Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 10:28   #256
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: things you've tossed off the boat that others think are necessary

For a boat that is actually cruising, pressure water is a major water waister. Can easily cut water usage in half if not way more than that. Foot pumps work so well that I don't use the pressure water even at the dock. Debating reinstalling the pump when I finish the galley rebuild. If I do reinstall, will be for marketing purposes when the boat goes on the market in the far distance future.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 10:34   #257

It is a very convenient thing... as you noted especially for showers! However, electric pumps seem to be one of the highest maintenace items. For the galley foot pumps are great. But pressure is necessary for a shower really! Well, unless you are using a sun shower. Pressure pumps tend to use more water also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 10:42   #258

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Ah, so between wasting water and tricky maintenance, yeah I can see how that would be a pain in the butt. Seriously though, I imagine that when we push off, we'll be doing a lot of bathing in buckets. I grew up on a farm and we did a lot of that growing up. Is this an option for people? We have a sun shower we use for camping and it works great; I don't mind having no pressure, something that bothers me enormously in our (pre-war) apartment. I guess it comes down to expectations. We'd just need to get more than one sun shower for those sunny days when it makes sense.
Old 23-11-2013, 10:46   #259

The new Variable Rate pumps, although expensive, are simpler (no accumulator). maybe they are more reliable too... not sure. I think it depends on your boat size and where you cruise etc. A transom or cockpit shower nozzle is real nice if you snorkel/swim alot . Just a quick rinse off to get the salt off. Pretty much eliminates showering.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 10:56   #260

Boat: Rafiki 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
Ah, so between wasting water and tricky maintenance, yeah I can see how that would be a pain in the butt. Seriously though, I imagine that when we push off, we'll be doing a lot of bathing in buckets. I grew up on a farm and we did a lot of that growing up. Is this an option for people? We have a sun shower we use for camping and it works great; I don't mind having no pressure, something that bothers me enormously in our (pre-war) apartment. I guess it comes down to expectations. We'd just need to get more than one sun shower for those sunny days when it makes sense.
If you want the best of both worlds try converting something like this sprayer http://www.homedepot.ca/product/spra...e-tank/942030#. That's what I did and it works great. A few pumps and you get all the pressure you want, but still let's you manage your water usage. It also heats up better than the camp bags I've used. Only down side is it is a little harder to store.
Old 23-11-2013, 11:03   #261

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Of course there is always El Pinguino's First Law of Ballistics.

Some unidentifiable part will lie around the boat for years... being chased from one end to the other and back again.

Then finally you decide to consign it to the deep.

Just when it reachs the highest point of its trajectory and is about to plummet into the sea.... you think....
'I know what that was for.....'

and the very next day you will need it.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 11:06   #262

We would like to circumnavigate eventually but would start off by hopping down the East Coast. We plan to spend at least a year getting used to the boat before attempting offshore sailing.

The pressurized container is a great idea. But that one is only 2.5 gallons. We'd need something bigger; there are five of us, not counting extra crew we might have. Wouldn't want them not showering. But that is a fantastic idea. We used to have a huge such container mounted on the back of our tractor we used to spray pesticides on crops. Should work for this, too, on a smaller scale.
Old 23-11-2013, 11:22   #263

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
The pressurized container is a great idea. But that one is only 2.5 gallons. We'd need something bigger; there are five of us, not counting extra crew we might have. Wouldn't want them not showering. But that is a fantastic idea. We used to have a huge such container mounted on the back of our tractor we used to spray pesticides on crops. Should work for this, too, on a smaller scale.
True ... I should have said this one works well for two showers at a time (two of us). But I'm sure there are larger-volume versions available.
Old 23-11-2013, 11:46   #264

I looked quickly for a substitute and found only stainless steel tanks for carrying around 12-15 gallons. I'm sure there are other solutions; just need time to find them. Thanks!
Old 23-11-2013, 13:38   #265

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
For a boat that is actually cruising, pressure water is a major water waister. Can easily cut water usage in half if not way more than that.
I disagree. When washing dishes I can turn on the pressure spigot so it just trickles which is plenty for rinsing. The hand pump (I don't have a foot pump) puts out a gush of water and I find I use more with it than using the pressure system.

Also for showers I have one of those fancy ($30 at Home Depot; paid 99 cents at the thrift store) nozzle ends that does everything from mist to thumping spray. By adjusting thru (mist is a trickle whereas thump is a bit closer to shower strength) ... anyway, I partially turn on the faucet and with my shower head can adjust down. My hair is at my waist and I wash it (plus condition) nearly every day. It takes just at 1 gallon of water -- 2 if I am being particularly extravagant.

I know that logic says foot is better and would use less , but in practical use aboard Seaweed I find the pressure pump cuts water consumption. That said I NEVER (repeat that: NEVER) leave the pump turned on when I'm not planning on using water. Too many times I've heard of hose clamps falling off an folks finding their tank emptied quite efficiently by the pressure pump.
Old 23-11-2013, 13:53   #266

I've found the variable speed pressure pumps to be less reliable (two different manufacturers) and the variable speed noise was oddly annoying. In the spirit of this thread - I threw them off the boat.

For the last three years I've been back to an inexpensive bullet proof 3.3 gpm Flojet pump with a one liter accumulator tank. The 3.3 gpm is plenty even with guests (Any guest who gets upset because of low water pressure in their sink, probably isn't an ideal cruising companion). The small pump also cuts water consumption compared to the bigger 5+ gpm pumps that are around these days. For some reason, guests love to turn faucets full on.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 13:53   #267

Quote:
I would have thought of water pressure as a really great thing to have, so I'm surprised to read that many of you would toss it in a heartbeat. Can I ask what the deal-breaker is that moves it from the convenience aisle to the pain-on-the-butt column? Is it mostly useful only for showers, in which case I can see it might not be worth the trouble.
I ripped out my pressure water and hot water system the week I bought my boat. For me the comparison is: you have two systems that work equally as well.

First system:
- requires electricity
- is more expensive to install and maintain
- uses far more water
- requires more maintenance
- requires training all guests (they are used to leaving faucets running)

Second system:
- requires you to burn 10 additional calories per hour when using it

To me there is no comparison. Between KISS and water savings it is a no brainer. All the other advantages are gravy.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 13:55   #268

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I disagree. When washing dishes I can turn on the pressure spigot so it just trickles which is plenty for rinsing. The hand pump (I don't have a foot pump) puts out a gush of water and I find I use more with it than using the pressure system.

Also for showers I have one of those fancy ($30 at Home Depot; paid 99 cents at the thrift store) nozzle ends that does everything from mist to thumping spray. By adjusting thru (mist is a trickle whereas thump is a bit closer to shower strength) ... anyway, I partially turn on the faucet and with my shower head can adjust down. My hair is at my waist and I wash it (plus condition) nearly every day. It takes just at 1 gallon of water -- 2 if I am being particularly extravagant.

I know that logic says foot is better and would use less , but in practical use aboard Seaweed I find the pressure pump cuts water consumption. That said I NEVER (repeat that: NEVER) leave the pump turned on when I'm not planning on using water. Too many times I've heard of hose clamps falling off an folks finding their tank emptied quite efficiently by the pressure pump.
I found the same true for me doing dishes.

And only on when it is to be used.

It's a drag dripping salt water all the way to the electrickery panel after a swim having forgotten before hand to turn it on.

The new type of pump sounds good..............
Old 23-11-2013, 14:24   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I ripped out my pressure water and hot water system the week I bought my boat. For me the comparison is: you have two systems that work equally as well.

First system:
- requires electricity
- is more expensive to install and maintain
- uses far more water
- requires more maintenance
- requires training all guests (they are used to leaving faucets running)

Second system:
- requires you to burn 10 additional calories per hour when using it

To me there is no comparison. Between KISS and water savings it is a no brainer. All the other advantages are gravy.
This makes sense to me, but do you have a watermaker? 'Cause I can see having a watermaker but no hot water heater or pressure. But having none of these may be pushing my husband and kids farther than they are willing to go. Would you do the same with kids on board?

Also see the sense of the thrift store nozzle. It's no elephant shower, but it works better then a plain shower head. On our fantasy 43'-49' boat, I see us having a watermaker but no water heater. Also see us having two composting heads and no other. I keep reading how much trouble everyone has with electric and manual. And pumping out? I imagine it being like having to pump out the subway. Nasty. Seems much easier to just dump the urine (safely) and the compost. Saves room, too.

And once you throw out the electric/manual head, what do you do with the holding tank? Toss it and make storage?

Pardon my newbie questions. Just trying to figure out as much as possible before we lay down the cash.
Old 23-11-2013, 14:41   #270

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

RF,

There will be many times (if you are living aboard and cruising) that you will wish you had hot water. Especially the kids.

Yes you can heat it on the stove.................