Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 21:23   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
The Kindness of Strangers

l'm new to being a boat owner and all things that come with it. Today l moved to my new mooring. Excited, and not thinking things through, l don't investigate to see if l have any lines to go with my mooring. All of the moorings that l have used in the past had lines, (although l should know better working on a dock and seeing the dreaded duffys slice through them on a regular basis)

Sure enough there is no lines, tons of wind and and outgoing tide going the opposite way. The mooring is 60 feet and my boat is 27. The two mooring cans seem like they are miles away from each other, and l'm cursing myself for not being prepared and bringing line on my dingy first. Or at least having someone to help, because l sure as hell don't know what l'm doing. (again l do know better)

Then all the sudden a cruiser l meet at work pops up and shows me how to tie off line and helps me rig up a better system then what l have. l happily follow instruction, and everything goes perfect. He then helps me go through my boat and helps me figure out how to fix a rather large fiberglass crack. l am amazed everyday by the love and support of the sailboat community. He was not the first to set aside what they were doing and help me out of a jam, without judgement. Every time l am in need, magically someone appears that has just what l need, and a kind word to calm me down.

Thank you to all who have helped me and all who are going to help me, everyday l fall deeper in love with sailboat community.
KateJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 21:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Cruisers are a great bunch, and will help till it hurts. Welcome to the community!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 22:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We have all been there and we are all going somewhere else. If there is a boater out there that states they will never need a hand, a piece of advice or need to learn anything new then they are probably already dead.

I am still overwhelmed by how much I don't know.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 23:50   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
A great story

What goes around comes around.

I always try to stay one brownie point in front by helping folks as much as I can... I need to because I need more help than many!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:51   #5

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Internet friends

Yes I have a very nice Nigerian contact who keeps telling me I've won a million bucks He's very efficient and I've now won in Ireland, England and the USA
Clyde
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18   #6

Boat: Islander Mark II 30, 30ft - Zephyr
I agree

I just wanted to put in my two cents here. I agree whole heatedly with KateJoy. I launched my boat about a month ago. Being the first time that I ever sailed or motored a bot this size I enlisted the help of some friends to assist is getting the boat from the lift in, down the river, under the lift bridge out to Lake Erie and over to the marina where my slip was. The day of my launch ALL of my friends bailed for one reason or another. With 40 knot winds I was very nervous. I managed the trip to the marina with no major problems. As I entered the marina I wondered how I was going to dock the first time without hitting anything. Just then I heard "Do you need help docking" and within minutes 4 guys were down at my slip ready to help tie me up. That was the first look at the type of people that are involved in the sailing community.
Captin_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:34   #7

What can I say, I am sure this could easily become the longest thread on the site. I too recently bought my biggest boat to date, in a foreign country (the USA), and it seemed a whole new world even though I have been on boats all of my life. Within 24 hours of berthing at my new marina, I had 6 new freinds, 2 offering to help with jobs, an invite to dinner, a seperate one for drinks, and all of the knowledge and advice I could wish for. And that is on top of the contacts I have on the 'net now through those meetings and sites like this. Folk watch my boat when I am not there, tell me where to get the cheapest new part, help me plan my next sail... what a great place to be. It makes you want to go and find somebody to help out! Thanks everybody down in SoCal and all you others around the oceans...
James
MattDamon2927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:54   #8

Boat: grampian 26
We may not all be in the same boat be we are all in the same ocean
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I was 19 years old the first time I single handed. Less than 50 yards from the dock I got caught in a tree (the only tree for miles BTW). As leaves and branches rained down on my little boat a marine biologist working on a shrimp boat across the way came to the rescue. He had to climb my mast to untangle the tree trunk from my mast, rocking the boat back and forth. He was so kind and didn't even point out the difficulty of hitting a tree while sailing what can I say, its a talent.
Sailors, boaters, water people, they all have a certain patience and generosity I have yet to find anywhere else.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Hitting a tree is cool

Earlier today I went down to my boat - she is still moored on her working berth in a drying harbour, right at the back of the harbour and opposite the boat yard

Me father's boat is 2 moorings down - usual practice is to now and again walk around the nearby boats to see that all is ok with them / their moorings. (not all about being nice of course ).

Anyway, today I do my walkaround and see that the 30' motorboat (moored between father and me) has tripped a leg. Fortunately only half folded under and somehow still taking her weight. and double luck it's on me father's side

As I knew that the boatyard looked after the motorboat (Owner is aged around 80) I toddled off to advise them. Of course on a Saturday only the Chandelry open and not the workshop, so no yard workers

But after re-inspecting the leg with the Chandelry manager can see that somehow it has just lost a retaining nut. Lucky b#gger

So I volunteer to put a new nut on when she refloats (tide is already 15 foot away fron our sterns) as I will be there anyway and with a dinghy to hand. A 5 minute job. Plan agreed and the Chandelry manager stumps up a nut of the correct size.

We go our seperate ways. Me onboard to start another new job (rather than finishing the 112 jobs I have on the go already ).........whilst keeping an eye on the tide as usual (trick is to not get stuck onboard with dink tied to the dock - 10 feet away. again ).

A few hours pass. and a few more, still no water check the tide tables.............water arrives back............on Tuesday Doh! (that's why it is called a working berth of course!).

Taken a good while ago

As Boatyard now closed so I write a note and put it in a small plastic bag with the nut to kick the ball back in there court next week. Whilst typing this I have just remembered I probably should have posted it through their letterbox. not left it in me pocket
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:17   #11

In spite of all the callousness shown daily on the news, there is an abundance of good souls out there willing to help their neighbor.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 17:44   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
Strangers have helped me in countless places and countless ways. Up to the point that I stopped wondering and took it for granted that some people are indeed good.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39   #13

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Cruising for me is all about Karma! You get back what you give out.....the more you give the more seems to come back! I am also willing to bet that most of these good cruising angels had been in similar positions...and knew exactly how you were feeling! Next time you see someone flailing around instead of going below and hiding ...jump out and help them.... i hate it when people sit and watch and say...." hey fellas..come look at this disaster unfolding"...then they all grab a seat and watch instead of helping!!!!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:08   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, people are great - all the time our crew cleans the boat, hoists the sails, winds in the genoa...

I don't know what I'd do without their kindness. Well, actually I do. I'd have to clean the boat, hoist the sails, wind in the genoa...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:09   #15

I can remember 7 or 8 years ago in Negril, Jamaica when a bedraggled looking sailboat showed up with a couple and their teenage son. They had apparently underestimated what the trip from Florida would entail and didn't plan so well. They were out of diesel, water, and probably money.

Captain Phillipe, who runs the catamaran tours for the big hotels there, and his friend, one of the hotel managers, filled them up with diesel and water, helped service their boat, and let them hang around the hotel a couple of days and rest up, eat the buffet, and have a few drinks prior to them setting off for home.

That is the milk of human kindness.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote