Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 08:54   #1

Boat: CL16 (looking for a cruiser)
Question Throw it Overboard

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard someone say that they “threw the damn thing overboard”. Well tell us, then, what is the most “interesting” item that you’ve ever deep- sixed?
InlandMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:12   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
How about an obnoxious client - does that count?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
My Seagull outboard. Damn thing would only work downwind leaving me to row back upwind.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearon 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:21   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It's not environmentally correct but when we first got our boat there was a bag full of various blocks. We failed a genny block. I installed a used spare. We failed that one. I installed another spare and failed that one.

I then sat down and started chucking every used block in the bag overboard. My partner thought I was nuts. I told him I didn't ever want to be tempted to use anything out of that bag again.

On my next trip to the US I bought all new hardware and pulleys for the vang, mainsheet, genny cars and backstay.

I told my partner that a 200lb guy should be able to pull as hard as he likes on deck hardware and it should never fail. I hate chasing problems from one place to the next.

I put the used non-failed stuff in a bag for backup - Ironic eh?

Last year we failed the car on the mainsheet traveler. We had a "local" fix done. It started jamming and I looked at it and it was about to fail again. We bought a whole new traveler setup from Harken.

I also hate fixing the same damn thing every year.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:54   #5

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
A dozen years ago I had purchased a 1/3 sheet finihing sander from Sears on sale. I never used it but I loaned it to a good friend who kept it a long time. I finally had use for it got it back and my "friend" had worn the bearings out. I finished my small project and threw it right in the drink. My neighbor at the time was a stodgey old engineer. Furious and red in the face like he was going to pop a blood vessal asked me "Why did you do that!" I calmly explained "float testing... ", a prior experience with Sears service ( Not the people, I simply got a very beat up replacement for a practically new tool) and my unwillingness to spend two trips to Sears to get a tool fixed that would remind me of the experience. A new $39 sander for MYSELF was in order.
Jim
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:13   #6

While many items have been unintentionally float tested from my boat, the best stories come from my time in the Navy. My ship got a new chief engineer. He the mental capacity of cabbage, but issued orders as if he were Patton reincarnated. One day, he was inspecting a compartment for cleanliness and found a pretty sad looking pump that he couldn't identify. He told the petty officer in charge of that compartment to throw the pump overboard. The petty officer did what he was told, knowing exactly what the pump was but not really liking the engineer. When it came time to re-certify our flight deck, it was discovered that our $50,000 helicopter defueling pump was somehow missing. That gaff, along with numerous others, got me installed as the chief engineer.

On another occasion, we were test firing tomahawk missiles. At about 10 seconds left on the countdown, a seagull landed near the launcher. By 5 seconds, he was hopping on the blast pad. Shortly thereafter, a flaming ball of feathers shot over the rail. The entire episode was videotaped. I'm waiting to see it pop up some day on you tube.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:28   #7

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Speaking of the Navy. What about a CIWS barrel? Uh Chief? Oops.

They actually sent divers in the water in Norfolk to retrieve it.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:30   #8

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBrett View Post

On another occasion, we were test firing tomahawk missiles. At about 10 seconds left on the countdown, a seagull landed near the launcher. By 5 seconds, he was hopping on the blast pad. Shortly thereafter, a flaming ball of feathers shot over the rail. The entire episode was videotaped. I'm waiting to see it pop up some day on you tube.

Brett

Even more fun with an ASROC! Then you also get to watch the GMs resurface the entire deck with non-skid.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:01   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
You Dropped What?

Some years ago we were participating in a regatta during which there was some stormy weather. At one point a woman's voice came over the VHF calling the Race Committee to announce that her yacht--which until then had been winning--was withdrawing. The RTO on the Committee Boat asked if there were any problems or injuries. The lady responded. "Not Yet". "Not Yet?" said the RTO. "No" said the lady, "But I've dropped alll of our winch handles overboard and my husband is fit to be tied, so please check on me when you get back to the Club!"
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its a good thing the continental plates shift causing all this junk we throw into the oceans, to eventually subduct down into the core of the Earth...ultimately getting recycled.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:48   #11

'I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard someone say that they “threw the damn thing overboard”. Well tell us, then, what is the most “interesting” item that you’ve ever deep- sixed?"

Threw my son overboard. Sucker thought he could teach me how to sail.

Steve
somers12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 15:22   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
A waffle iron which never worked right, and a ss holding tank with bad leaks in the seams. The latter was in very deep water.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 21:45   #13

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
My deck hand on a commercial fishing boat. That little sucker was a good swimmer. He was also a fast learner. Only happened once.
Old 24-02-2009, 22:50   #14

Boat: CL16 (looking for a cruiser)
So Many Folks in the Brine

Crappy waffle irons and busted blocks OK. (ALL the winch handles!? ) But, geez, THREE actual human beings tossed over the bulwarks!? An obnoxious client, a guy threw his son overboard and another guy tossed his deck hand into the brine. Yikes.
InlandMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 02:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Speaking of the Navy. What about a CIWS barrel? Uh Chief? Oops.
They actually sent divers in the water in Norfolk to retrieve it.
They lost a Phalanx Gattling gun overboard?
How & when did that happen?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote