Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02   #1

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36
The why of it all.

I started sailing at 14 when my dad signed me up for lessons. It might have been the best thing he ever did for me. I am not great but I can honestly say the only thing I am better at is my job. After all this time I am not sure I enjoy it. I have more of a compulsion to sail. My first sail of the year was June 3. The water temp on Green Bay was 59 so it was cold. The wind was 20 knots and I was the only boat out and sailed 20 miles and was very cold. This week I am on vacation. I saw family on Saturday June 9 and am out on the boat from Sunday June 10 to Thursday after which I fly to a wedding. I am out alone which is pretty normal as my GF is busy with family. Sunday was 19 knots, sunny but cold and again I was the only boat out. I did 20 miles and anchored out at Egg Harbor. Monday was 16 to knots and fading. I went to Washington Island and anchored for the first time at Detroit Harbor which is about 8-10 feet deep. Last summer I bought a 2001 Catalina 36 which draws 4’3”. My old 1984 Freedom 32 drew 6 ‘ so I never came in here. It’s lovely. Monday was a work day and I again was the only boat out. I have always thought the best boating time of the year was winter when the boat was put away. I never had to worry about it and fantasized about how great the summer would be. Apparently I am not alone as though cold, the sailing has been great and I am the ONLY boat on the water. The dream exceeds the reality yet I am unhappy when I have the free time and am not on the boat. Go figure.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote