Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 21:11   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
This Is What Happens When You Don't Pay Your Fees . . .

This is not my boat (trihull) but if someone in our marina/yard is delinquent in their monthly payments by more then 90 days they loose the boat, one way or another.

Really a sad sight. The mast was cut into 3 pieces and the hull was in pretty good shape. As well all the rigging and fittings just went off to the junk yard.

The last boat was a 26' aluminum powerboat, but I didn't get pictures. And another trihull was just crushed and shoveled away (last picture).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4185.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	30245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4184.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	30246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uglytri1.JPG
Views:	1162
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	30247  
Old 06-08-2011, 21:26   #2

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Re: What happens when you don't pay your fees

Yeah, if you own a yard or marina and someone leaves a vessel taking up space without the prospect of getting paid for it - what else can you do? The owners may have walked away from it so you can't get title, or they can't afford to pay now and will not be able to pay more later... It happens fairly often in the yards in San Carlos, Sonora, where the yard and marina owners do not have any legal right to take title, so they just dump the boats in the hills.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 21:46   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: What happens when you don't pay your fees

Around here when they go delinquent, they put a lien on the boat, advertise an aucrion date and sell the boats. Marina across the lake had 4-5 of them auctioned off about 2 years ago. All depends on the contract, the marina/yards have to protect themselves also.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 22:18   #4

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Re: What Happens When You Don't Pay Your Fees

Auction would be a good way to take care of these delinquent boats - if someone bids on them...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 23:56   #5

They are generally attempted to be sold by the yard but most of these have significant problems which is why the owner walked away. They haul them out, learn the bad news, attempt to sell, then walk. Depending on the yard...some yards will just scrap them, knowing anyone who buys it is screwed, others may try to auction them on site to the unsuspecting or to someone who will strip the hardware for sale. You see this in many of the yards.
It's become quite costly to demolish a boat. EPA restrictions, also the CG, make it beyond the means of most people.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 00:22   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Dagmars?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
This is not my boat (trihull) but if someone in our marina/yard is delinquent in their monthly payments by more then 90 days they loose the boat, one way or another.

Don't know what country you are in but in the U.S., only a court can establish a taking or invoke a lien. If a marina summarily destroys a boat with no judicial consent, it is considered an illegal taking regardless of the debt.

Many marinas include language in their slip contracts claiming right to put a lien on a boat for lack of payment but no lien is enforceable simply because of that phrase.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Dagmars?
Sure looks like it to me.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 14:48   #9

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: What Happens When You Don't Pay Your Fees . . .

My last Grampian was sold by the owner to pay off the yard bill. He walked away from her 3 years before, and the yard said either sell it and pay us or we take the boat and sell it ourselves. Typical case, 3 year old groceries, personal effects all still there, and when the deal was all said n done, I think he walked away with about $75. Still, after shoveling out all his junk, I ended up with a pretty good little sloop.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 15:34   #10

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

About 20 years ago when I was living aboard, I got a 31' Chris Craft Express cruiser and an old Owens 29 for FREE from a marina when the owners walked. I fixed them both up and sold them for a couple grand each. It was my grand plan at the time to support myself this way, but the hourly wage it worked out to be was really awful. Had a lot of fun though.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:05   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The way it works at my marina is the harbormaster after doing due dilligence to notify the owner, can go to a judge to transfer title from the delinquent owner to the harbormaster. The harbormaster can then either sell it or scrap it.

The harbormaster where I berth requires people with low value boats to provide a deposit that covers the disposal fee of the boat. That sounds fair to me considering the cost of disposing of a boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 19:37   #12

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: This Is What Happens When You Don't Pay Your Fees . . .

We sign a specific document that relinquishes control of the vessel to the Marina if we fail to pay rent. The city operates a crusher, a big CAT trencher(?) right across the turning basin as part of program by the harbor dept to get derelicts out of the harbor and there is a local scrapper close at hand and ready to strip and break up smaller keel-boat swith a chainsaw at a moments notice.
The local "gypsies" can move too quickly sometimes as in the case of the unfinished dry stored Westsail 32 pilot house that somebody cut "windows" into down along the keel to try and get the lead out... this before they even had the chance to auction it off... too sad!
Abandoned boats don't last long around here!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 19:43   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: This Is What Happens When You Don't Pay Your Fees . . .

We get a few auctions a year in Corpus Christi. They cut up a Cheoy Lee a few weeks ago - didn't sell.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 19:49   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapena View Post
They are generally attempted to be sold by the yard but most of these have significant problems which is why the owner walked away. They haul them out, learn the bad news, attempt to sell, then walk. Depending on the yard...some yards will just scrap them, knowing anyone who buys it is screwed, others may try to auction them on site to the unsuspecting or to someone who will strip the hardware for sale. You see this in many of the yards.
It's become quite costly to demolish a boat. EPA restrictions, also the CG, make it beyond the means of most people.
This is usually the case at Dagmars. That last tri was auctioned off two times before it was scraped. It never left that spot once it landed until it was crushed by one of the BIG forktrucks.

The 30' Tollycraft behind me sold for $1500 and another house boat next to me sold for 3 months payments.

Wood and aluminum boats are EZ to scrap no EPA problems once the tanks are empty.
Old 07-08-2011, 20:16   #15

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
That is funny I called about that Trimaran a few years ago. My dads boat was located in Anacortes, so I have seen that Trimaran degrading over years and years. I called and asked how much they wanted for the boat, but they said the owners always made their payments
OLDSON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees