Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2009, 10:31   #61
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Was on a deep sea fishing head boat. The guy a couple of spots down had a long fight with a big AJ and lost it right before the mate was going in with gaff. In disgust the irate fisherman chucked his expensive looking rod and reel in. He actually got it back when someone on the boat snagged it off the bottom and asked
"Is this yours?"
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 11:12   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you never ever never had anything jump out of your hands while repairing or whatever on board your boat--never ever???? nor had wind blow something over????
if that is the case you havent been on board very much.....lol

appalled is the word you were seeking???
Did I touch a nerve?

Yes, I've had things go over BY ACCIDENT, who hasn't? It's the dileberate throwing overboard that I am referring.

Thanks so much for the spelling lesson.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 17:44   #63

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I lost a 1/4 allen wrench last week delivering my new to me boat home.

Tis but a small morsel of what is to come I am sure.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 19:29   #64

Boat: 44 footer
I haven't purposefully tossed anything into the briney.

Most ironic: I lost two hole saw arbors on the same day stepping off the dock. One, fell through a hole in the bag. So I decided I'd be smart, after going back to the store to get another. I planned it out, and held the box so it couldn't take a dive... Sploosh... Flew right out one flap on the side of the box.

Of course, I had to make a value judgment of 20 bucks laying on the right there beside the dock, and the 50 degree water...

Accidentally dropped a 2x3 foot steel plate overboard, when a davit I thought was one piece turned out to be two. Waiting for the water to warm up a bit before donning the scuba gear and grabbing that one...

3 rolls of beautiful, blue, shop rags. For some reason my available days to work on my boat seem to involve the wind blowing a gale. One night I had to fish out a 12 ounce container of West Systems 407 one night, that followed a roll over the side.

Most annoying: Worn out hook and loop pad on my random orbit sander... 5 inch measured less than 4. Would shoot sanding discs like skeet.

Biggest loss: A jon boat. Did a titanic impersonation while I was installing an outboard bracket. I had it tied tight to the transom, and evidently my dad (300+ lbs) exceeded it's available bouyancy the moment he untied the line to the dock... blowing white caps down the ICW in Coinjock, NC!

Biggest almost: Sailing a Paceship 23 down wind, gybe... and the sliding hatch cover launched off the cabin top into the main sail. That was a bit interesting!

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 19:38   #65

Boat: Farrier f27
Not long after I moved aboard in Maui one morning I threw the alarm clock overboard.
A couple years later it might be said that I threw a sweet young lady over (actually just pushed her in). The funny thing was she was partially sitting on a small cleat & it caught her bikini bottom which tore & fell off. She understandably pissed & embarrassed and I don't know if I made up for that.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 20:22   #66
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
<snip>. . . I threw a sweet young lady over (actually just pushed her in). The funny thing was she was partially sitting on a small cleat & it caught her bikini bottom which tore & fell off. She understandably pissed & embarrassed and I don't know if I made up for that.
I'll bet you meant to write "She was understandably . . . " but either way, it's pretty funny.

TaoJones
Old 20-05-2009, 22:20   #67

Boat: Farrier f27
Yes, Tao dropping the was kind of changes the sentence.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 14:04   #68

Boat: Gullfstar 50
I was bargemaster on the 'City of Seward' during the Exxon Valdez cleanup. While maneuvering it into position, the Crowley Maritime tug employee was aboard and talking to the tug captain via $3000.00 sat phone. The reception was a bit fuzzy due to low battery. After a few words that I won't print here, he gave it a burial at sea. Then he looked at me..."Can I borrow your phone?"
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 15:14   #69

Boat: PDQ 36 "Grizabella"
Quote:
Not long after I moved aboard in Maui one morning I threw the alarm clock overboard.
A couple years later it might be said that I threw a sweet young lady over (actually just pushed her in). The funny thing was she was partially sitting on a small cleat & it caught her bikini bottom which tore & fell off. She understandably pissed & embarrassed and I don't know if I made up for that.
Randy,

How exactly does one live aboard in Maui? That was the original thought that got me intereseted in cruising but I keep reading about very restrictive anchoring laws in Hawaii.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I once threw a stale bagle over....for the fishes of course
holomoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 20:01   #70

Boat: Privilege 39
I lost my glasses overboard. In only a few feet, but muddy bay marina water. I sat there for about 90 minutes with the net and got nothing. Since I'm blind without them, and didn't have a spare pair aboard at the moment (ooops), I went off to the local 1-hour glasses place with my prescription in hand. The exact second they were bringing out my brand new glasses, my brother-in-law calls that they scooped up mine. At least now I've got a spare pair aboard!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 21:11   #71

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
[1] The guy who was recovering my squabs (who kindly threw them on the deck as he fell - a true professional).
[2] The $3,000 sensor head for a scientific multi-sensor giving conductivity, pH and all sorts of stuff (took the prop half a second to ditch; the replacement took six weeks to arrive by air mail!).
[3] Several dinners I cooked for myself (and I never get seasick!).

Just vaguely surprised we haven't heard from the US navy guys on those aircraft carriers leaving Vietnam. Saw lots of Huey's and all sorts of toys getting deep sixed ...
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 00:45   #72

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m
My anchor...... regularly!! :-)
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:45   #73

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
A whole 2 cyl Volvo diesel engine. The PO has left the boat unattended for so long that the scupper holes in the cockpit filled up with bird feathers and leaves. The next rain ( it doesn't rain 1/2 of the year here) filled up the cockpit and the engine compartment with fresh water. Of course the batteries were long dead at that point so no bilge pump at all, the engine was a congealed mass of rust when I bought the boat. I threw it overboard one big heavy chunk at a time. It took me a year to get the whole thing apart and out of there.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30   #74

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Unintentionally: my wind generator. A noisy beast I don't miss at all!
Intentionally: my wind generator's mounting post. It had been hanging in the water a few weeks and was a fouled mess.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:08   #75

Quote:

Guilty as well.