Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 12:27   #61

Boat: TRT 1200 GT
Re: Tough Day - Thunderstorm

Not every zipper is created equal. Maybe the zipper in your pants can't cope with 50 knots of wind, but since they even use zippers on the luff of jibs instead of hanks, there surely are zippers that can.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 14:36   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As Ann pointed out upthread, plastic zippers do degrade in long UV exposure, and they cam become quite weak, failing under stress. If the boom bag in question didn't have a canvas flap covering the zip, this could have been the cause of failure.

Our own boom bag design has a full length YKK #10 zip with a flap covering it. The previous one lasted over 10 years with the zip being functional to the end when the Sunbrella died from chafe and sun exposure. Went through several storm force winds and was the sole means of closure... worked fine.

Jim
Old 08-07-2019, 07:28   #63

Boat: Beneteau 323

We sail way out East on Long Island, so the storms that day did not reach us at all. I am also of the school that does not detach my main halyard, and have never had a problem even when caught in thunderstorms (which I try to avoid but, memorably, have not always succeeded in doing). The microburst that hit the OP was likely pretty far off the charts, and while preparation, both physical and mental, is the most important thing, second guessing is quite easy from an armchair or on a calm day. In reviewing his situation, it seems to me that the issue may well be that his stack pack has an open front, causing the boom bag to become like a balloon, inflating and putting undue pressure on the zipper. Our boom bag is closed and wrapped around the mast, so I suspect it would not have the same problem, but I appreciate the opportunity to go out to the boat and review what might happen next time.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:49   #64

Boat: Hunter, Legend 40.5

My Doyle stack pack has snaps attached to one side the lazy jacks. So in a hurry you hook the snap to the other side of the jacks trapping the main. It can’t go anywhere. Also have a full zip, with a front piece that goes around the mast which closes the front. Works well
charris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:02   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I do not advocate taking the sails down when faced with heavy weather.
+1 unless you're dealing with true "storm tactics" that I've never been in, sails up is always better, assuming you have a nice deep reef. And if you dont have a deep reef, it's time to get one or stay closer to home and only on clear days.

Also, definitely agree that a stack pack doesnt stow a sail. I had sail ties that I put on inside my stack pack. In fact, in heavy weather at anchor, the stack pack came off to reduce wind age. Stack pack alone was only used for a quick drop for lunch when it sounded like pointless effort to add the sail ties.

I always run my Halyard under a sail tie. Gets it away from the mast a bit so it doesnt slap and also secures it with a strap rated for thousands of pounds.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:50   #66

Boat: Hake 32RK

Even when the sail is in the bag I always put three sail ties around the sail at the head, middle and leech end and tie it down tight to the boom for just this reason. Once wind gets into the sail bag its like a wind tunnel.
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09   #67

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskflicka View Post
While I appreciate the insight you have provided. I think the fact that I was asking for advice should have already indicated I was receptive to receiving it.

Some people think you need to insult and tear people down to motivate them, they are "bosses", the best lift them up with a hand, those are leaders.
ROFLMAO!!!

Well said. Knowledge can be imparted without making the other feel like an ass.
And you, SFlicka, turned yourself into a mirror.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:12   #68

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Sometimes good advice is said in such a harsh way (even with good intentions) that the advice is diminished by the tone. To call someone incompetent when you are not there is completely unwarranted. You, of course, can do anything you want, but condemning others this way is not productive.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:33   #69

Boat: Corbin 39

After dropping the main we always pull the halyard from above the mainsail and bring it down to the mast winch and secure that tight so the main is being down-hauled. Then if you have a flap cover for the front you can wrap over the halyard. Always zip the stack cover.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 13:35   #70

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Sflicka,

Thanks for the post! Good information to prepare for similar situation. I sail from Chesapeake to Newport, and the s
Sound. This will certainly improve my storm prep. Thank you! As a side note, my boat is very tender. I usually sail with a postage stamp if jib out in these conditions. My furling line is cleared of, not just in a clutch. One time, in a blow (30 ish knots), that line snapped, and the whole jib went out in a flash and we were on our ears. I let the jib sheet fly, and was able to hand turn the roller furling to get the jib in. I could have brought the jib down, but not in that wind.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 13:51   #71

Here's the best advice I can give: "Just tap the glass as you pass, and if it's falling low-- Put on your gear, and double reef--- you're in for a blow".
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 15:03   #72

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Our own boom bag design has a full length YKK #10 zip with a flap covering it. The previous one lasted over 10 years with the zip being functional to the end when the Sunbrella died from chafe and sun exposure. Went through several storm force winds and was the sole means of closure... worked fine.

Jim
Yep, that’s me too. I made my own stacpac using the previous badly deteriorated Doyle version as a pattern and used that same YKK zippers. When attaching the zippers, I stitched them on with the edge of the zip recessed in a little over half of the zipper width under the edge of the panel. This way the two sides of the stacpac panels come together to completely cover the zip without being a purpose-built flap.

I’ve never had the need to protect the zipper from a blow. As longer-term storage (when not on the boat) I have a panel that zips to both sides of the front opening and goes around the front of the mast. I guess this prevents the bag from “blowing up” and bursting the zipper. But as far as putting sail ties around the stacpac, I’ve never found a need for that.

One recommendation I can offer to anyone stitching new zippers in, avoid those plastic “continuous-loop” zippers. They don’t like salt accumulation and start jamming after a short while. I used a heavy duty one when I first built my stacpac, had to cut it out with a box cutter at the end.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 15:45   #73

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Happy you made it home safely.

A little further east on the Sound, where I was on that day, we had winds that exceeded 74mph. These hurricane-strength winds came on fast, accompanied by torrential rain and hail.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:21   #74

Boat: Farr 1020 10.2 m

Nature is not kind. As suggested, take the halyard off (routinely) and attach it secure. Sail ties around the boom are prudent. Reduce windage, including lowering the boom (if you can) and lashing it to the deck or stanchions. Furling headsail? Furl it tight, and secure the sheets with sail ties. Tie everything tight that you can! The wind loves a bit of freedom, as you’ve found.

Re assessing possible damage. If you are confident, survey the boat yourself, top to bottom, end to end. Otherwise get a professional to do it. If (hopefully) nothing is wrong it will be “a waste of time / money”. However, if you discover some glitch, no matter how small, it will be worth the world. And you will sleep peacefully!
Fidsplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 23:52   #75

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

OP, could you clarify how the main got out of control? Was the sail only held by clew tack and halyard on head, with nothing holding the luff to the mast? If so, did the slides on the luff break, were they not in the track, or is this a main whose luff rope goes up in a groove in the mast?

Wind pressure on halyard definitely can at least partly raise main, have seen it happen.

"Incompetence" is a term that is completely inappropriate, in my opinion, so don't pay any attention to it!
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote