Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 19:53   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
The Missing Reverse Gear

Yesterday I had to fit a new gear shift lever to a little 3.3 outboard. The previous one snapped off when the motor fell to the ground. I fitted the new one, but could only get neutral and forward - no reverse. After several times pulling it out and re-fitting it, it occurred to me that these little outboards don't have reverse gear - only neutral and forward. Then there was the time I was coming into a marina pen and gunned her in reverse to stop her short of the concrete pier, only to find I had her in forward and we demolished the pulpit, but I don't want to talk about that.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 20:36   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: The Missing Reverse Gear

They all have reverse, you just have to turn the motor 180 degrees. That makes it go forward the other was.. LOL
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 22:43   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

The other odd thing about fitting this new gear lever was that the lever (a plastic moulded piece) cost about AU$60 (similar in US) which is remarkable in its own right. However, when I pulled the stub of the old one out, it had two little "O" rings on it. There were no "O" rings in the sealed packet with the new lever. How parsimonious is that?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
The other odd thing about fitting this new gear lever was that the lever (a plastic moulded piece) cost about AU$60 (similar in US) which is remarkable in its own right. However, when I pulled the stub of the old one out, it had two little "O" rings on it. There were no "O" rings in the sealed packet with the new lever. How parsimonious is that?

What a wonderful new word Thank you And for the record that is called a new revision..
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear