Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2007, 19:25   #16

Boat: Building a 65' catamaran at moment
pirate Sailing into dock isn't a hazardous undertaking if you know how.

I sailed a 9 ton 34 foot schooner in and out of dock a lot of times, sometimes by necessity and sometimes for fun, with no problem. Did it with other boats, too. Never had a problem-150 years ago every boat was docked that way-By the way, nylon doesn't float, but it is nice and springy. Polypropylene and some other new high-tech fibers float. Poly isn't very strong, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Rick, Lori & Shadow

Sorry for the harsh words. I totally didn't put 2 & 2 together concerning the mechanical breakdown being NO ENGINE and read it as the sail in was intentional!!

Happy sailing
OldYachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 17:13   #17

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYachtie View Post
I sailed a 9 ton 34 foot schooner in and out of dock a lot of times, sometimes by necessity and sometimes for fun, with no problem. Did it with other boats, too. Never had a problem-150 years ago every boat was docked that way-By the way, nylon doesn't float, but it is nice and springy. Polypropylene and some other new high-tech fibers float. Poly isn't very strong, though.

Jim, the owner of the boat is a highly experienced sailor, but the approach to our marina is challenging. First you have to sail down our narrow reach which is only approximately a nautical mile. You are sailing in a northeasterly direction with the wind behind you and the current running with you. That is the easy part. Then you have to swing and make a 90 degree turn through a very narrow breach, with the prevailing winds and current hitting you broadside. If you miss towards either the east or west you are on the rocks and there isn't enough room to make this a gradual turn. That is why all the sailboaters do this part under motor power and even then we have had to pull several of them off. There is more room once you get through the breach and you could easily sail into the slip.

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 20:02   #18

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
I have personally only had to tow another on one occasion and that was done with a long line from the stern of my vessel. I can only agree that close quarters requires a side tie up if not to the stern hip of the towed vessel depending upon draft, displacement, steerage, etc. There are so many variables to be taken into account as is the nature of what we do. Either way, there is much to be learned from this thread as it is loaded with great advise.
spencer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 03:18   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A good general description of towing techniques from the MARINE CREWMAN'S HANDBOOK < FM 55-501 Table of Contents >

Chapter 19 - TOWING: FM 55-501 CHAPTER 19

Below: Hip Towing a barge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HipTow.gif
Views:	187
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	2120  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 09:26   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
When I taught sailing the rule was to never tow a vessel larger than yourself. Better yet, have them put down their anchor and call vessel assist. Why risk damaging your vessel when all they have to do is hire a professional to get them back in safely? Is it really worth risking damaging your boat to the tune of thousands of dollars and possibly injuring someone in order to save someone else a $300 tow?

If someones life is in immediate danger, then sure, take them into tow and call the Coasties.

In our litigious society, you also become liable if you damage their vessel or injure someone. There are no good samaritan laws for towing.

Being a good samaritan by offering a tow gets more people into trouble.

Quite a number of times I have been waved over by people who want a tow. The first thing I suggest is that they put down their anchor. I then ask if they have a cell phone or a radio. If they don't then I offer to call vessel assist for them. I know it sounds harsh but it is not worth assuming all the risks involved.

Don't even think about pulling someone off who is aground. Guess who will be paying the yard bill if you break something?

Think twice before taking someone into tow. Are they really in immediate danger?..or are they just trying to save the cost of hiring a professional?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 10:16   #21

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Good stuff here.

Learn a towman's hitch. You can count on throwing it off, even under high load.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mayday | BOOOOM! »