Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2015, 09:52   #16

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Trying to complete my dreams and make memories

With a 12 year old with you, you can't just 'wing it', safety has to be priority.
The ocean is an unforgiving place, sailboats can and do break and sink, heck even at the shoreside two were killed in a mild storm just last week.
Lot of helpful people here, don't just ignore the ones that are not cheerleaders.

Old 14-01-2015, 09:57   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Trying to complete my dreams and make memories

There were 2 in your stated range.. a Merlin 36..
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd. (Nanny Cay, British Virgin Islands)&

The other is an Ohlson 38.. but its the same as the Pearson.. only one dedicated double..
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd. (Nanny Cay, British Virgin Islands)&

Give them a shout.. have met them in the past and they are pretty straight folk.. very helpful and nice to boot..

Opps... the Ohlson does have an aft cabin

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:02   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
With a 12 year old with you, you can't just 'wing it', safety has to be priority.
The ocean is an unforgiving place, sailboats can and do break and sink, heck even at the shoreside two were killed in a mild storm just last week.
Lot of helpful people here, don't just ignore the ones that are not cheerleaders.

Damn... there was me thinking it was a 12yr old..

Born To Be Wild
Old 14-01-2015, 10:11   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another good place to buy is St Martin.. 87 miles E of BVI.. from there its a beat to Antigua then beam reach to Trinidad and back.. from there downwind to the Ilse's W of where you bought.. or just cut straight across to the USVI's and on to Cuba.. then down to Jamaica and over to Panama and C America..

Born To Be Wild
Old 14-01-2015, 10:12   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Spent a good number of years as an "outrider" with Red & White, Mom and Dad were origionals. I'm 62 now with about 12 years on the open ocean,
I can still close my eyes on a passage and feel the wind in my face and all the memories come back to life. The roll of the ocean is much like the open road, you'll see.
I've started putting some of the old stories together, if not for a book, for my kids to carry with them in the future, and I advise you do the same. Those times are gone my friend, be them good or bad, but need to be remembered and shared is still there.
Good on you to build new memories with your son..
Keep the wind in your face.............................................
Old 14-01-2015, 10:24   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I can still close my eyes on a passage and feel the wind in my face and all the memories come back to life. The roll of the ocean is much like the open road, you'll see.
Good on you to build new memories with your son..
Keep the wind in your face.............................................
+A1....

Born To Be Wild
Old 14-01-2015, 10:26   #22

Boat: Jefferson 42 trawler

I do plan on the whole family taking sailing lessons. Cruising the carribean will also help me learn to be an avid sailor while prepping for a longer passage. Going from a 42' trawler to a sailboat will be a lesson on storage and utilizing smaller areas. I have started a list and print out the advice I'm given on here, safety is a huge factor in my eyes and I really need to focus on that. The one good thing I see on the ohioson is it has a fresh water maker, that's a huge plus in my eyes.

" We do not remember days, we remember moments"
Old 14-01-2015, 10:56   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgoshow1 View Post
Well it seems I posted on someone else's topic with my issue so I'll start a new one. I'm currently struggling with life, I was raised in a mennonite family with private schools and best of everything thanks to my family who are considerably wealthy. In my family you work for everything you have, nothing is handed to you. I was a rebellious POS child, I went against everything and everybody. I ended up being a member of a 1% outlaw motorcycle club for 20 years and somehow got out without being killed. I now teach gang prevention through Christian ministries. Yes I have change my life!! I worked in the construction field and ended up being a project manager on massive jobsites in the billion dollar range, so I was a very respected consultant at the same time I was a notorious biker. I have a wife and 5 children as well as 4 grand children and I'll be 43 years old come this August. My health went down with severe neuropathy in the feet from uncontrolled diabetes which now I have controlled. I left work and went out on disability.... Wow I went from a six digit salary to 4k a month and depleted my savings due to another catastrophic event in my daughters life. She had brain tumors and had no insurance, I ended up paying out of pocket for the surgeries. I own 2 boats... A 42 foot Jefferson and a sea Ray 27 foot cuddy which are now both sold and purchasing a sailboat. I was just diagnosed with throat cancer and it hit me that I've never completed any of my dreams. My 12 year old son and I wanted to cruise the world and see amazing things which we were going to do with the trawler before my life collapsed. Sailing is the only thing I'll be able to afford on a fixed income. I want to complete the dream and adventure with my son before I go, I've always had a calling to sail the islands and beyond since I was a kid, it's a feeling so strong that it's all I do anymore is research and watch videos of single handed sailing. I look at my son and he's so excited but I also see the dis belief in his eyes because so many times in the past due to the motorcycle club his dreams are crushed, yes I know it's me not the club, I made the choice to be involved in that no one else. My entire life I've been a disappointment to everyone, I've started things and never completed them. This time I'm doing it!

