Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 10:20   #16

Re: This Is Driving Me Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Up here, at least your Realtors would be 100% correct. Only about 10% of houses for sale in the winter actually sell. The weather is cold, and so is the housing market.

So if you listed now, your house would probably sit on the market until spring. Then potential buyers will look at the "days on market" number and put low ball offers since your house must be overpriced as it has been on the market forever. You end up getting less than if you listed it in the spring. At least that is the theory around here.
Yeah, the realtors talked a lot about days on the market too. They all said pretty much what you said.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:26   #17

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)

Don't know how it works in the US, but in NZ a lot of people sell their houses (and boats - everything, in fact)on the website trademe.co.nz, without a realtor. If it exists where you are, give it a go, and post photos of the gardens in Spring - appeal to those winter-sick people. If the house hasn't sold by Feb/March, you can still list it and not have those 'days unsold' hanging over it. At least you'll feel like you're doing something.
I just sold our 26' 'Ecume de Mer' yacht myself, by advertising it as a Plastic Classic ("by the designer of the 'Waterworld' trimaran"). Had fun in the process.
I totally understand your wanting to lay in a trousseau for your as-yet-unmet sailboat. The anticipation must be driving you crazy.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:36   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

travellerw is absolutely correct. "Days on market" is anathema to having any negotiating power when you get bids. The ideal scenario is that you put your house on the market right when demand is highest (sometime in spring...specific time varies from market to market) and you price it correctly. Realtors who represent buyers know it and counsel them to put in a bid as early as possible if they want a shot at the house. If you're lucky you'll get multiple bids and then be in the driver's seat. Another reason for waiting is that it (hopefully) condenses the entire process so you don't go for weeks needing to keep the house in showroom condition and go out for coffee and errands every time some realtor wants to show it.

As far as buying stuff goes, don't do it! Well at least anything other than personal gear and a few other standard items...binoculars, etc.

I'm of the firm philosophy that with a boat, you don't buy something until you absolutely need it, within reason (other than safety gear and other gear that you have direct experience with). Because you may well a) end up not needing it for two years, and your money could have been better spent during that t time b) may find out in the intervening time that your specific needs are different, and c) find that technology may improve or you may stumble across a great deal that saves you a wad of cash.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:38   #19
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post

I'm pretty set on one boat but my SO is still trying to find one better.

I also bought some basic chart navigation tools so I could get my SO up to speed on how to use them. You can take a horse to water... I already had some lines from my dad's boat and I've been trying to get my SO to spend some time learning knots. I have my work cut out for me.
Probably just me, but I'd urge at least a bit of caution in giving too much 'free rein' regarding the selection of your boat to a SO currently unfamiliar with stuff such as basic navigation, or tying knots...

:-))
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:58   #20

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Julie, I think you had a thread about experiences with boat brokers. I've had a fairly unfortunate experience or two myself but I'd also argue that realtors are at least as bad as boat brokers. They'll tell you just about anything to get you to buy/sell, etc. When we bought a year and a half ago, prices were rising as were interest rates so we'd better act quickly. Well, neither was the case. We did OK on the purchase but I'm more and more convinced that real estate brokers are clueless about the really important criteria.

I'd be interested if the "time on the market" isn't just another realtor scam. We've got our old house to put on the market and are having the same discussion.

Back on topic. I agree with some of the comments. You may find that the boat that you purchase has a lot of the "stuff" included. Ours did! Safety and personal kinds of gear are a little different. But don't forget that some things "wear out" sitting on the shelf, like the CO2 cartridges in inflatable PFDs.

Download Open CPN and start playing with charting trips, etc. That is "off the water" experience that can help in the long run.

Bill
Old 12-01-2015, 12:15   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
I'd be interested if the "time on the market" isn't just another realtor scam. We've got our old house to put on the market and are having the same discussion.
It's not. My last realtor when I sold a house and bought another was the daughter of a university economics professor. She treated real estate with the analytical eye of economist and her general strategy, tactics, and overall advice was always data driven. We talked about it a lot because I found it fascinating. She was really smart, super successful, and very nice person to boot.

She showed me data that pretty well supported that the longer a house remains on the market, the number bids falls off at an accelerating rate, along with the size of the bids. Buyers assume that the house is not attractive against "comparables" in the same market, either on features or price. Or they assume that there is something wrong with it. If it's such a great house, then why is it still available? The exception is if you have a highly unusual house (indoor pool, greenhouse, horse barn, etc.) that requires a very particular buyer. In that situation you have to keep the house on the market and just pray the right buyer comes along.

My realtor pretty well proved to me with her data that if you time putting your house on the market properly and price it strategically, you'll do better in terms of the final contract price.

It does not make sense that realtors are just interested in the quick sale and are willing to leave money on the table. All the work comes up front in terms of putting together the listing and then on the back end around negotiations and the closing. There's not a lot of work for them to do in the middle while the house is sitting on the market. If you could get more money for your house by letting it sit there, for sale, your realtor would be the first one to recommend it.

Bill, a year ago prices and interest rates were rising. Your realtor gave you their best advice, short of having a crystal ball. Of course you may have had other valid reasons not to trust them entirely, and so that advice rings hollow today.

Regarding timing, every market is different based on demographics, the local economy, etc. In general, buying families want to have a contract in hand by the end of April so they can close on the house before their kids are out of school and then move and settle in over the summer before school starts. My last two houses were close in to Washington DC and the market was a little more opened ended due to political and international families coming and going throughout the year, so you could reasonably list your house during another season and not be entirely SOL.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:45   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Yup.. Just ask yourself... Would days on the market affect your bid on a house you were interested it? Pretty sure %80 of people will say yes...
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 15:54   #23

WTF??? Go sailing on a rented boat. The worst thing that can happen is Sweetie either doesn't like it or can't wait to get out there. If she hates it you save money or loose time trying to find a new Sweetie. Buy nothing until you have a specific need for it. There are plenty of things to buy later.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 07:19   #24

We talked and we're sticking with the original plan and listing when the weather breaks. The original "3 Ls" were Location, Landscaping and Lighting. Location is good but so is the landscaping and lighting and no matter how you see the 3Ls, first impression is always big and the house shows the best in spring.

We talked about chartering this winter but I don't see that happening now. But I am seeing my SO open up a Calder book on reading charts.

Now the next phase begins - Round 3 of decreasing the "Stuff" inventory. When in doubt, throw it out. That should keep me busy.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:26   #25

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
When in doubt, throw it out.
From personal experience, I would change that to "Throw it out and don't doubt".

It will be the most liberating moment of your life.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 07:28   #26

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

One suggestion we did.. We hired an interior decorator that specialized in staging houses for sale. Didn't cost all that much, like $150 and we think it was more than worth it. They are not emotionally attached and can make suggestions that definately make your house look better.

You need a thick skin though. They are very straight forward and factual and will tell you to remove things that you are probably attached too. Shouldn't be an issue for you givin your end goal.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Then potential buyers will look at the "days on market" number and put low ball offers...
Bingo! A house that sits on the market for a long time is generally perceived as having something wrong and/or being over-priced. That is almost certainly why the realtors that you are talking to are telling you to wait until the market heats up before putting it up for sale.

I understand that the waiting is driving you crazy, but consider it an exercise in developing the patience of Job. As someone else said, it can take 30 days just to get a part shipped when you are "out there." You can sit for weeks at a time waiting for the right weather window. As a cruiser patience is a virtue that you really must have. Start working on it now.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Buying stuff for a boat you don't own yet?
How do you know the future boat won't already come with some of the stuff you want?

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Yeah... I would wait... I've bought an awful lot of stuff that was a "bargain"... but a lot of it never worked out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:19   #29
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I vote you wait on the big expenditures until you have The Boat in front of you. Especially if you think it's going to be a year or more. New stuff comes out. Old stuff gets cheaper. If you had a boat today, would you want to be installing equipment you bought years ago, or new stuff with the latest and greatest? And if you buy now, you pay top dollar. You can buy the same model when you get the boat and it will be half today's price.

I spend many happy hours with charts and Google Earth and the internet. Find places you want to visit. Research the charts. Google up images of it. Read blogs of people who've been there. Take your lady for an ASA course in the USVI or better yet, in the Bahamas. The sailing school we used has an operation in the Bahamas. Lots of things you can do before spending money on the boat.

Besides, money you spend now is not available for boat purchase.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
6 years of boat shopping

If you really wanted to go boating then yes you are right, that is insane!
I hadn't realized a boat STILL hasn't been purchased...
Sailinnole is offline   Reply With Quote