Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 16:52   #196

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: things you've tossed off the boat that others think are necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Unfortunately, dinghies drift off with people in them all the time. I personally do not think dependence on someone rescuing you is a good substitute for proper preparation. Even if not life threatening, motors die often enough that I have rescued quite a few folks with non-functioning engines.
Both of those stories indicate that if the wind is blowing at all that the oars of most dinghies are worthless. Maybe a drogue would be best. Certainly easier to store.
Old 19-05-2013, 17:14   #197

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave501 View Post
I threw off 40 years of working my ass off 40 years of doing the right thing instead of what I wanted to do and I've now thrown off any Worry for what I do in the future I'm going to hang onto my hopes to take life as it comes to enjoy the Fairwinds handle the the bad ones and look for new horizons
Did you have a wife?

If so what did you do with her?

Kids still dependent on you?
Old 19-05-2013, 18:23   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Both of those stories indicate that if the wind is blowing at all that the oars of most dinghies are worthless. Maybe a drogue would be best. Certainly easier to store.
The best backup is flippers, to my way of thinking.

You flip a loop into the painter, slip it around your waist, and swim on your back towing the dinghy.

When it's windy, this trumps even the best oars, for speed, bollard pull, and endurance. And if it blows so hard you can't save the dinghy, at least you can save yourself (if suitably dressed)

If you happen to be in a situation where the nearest boat might be five hundred miles away and the nearest land to leeward three times that far, a drogue is not much help.

Throwing yourself routinely on the mercy of random chance and the availablity of kind strangers (eg leaving oars ashore) seems to me a bit too akin to life on the "mean streets" ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 18:51   #199

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I still don't get it, but it felt like an insult. Just wondering what triggered that...
I didn't take that way. I think it started as a play on words with 'proletariat' and Secretariat. Secretariat was a race horse that won the Triple Crown. This weekend was the second race in this years Triple Crown. The comment about the nose bag was playing off that.

I think they were just having some fun with the big word Rebel Heart used.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 19:04   #200
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post

I didn't take that way. I think it started as a play on words with 'proletariat' and Secretariat. Secretariat was a race horse that won the Triple Crown. This weekend was the second race in this years Triple Crown. The comment about the nose bag was playing off that.

I think they were just having some fun with the big word Rebel Heart used.
Yes, I feel pretty clueless or better: I am uttterly clueless when it comes to horse racing. I once went out horseback riding with a girlfriend and before I knew it, she was gone into the distance and my horse started eating the grass. Could not get it to move. So I got off, walked back and told them where to find the horse. You should have seen their faces, couldn't believe I had left the horse. Told them to give it the nose bag before someone takes it riding next time ha, I bet you never guessed I got back to nose bags

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 19:05   #201

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Back to the original thread:

I'm just about to throw away a perfectly good Icom M800 single sideband radio all because the fiber optic cable between the transceiver and the control head broke. Whereas I've already installed a new Icom 802, it still breaks my heart to chuck a perfectly good piece of gear overboard (so to speak) just because a puny, irreplaceable cable failed.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 19:09   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Back to the original thread:

I'm just about to throw away a perfectly good Icom M800 single sideband radio all because the fiber optic cable between the transceiver and the control head broke. Whereas I've already installed a new Icom 802, it still breaks my heart to chuck a perfectly good piece of gear overboard (so to speak) just because a puny, irreplaceable cable failed.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Any modern telecom engineer can fix that for you. We used to have field splicing kits and could dream the procedure.

Old 19-05-2013, 19:31   #203

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Yes, I feel pretty clueless or better: I am uttterly clueless when it comes to horse racing. I once went out horseback riding with a girlfriend and before I knew it, she was gone into the distance and my horse started eating the grass. Could not get it to move. So I got off, walked back and told them where to find the horse. You should have seen their faces, couldn't believe I had left the horse. Told them to give it the nose bag before someone takes it riding next time ha, I bet you never guessed I got back to nose bags
Very smooth!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 01:53   #204

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Any modern telecom engineer can fix that for you. We used to have field splicing kits and could dream the procedure.
I owned a telecommunications company for 25 years and we installed miles of fiber optic cable, amongst others. The cable that Icom used was proprietary and no commonly-available splice kits would fit. I even tried converting it to UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) but that was unsuccessful as well. Furthermore, many of the experts I consulted (Gordon West and others) lamented that it was an unfortunate problem with no solution.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 03:19   #205

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post

I owned a telecommunications company for 25 years and we installed miles of fiber optic cable, amongst others. The cable that Icom used was proprietary and no commonly-available splice kits would fit. I even tried converting it to UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) but that was unsuccessful as well. Furthermore, many of the experts I consulted (Gordon West and others) lamented that it was an unfortunate problem with no solution.
And the connectors at each end? I don't think Icom can afford custom connectors for one silly model radio?! The fiber should be either SM or MM (bet it's just MultiMode).

Old 20-05-2013, 05:08   #206
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

We took our 8 settings of Wedgwood with us aboard and have been using it full time since. Why buy plastic when you already have some of the world's best? It survived everthing incl. hurricanes and my clummsy handling. Our guests don't need to bring their sporks and plates... I have never heard about that before.
Absolutely no plastic plate muck on a proper yacht +1

Other then that. Its " if in doubt, f€&k it out "
Dave
Old 20-05-2013, 06:14   #207
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I tossed off a Jimmy Buffett book 100 miles of the Gulf de Fonseca. No one should ever suffer from such literature.

omg...you call the words of that man literature--you have elevated him waaaay above his deserved level. it aint literature in any sense of the word--is bs writing. not even readable. GADS....shoulda stuck with pulp fiction...is better reading.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 11:46   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

omg...you call the words of that man literature--you have elevated him waaaay above his deserved level. it aint literature in any sense of the word--is bs writing. not even readable. GADS....shoulda stuck with pulp fiction...is better reading.

Jimmy Buffet is indeed atrocious.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 11:53   #209

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Say what ya want about Jimmy but he's one of the most successful artist long term out there, revenue wise

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 13:35   #210
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I like Jimmy, sometimes music should just be fun!