so I'll stick to water now." Enjoy the visitors and don't get pushed beyond your comfort.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:55   #5
cruiser

Switch to Tea. Offer tea or coffee to visitors.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:57   #6

Just go ahead and accept their offering and save it till later. Or you could hang a line of wet diapers across the cockpit. If you are a good actor you might act like you are really drunk and make yourself Obnoxious . Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 17:35   #7

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

It's a good problem to have... it could be you have no friends visiting and no booze. Sometimes when I have to get something done I just tell people they're welcome to stay but I've got to get this project done and just get to work. Sometimes they stay and help... sometimes they leave ya to your project.

You can always say something like "Have you ever worked on a marine toilet before? I've got to take mine apart right now." Usually that's when people remember they have somewhere else to be!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 18:24   #8

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Having people come by is fun, so do it if you want. If it's time for them to go, have a pleasant line ready like, "Great to see you! Wow, look at the time. I've got to take care of some other things before I go to bed" or whatever.

The drinking thing is another matter. Since you said that you're getting over a divorce, you might be in a vulnerable state in terms of drinking. If so, have a tonic, or soda, or water (with lemon) or other healthy drink right there. That way you can have the social interaction, but not the booze. If you think that you might be drinking to much, then you probably are. Please be careful to not "self medicate" your troubles. Gee, does that sound like 12 step thinking? Yes.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 19:06   #9

Why is this any different than on land?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 20:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post

Well, here's the deal. Since my boat is an antique, I get a lot of foot traffic everywhere I go... & for some reason, my boat attracts drinkers (or so it seems).

Many board my boat with a bottle of wine & glasses to share...
You aren't by chance selling an older wood boat by chance? I ask because that's the BEST damn sales-pitch I've ever heard for one!
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 20:50   #11

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Good question, Stu. It really isn't. However, I grew up as a Yacht Club kid, and I believe there is a culture of drinking around boats. Sometimes, and for some people, it gets out of hand.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 21:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
You aren't by chance selling an older wood boat by chance? I ask because that's the BEST damn sales-pitch I've ever heard for one!

That made me giggle! Too funny!

Old 06-02-2015, 21:30   #13

[QUOTE=scotty c-m;...The drinking thing is another matter. Since you said that you're getting over a divorce, you might be in a vulnerable state in terms of drinking. If so, have a tonic, or soda, or water (with lemon) or other healthy drink right there. That way you can have the social...[/QUOTE]

I think this has been part of the problem. I've been socially needy! Yuck! but that was last summer & I've gotten over that awful depression. it's always hard to be dumped, though & it destroys your self-esteem...

Anyway, I'm in a stronger emotional place now, & I suspect I won't be so needy this Season. Now it's about learning how to move people along while still being friendly...

Old 06-02-2015, 21:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Why is this any different than on land?

Actually, Stu, it is different. I live in DC & rarely have visitors. That's why I like boating. I love the friendliness & at my marina, they have a lot of social gatherings & stuff...nothing like my life on land.

Old 06-02-2015, 21:35   #15

Well, you guys have given me good advice for the upcoming season. Thank you! :-)