Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2008, 07:02   #1

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Thunderstorm in the Swedish archipelago

This was a few years back, 2003 I think. We (ex girlfriend and me) were cruising the archipelago of the swedish west coast. We had spent the night achored in a beautiful natural harbor between a couple of islands and the plan was to sail the 5 miles to the nearest port to shop for new groceries and charcoal for the BBQ. The boat by the way was (still is but sold) a Misil II, a 24 feet GRP Hallberg Rassy from 1974 Misil ll - Entusiastsajten the boat was not equipped with an engine, we sailed everywhere.

Said and done, we set off and had a beautiful sail in hot and sunny weather. As we were shopping we started hearing a distant thunder, and huge dark cluds were towering on the horizon. Weather was still beautiful though. Our first mistake was to set out again to go back to our anchorage, I know all too well what those thunderstorms can be like. Half way there a gust hit us from the side and we heeld over about 70 degrees. There were lots of boats around, most of them motoring and most of them turned oround to head for a safe harbor. Within 5 minutes we had the storm jib up and the main sail reefed as much as possible. Winds were now around 20 - 25 knots, but we expected more. We too turned around to head for safety. This was the second mistake, a crowded port is hardly the safest place during a storm. Anyway, we headed back, going up wind through a narrow straight winds picked up (we later heard thet it peaked at a little over 70 knots) and it started to rain. Bolts of lightning struck the water and islands all around. The boat was still doing a really good job going up wind, mainly I think, becuse the water was virtually flat between the islands. We, however, had a really hard time seing anything with rain hitting our faces at 70 knots. The ride down wind was a lot more comfortable. We were half way back to our little anchorage again when the wind suddenly died out, the sky cleared and the weather was beautiful again. We got back, dropped anchor, got below and...

I still rank this as one of my top five sailing experiences. We made a few mistakes but I had complete confidence in the boat and we were both quite experienced cruising those waters. Next time thogh, I'll just tie the boat up, sit back and open a beer.

/Hampus
Old 23-05-2008, 07:37   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I keep my snorkel mask in the cockpit at all times. Unless of course I am snorkeling. Your cheeks may get thousands of stings, but at least you can see.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 16:48   #3
kdk

to hampas

heck..... I don't know if I am doing this correctly. I would like to e mail Hampas if they have a minute to speak on some of the ins and outs of sail-only cruising.
I ask beacause I plan on buying a used boat in 2010 will be travelling alone and desire low very low carbon footprint living ergo...sailing not motoring as often as possible.
Not having done this before did I needle the thread?
kdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 18:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi Kdk, maybe not quite the correct way of going about it, but we don't penalize anone for "having a go" Welcome. The best way to do this is go to a forum topic heading that bes suits your question. So first step is to ensure you are the main page portal so a you see all the subject headings. Take a read through as you my find the question has already been asked once before. I am sure it has. You can either join in on a subject or start a new one. Instead of targeting one member like Hampas, you would be better to as as a general open question. The are literally 100's of memebers here that are doing, have done or are going to do what you are asking.
Have fun,

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc