Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-01-2014, 13:40   #61
Bailing as fast as I can.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Swanson 42
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Terminalcitygirl: I'd recommend going to look at boats when it's pouring rain. We did that once and discovered the most amazing leaks! Ann
Or get a hose and simulate rain while someone inside looks for leaks.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 14:10   #62
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Tremendously tempted to blow kitty on The (?) boat. Help.

I need to add here, that our use of the runners is due to the boat being a fractional rig boat with not the most robust mast sections, not to whether the spreaders are in line or swept back. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 16:54   #63

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Tremendously tempted to blow kitty on The (?) boat. Help.

I've read all the posts, here are my thoughts:

The CR310 is a nice, lightweight, performance boat. It will be fun to sail, it will sail fast in any direction in any weather, if you know how to manage the sail plan. The runners will be important but you can live with that, Judy and I have done for 27 years. The nearly new or unused sails are a good point, sails are expensive.

However...The boat will not have much room for your stuff. 31 ft is small unless you are young, flexible, and adventursome, and willing to do without, and this will be a small 31footer. Secondly, it has been sitting with out much use for 11 years; expect nothing to work. Make SURE you get a good survey, without fail.

My advice, and it has been said already in the thread, if you like the boat, make an offer, whatever you think you'd pay for it, see what happens, if the owner is offended and won't sell, there are other boats, many similar boats in fact, for good prices. But maybe your offer will be accepted, so buy it and sail around BC and Washington waters for a couple of years and get to know the boat and sailing. It is a great place to cruise, one of the best in the world. Go to Barkley Sound in July or August. Fantastic, but you will have fog. So what? The oysters and salmon will make up for it.

Have fun, even race a little, the camaraderie is wonderful. Most of all, sail it constantly, good weather and bad.

Then you will be in a much better position to know what you want.

Then I'd also say, and I know its not your plan, but save the $8000 shipping and spend it on keeping the boat in Van. Later you can sail down the coast to Mexico. There is nothing about the Bahamas and the east coast which make it the only place to have fun in the sun on a boat. The east coast and the islands are pretty crowded anyhow.

wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: