Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 14:55   #31

Re: Tremendously tempted to blow kitty on The (?) boat. Help.

If you are going to spend a couple more years on dirt, can you "rent out" a share or two of the boat to some other sailors to lower your net cost when you do take off? Kinda like what you did in buying a share in someone elses boat this past year. Just a thought. Good luck to you guys and peace to your cat.
jahillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 15:04   #32

Boat: Liberty 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Rebel, I was just pointing out that a 37' will hold more stuff than a 31'. Is that really up for debate? That extra 6' is comfort and supplies. Once you have a boat, switching up is no quick task. I've been trying to do it, but just put a new
3ym30 in 10 days ago. The longer you own the more financially trapped you get. Buy bigger to begin with, not huge just bigger.
If you love camping in small tents and exploring caves then buy something less than 35'.

Living on a small boat is definitely not for everyone. For us 42' was the minimum boat length that would allow us to liveaboard, work and cruise for extended periods.

What is your minimum length?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 15:14   #33

Boat: Niagara 35

We bought a Niagara 35 in the PNW for about 60k and we probably overpaid. That boat is way too much and you certainly can find a capable boat around here in your price range.

We plan to sail these waters for a few more years before heading south. Remember, though, that heading from the PNW to Sea of Cortez is a very different experience than heading from Florida to the Bahamas. Think about what trip you want to do and then figure out whether to buy a boat here or in Florida. Don't change your plans based on the location of a boat you like (especially an overpriced, undersized one).

BTW, I'm in Vancouver, so PM me if you want to chat local stuff or just generally. We should do another Vancouver CF meet-up some time. I missed the first one.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 15:35   #34

Plan A is a year in the Bahamas, getting more sailing experience and taking it easy until the money runs out. My health is not great so daily vitamin D and swimming therapy is a priority. Plan B was being formulated as we were considering whether we should head to Seattle this weekend to look at the CR...

Liveaboard in Vancouver is not desirable and difficult to find so would be a short-term desperation move really. Buying the boat now means additional costs of say $400-$500 a month for moorage and insurance and maintenance and such and won't allow us to add to the cruising kitty as quickly as we'd like. Not crazy about offering to share with strangers, I think the Catalina share we had was fine for our partner because it was an old, crappy, very basic boat which is why we kinda want our own now. What is our minimum LOA? Well we learned on a 30 which seemed doable and have sailed the 27 - which was small. My health means easy to handle especially for one is important and we like simple systems and cozy and keeping costs down so I'd say 30-36 is our sweet spot.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 15:45   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Terminalcitygirl:

Now that you've had quite a lot of input to consider, I'd like to reinforce what someone else wrote:

If you spend some time cruising the Canadian Gulf in a smaller boat (everything costs less on a smaller boat) say something in the 27 ft. range or so, you WILL be better equipped to know what you want.

My husband and I did this very thing, took the beloved 30 ft. Yankee to Hawaii and back after coastal cruising on vacations. We learned that we liked water sailing">blue water sailing, and that that boat, with its 8 ft. beam and tendency to sail on its ear would not suit for the long term, and we moved up to a 36' aft cockpit sloop that we lived aboard and cruised for 18 years before buying our present one.

Both center cockpits and aft cockpit boats have their passionate advocates; you and your husband should pick what you want. [And there are threads here on CF about them.] The main downside IMO, to CC boats is that they tend to be wetter in the cockpit, leading to the construction of huge cockpit covers, which make the boat more comfortable but sail worse -- a discomfort to me-- due to the loss of windward performance. If you like a boat with clearly divided living spaces, the CC may be your cup of tea. If you like a more open feeling, the aft cockpit may be for you. Here's where going aboard different styles of yachts for sale may serve you well.

Ann
Old 03-01-2014, 15:53   #36

I would just like to take this opportunity to point out how I think this thread is a good example of how the usual buying advice on CF is maddeningly frustrating!!! Most posters, and a good many of them with excellent credentials/ experience say this boat is way overpriced and so I believe them. Yet I read constantly that offering 15% less is standard and some posters have even said they would punch someone in the nose or at least be very offended and not even respond if offered 50% off list price!

This boat, aside from the teak decks which the broker assures only need to be cleaned (um, sure) looks to be in fairly new condition and decently equipped, the Swedish builder seems ok. It's small granted but other high quality boats like Dana's and Norseas and Hallberg Rassys seem to sell for similiar or greater prices even. Please nobody say "offer what the boat is worth to you" less I punch you in the nose!!! Such a cop out piece of crap advice. I've been watching the market for years and clearly am just as confused and clueless as ever
Old 03-01-2014, 15:57   #37

Boat: PSC Orion 27

With health issues you might want to reconsider your user name

I know the feeling of not getting enough vitamin D; from the Wet Coast myself, about 500 miles North of you.

You'd still be better off going South a couple times a winter and let someone else pay your moorage and repair bills until you're ready to escape for good.
IMHO

You know what opinions are like, everyone's got one and everyone else's stinks.

Goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:06   #38

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
I might have missed it but your said it was on the west coast, have you include the expense of getting our back to the east coast
I'm sure this thread will now go the way of the boat you should get. Good luck.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:12   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know when you look at the thread title, and then open the thread and first thing you talk about is having a sick cat, it had me wondering for a minute
I was wondering too. Is blowing the kitty anything like blowing a seal? Sounds totally personal.

There are lots of boats to be found on yacht club boards and in boat yards especially in that size. One of our buds found a nice sailboat with sound hull, good engine, good sails including a spinnaker on AMAZON for 2200. Fo that, you can afford some nice toys for the Nav station and more.

Lots of opportunities in the Great Lakes and NO SALT. Also season here is very short so a 10 year old boat may only have a few nice weekends under sail.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:42   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I was wondering too. Is blowing the kitty anything like blowing a seal? Sounds totally personal.
Thanks for the laugh! I thought I had put "cruising" kitty in the title but it was 2am so you know, things get missed... I had a moment after I posted it. Oh well.

And given the confusion of health issues + name I shall henceforth change my name to non-terminalcitygrl. Not terminal, just chronic and deteriorating... Also more justification for my impatience to go sailing now/ soon!
Old 03-01-2014, 18:28   #41

Boat: St Francis 50

You might want to consider a PDQ LRC 32 catamaran. There is one on yachtworld with twin straight shaft 18 hp diesels. Don't know if they're negotiable on price but this boat will take you around the Bahamas, has plenty of space, is comfortable at anchor, with shallow draft and you will probably get most of your money back when you sell.
Paul
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 14:31   #42
cruiser

I wouldn't get all concerned over what percentage your offers are. The boat is worth what you will pay for it, and your money is very real. If they are asking 90k, and you want to pay 62k that's reality. Your 62k is very real money, and who knows how much higher it was priced to have wiggle room. I wouldn't even bother to figure out what percentage it is of asking price.
I've read some of your threads and think you've been looking for well over a year? I remember one from roughly a year ago and it seemed similar. Just buy and go, every boat needs work, you won't avoid a bunch of major stuff by looking longer. Make lots of offers, don't get hooked on one and waste 4 months dealing with it before your on to the next.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 14:57   #43

Thanks for this Horror Hotel (good story behind that name? )
We have been looking for over a year and we've had lots of great advice here. We've crawled over a lot of boats, spent a summer doing a share and getting experience and revised our plans based on these experiences. The buying part is scary for us for a whole bunch of reasons so this is where we get stuck. We've also been limited far longer than we expected by our old cat who is kinda like that energizer bunny who keeps going and going... but staying with her and not subjecting her to life on a boat is a part of the plan that is not up for negotiation. So we keep looking and waiting and saving and thinking about ways we can revise the plan. Occasionally ideas/ opportunities come up and sometimes I like to ask for feedback here and it helps, but I'll work harder to curb that tendency lest I become tedious. Aw, I'm sure it's already too late for that
Old 04-01-2014, 15:17   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I just wanted to add that I know sometimes people get frustrated with new sailors buying their first boat queries but it really is such a big decision and were trying to be smart about it and not f*#% it up! Our situation is a little complicated, our income is limited, so things are taking some time to play out. We do appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and advice, lessons learned, and such. Thanks
That's why we're all here helping you to not spend your cruising kitten unwisely... 30-36' boats are becoming IMO more available as the trend toward 40+ continues...

1. Wait for the right boat... Patience pays tremendously in this game...
2. Buy a boat close enough to drive to.... Paying for "boat storage" because you've found the perfect boat nowhere near you is more commonly regretted than you think... Fees and moving costs are eaten up quickly...
3. If you are unsure of your ultimate plans... resale is important...

These are just tidbits more, but most here have given sound advice....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 15:28   #45

Why don't you get a mortgage on the boat? You can put most down then finance the rest, and if you don't do it then your going to have A BIG'OL "what if" ....

Sent from my C811 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
liqsn767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men