I just wanted to give y'all a glimpse of who I really am, I know that God has a plan for me yet and I'm NOT letting him down. The oceans are my home and the destinations are going to be memories my son will never forget, and the work that goes with each passage will be lessons in life for both of us. Please feel free to criticize me or ask questions. My life is an open book.

Everyone has problems. Maybe less extensive plans to get close to your son would be good.
Old 14-01-2015, 11:08   #24

My son and I are very close. This is just a dream we have together that I'd like to make happen. I'm very involved with the kids. I coach his little league team, go out on quads together, do school work together, museums and such. Life is not only what our government says it should be and what society deems is safe or proper to do with our children.... My oldest was home schooled and raised around hard core bikers, she has a full scholarship and is studying to be a psychiatrist. I believe as a parent it's our job to guide and be involved in every aspect of their life.

Old 14-01-2015, 20:35   #25

Boat: 1981 Mainship II

Been the scooter route. 8 mo. in Europe on one. Lived pretty much for me. Now, 30 yrs. later am setting up for 2 yr cruise w/ childhood partner. (Re-met after 47 yrs). Sure. I'm an old guy, but all of life is still ahead, right? We'll take off end of this year. Trawler. (I did say I was an old guy). just know that all we have is today, and maybe tomorrow. So whether or not to go for it doesn't seem like much of an option. And with the wife's blessing? No brainier. Smooth water to you, make wise decisions, and always remember where the compass points. (There's only one compass, there's only one direction.......)
Old 15-01-2015, 08:21   #26

Boat: O'Day DaySailer 16

Having grown up in a home of dysfunctional parents, this is something I would have loved my dad to have done. My dad is unapologetic for everything, he feels the problems lie within his children - none of which have a positive relationship with him. I'm glad to see you owning up to your life choices and make your son's dreams come true. Kids get used to these disappointments by becoming despondent, jaded and isolated.

I've made peace with my past and let things go so that I can move forward and onward. My spouse and I have adopted a boy three years ago and I'm able to parent my son in a positive and loving home. We'll be sailing this summer, I'm so looking forward to this.

Enjoy the time with your son. Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 15-01-2015, 13:54   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C&C40T 1980

Awesome! Go for it! I'm continuing to do it in spite of my friends and family not understanding it. They care, worry, but now have more confidence in my ability--I keep returning safely. Going to/from Hawaii on my own sailboat that I set up myself was a really great milestone. My granddaughter and I are the best "boat girls" together since she was ten. I am very safety conscious--very important.
Old 18-01-2015, 21:15   #28

After much research, videos, blogs, and more research I've decided to look for a catamaran. I've been looking at the 8 and 9m's. Any suggestions on cats? I will be moving in 30 days to Punta Gorda Florida and will be ready to purchase.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:26   #29

hello- when you come to antigua- let me know-I should be able to show you round the Island-

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-03-2015, 11:53   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Everyone has problems. Maybe less extensive plans to get close to your son would be good.
Sounds like your dream make sure it is his. What about a real education during that time. If you have them covered go for it. Just keep in mind the experience would be great for him but probably has little marketability?
Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: