Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-01-2014, 01:45   #46

Re: Tremendously tempted to blow kitty on The (?) boat. Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqsn767 View Post
Why don't you get a mortgage on the boat? You can put most down then finance the rest, and if you don't do it then your going to have A BIG'OL "what if" ....
We are in fact allergic to debt! We break out in welts and an itchy rash whenever the idea of paying interest fleetingly crosses our minds. Yes, this economy hates us.

We had debt once. Of course we paid it off right around the time that interest rates tanked. Go figure.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:37   #47

I understand that..Have you thought about using a broker

Sent from my C811 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 05-01-2014, 06:49   #48
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Some boats are better setup for cruising than others at the same length. We were simply AMAZED at how much stuff we had stored on our Wauquiez Pretorien, at 35 feet. Go check one out, there are always a few for sale in Seattle. Then, come and buy ours, it is ready to go....

Chris
Old 05-01-2014, 15:06   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Terminalcitygirl:

I'd recommend going to look at boats when it's pouring rain. We did that once and discovered the most amazing leaks!

Ann
Old 05-01-2014, 15:33   #50

Well we've decided we're going to call the broker for a chat this week and plan on making the haul to Seattle for a looksy next weekend. What do folks know about Charles Rutgerson build quality, sailing characteristics? What might be a fair price for a yacht such as this one is we were to consider an offer? And has anyone shipped a 30 foot yacht across the country recently? What did it cost you? This yacht may well be beyond our financial capabilities and not the ideal location obviously for Plan A but it does tick almost all of our boxes which is not easy to do as I'm extremely choosy
Old 05-01-2014, 19:33   #51
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Terminalcitygirl:

I'd recommend going to look at boats when it's pouring rain. We did that once and discovered the most amazing leaks!

Ann

Me too! The broker was displeased, to say the least.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 19:46   #52

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Well we've decided we're going to call the broker for a chat this week and plan on making the haul to Seattle for a looksy next weekend. What do folks know about Charles Rutgerson build quality, sailing characteristics? What might be a fair price for a yacht such as this one is we were to consider an offer? And has anyone shipped a 30 foot yacht across the country recently? What did it cost you? This yacht may well be beyond our financial capabilities and not the ideal location obviously for Plan A but it does tick almost all of our boxes which is not easy to do as I'm extremely choosy
Charles who?

in your situation i wouldn't buy an 'oddball' boat. will be harder to sell if you change your mind...
Old 05-01-2014, 19:48   #53
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I don't know anything about these boats, don't recall the design. But looking at the full specs, she seems like a light weekender to me.

Dimensions
LOA: 31 ft 0 in
Beam: 9 ft 10 in
LWL: 25 ft 7 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 5 in
Displacement: 8818 lbs
Ballast: 3197 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 2 in

8800 lbs displacement for a 31fter is pretty light, IMHO.

Fresh Water Tanks: 1 Stainless steel (50 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Stainless steel (18 Gallons)

Really small tankage. Doesn't say how big the holding tank is.

• The hull and deck are made of isopolyester with glassfiber
reinforcement and multiaxial roving. Everything made by hand, according to
the sandwich method with balsa as distance material. The hull is constructed
with stingers, engine bed, mastfoot and keel reinforcement is integrated and
laminated from stem to stern.
• All structural bulkheads are laminated to the hull and deck.
• Swim platform with boarding ladder
• lead keel

All good, especially the lead keel, but what about the balsa cored construction? Does this extend below the waterline?

• Selden 7/8 aluminum rig from stepped at the keel
• Selden rodkick boom vang
• Halyards and reefs led to cockpit
• Backstay adjuster, steaming light, deck light, and Windex
• Aluminum toe rails
• Teak deck handles
• Two skylights
• Four Anderson self tailing winches
• Genoa tracks
• Anchor locker in bow
• Tiller steering
• Furlex furler
• Lofrans “Marlin” electric windlass with vertical drum
• Bruce anchor with 50 feet of chain, 250 feet of ropeSails:
• All sail control lines led aft

Nice enough rig, except she's a fractional sloop. Is that what you're looking for?

• 2002 full size, full-batten Dacron main with two sets of reef point
(never used)
• 2002 slightly undersized main (fair condition)
• 2005 Quantum 110% jib (never used)
• 2002 110% jib (fair condition after repairs)
• 2002 100% blade jib (good condition)

Why are most of the nice sails circa 2002 but "never used"? Has this boat been sitting basically unused that long?

It has an Espar and some other extras, nice enough interior. I think this would be a fine boat for a summer cruise in the islands, but for me I wouldn't consider it suited for much more.

Old 05-01-2014, 23:22   #54

to ship that far and accrost the country .. figure $8,000 at least and more likely closer to 11,000 or 12,000 you probably dont want your baby shipped by the lowest bidder I have heard horror stories but there are people who specialize in boat shipping. if I was to ship I would go with one of them.
Old 06-01-2014, 00:08   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

I cruised on a larger boat before I bought my 27'. I don't want to get into a big vs small debate, but a smaller boat can also make you happy, particularly if you're on a budget

There's also a ton of variation in boats of the same length. This seems especially as you get smaller.
Old 06-01-2014, 00:25   #56

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've emailed the company to see if the balsa core extends below the waterline, I was curious about that too. Also hope to have more info about construction and use after we call the broker. $8k for a cross-country ship isn't too surprising but still ouch! It's not likely we'll go this route but for putzing around here for a few years and/or the ICW and Bahamas? She could be alright...
Old 06-01-2014, 00:29   #57
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've emailed the company to see if the balsa core extends below the waterline, I was curious about that too. Also hope to have more info about construction and use after we call the broker. $8k for a cross-country ship isn't too surprising but still ouch! It's not likely we'll go this route but for putzing around here for a few years and/or the ICW and Bahamas? She could be alright...

Just give a shout if you need to utilize my massive Fisheries Supply discount while you're in town!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:31   #58

I know a good broker here in Florida

Sent from my C811 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05   #59
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

We owned a westerly Fulmar with similar specs. She was their idea of a racer-cruiser. It was a very fun boat to sail in most conditions, but was slow downwind unless you used a spinnaker, as the swept spreaders of the fractional rig got in the way.

The original owner had cruised her -- loaded down with cruising gear, she was overloaded. You have to look at that displacement #, and add from there. If you are bringing 2k of gear, and you could do that very easily, how much of the displacement is that as a percentage?

We sold her once we made up our minds that we wanted to cruise, as she was too small and light for our intended usage. Looking back, we made the right decision.

Look at the underbody of the boat you are looking at. With a fin keeled boat, that will be used cruising, you want the profile of the rest of the hull to make a dent below the waterline, to help with directional stability and comfort. Compare that waterline in person, and then go and look at a Wauquiez Pretorien (and lots of other boats) that is ( are) out of the water. The Pretorien is a performance cruiser, designed by an avid ocean racer. He knew how to make a hull perform, but yet also be comfortable in ocean conditions. The shape almost has a whale body shape to it. I cannot find any line drawings for the CR, but you should pay attention to the hull shape.

Also, spend ALOT fo time sitting, laying down, and measuring for egonomics. Unless you are all under 5'10", you may find that the CR proportions are not well suited to long term comfort. Having not been on one, I don't know, but it is helpful to bring a tape measure, as they do not lie, and in the excitement of seeing a boat you really like, you can overlook all sorts of important considerations.

Chris
Old 06-01-2014, 14:02   #60

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

terminalcitygirl,

We've cruised on boats with in-line spreaders, and on this boat with swept back spreaders. I think in-line is better for cruising:

1-- with in-line spreaders you can wing the main out farther without chafe

2-- you don't have to tack the runners whenever you tack or gybe

We had our new mainsail cut so that the first reef drops the sail far enough that we can leave both runners set. That's an indicator of how much of an annoyance was involved with the continual runner use, and the desire to simplify boat handling when the wind and seas are up.

You will find the small fuel capacity limiting. If you have to wait for wind instead of continuing to make progress along the route, what catches up to you may not be what you'll like. For local coastal cruising, you'll be able to make do. Depends on your ultimate strategy, if you want to start small then move up, save your money; if you want to get your cruising boat now, go ahead, with your eyes open. Boat lust is a powerful influence.

Ann

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: