Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2010, 15:05   #16
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Re: Emergency Belts

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, I had a bit of a look around for other things I could use. Other than ropes my lycra stinger suit would have probably been the go? The only reason I didn’t really worry about this option was that the starter battery was fully charged and isolated and it would have only taken us another day or so to get to the next port. On the other hand, I was keen to drop the passenger back where I found him, so returning was at first a good idea.

You also reminded me I need to get a better wood saw to keep on board. When the hatch “fell” (was pushed) overboard I rowed to the island to try to make another out of flotsam. There was actually bits and pieces of a fibreglass boat which was a reminded of how dangerous those coral heads can be. The small saw I had had trouble getting through the heavy glass. Then the time out was good therapy that prevented me from feeding my passenger to the sharks.
__________________

__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline  
Old 19-01-2010, 15:40   #17
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
Must add handcuffs to my list of vital equipment. Strictly for their own safety of course, and mine. Some folk just don't get boats at all. The risks, the cost and the level of attention that is needed to operate a boat safely are simply way beyond some folk.
My sail buddy isn't that bad, and does try to be helpful, but if I leave him close hauled within a couple of minutes he'll be on a broad reach and calling of the speed.
Course forgotten, approaching dusk ignored, and I have to be tactful as he is good at stepping off safely with mooring lines. And making coffee.
__________________

__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline  
Old 26-01-2010, 19:33   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gold Coast
Boat: self design cat in progress
Posts: 41
"Point three: it is my boat, I am the skipper and I make the ultimate call"

From another thread..
"
Then the only “alienation” I saw is when I was ordered off the island by one of the leaseholders for having the audacity to suggest I should make an insurance claim to restore my boat to a seaworthy condition. Maybe if he kept tidy mooring lines the episode would not have occurred in the first place. In the tort of negligence this is called the neighbourhood principle or more simply looking out for others who you might injure."

Well skipper, it seems you make the call and take responsibility except when it doesn't go the way you want and then it's lawyers and tort law. Word I got is that John Morris advised you that he thought you were way to close to the rocks where the line was that got caught in your prop but you ignored him or didn't hear him, not that it was his responsibility anyway.

The problem seems to be mechanical... the nut behind the wheel.

I know of boats that negotiate that area without problem. The islands old caretakers used that area for mooring their old pearling lugger (Ruby Charlotte).. about 60 feet I think. One of the volunteers that has been helping the morris's clean up and rebuild took his old pilot boat in there with no problem. That boat is 50 feet or more I think. I wonder how many thousands of boats have visited there without mishap?

Why only you?

Why do you use the big bold font?

It's time to start taking responsibility for your mistakes and not let threats of litigation cause these people to sour on visiting yachts.

It doesn't take reading all of this to find inconsistencies. Your tale of woe seems very rubbery.

__________________
why me? is offline  
Old 27-01-2010, 07:34   #19
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by why me? View Post
"Point three: it is my boat, I am the skipper and I make the ultimate call"

From another thread..
"Then the only “alienation” I saw is when I was ordered off the island by one of the leaseholders for having the audacity to suggest I should make an insurance claim to restore my boat to a seaworthy condition. Maybe if he kept tidy mooring lines the episode would not have occurred in the first place. In the tort of negligence this is called the neighbourhood principle or more simply looking out for others who you might injure."

Well skipper, it seems you make the call and take responsibility except when it doesn't go the way you want and then it's lawyers and tort law. Word I got is that John Morris advised you that he thought you were way to close to the rocks where the line was that got caught in your prop but you ignored him or didn't hear him, not that it was his responsibility anyway.

The problem seems to be mechanical... the nut behind the wheel.

I know of boats that negotiate that area without problem. The islands old caretakers used that area for mooring their old pearling lugger (Ruby Charlotte).. about 60 feet I think. One of the volunteers that has been helping the morris's clean up and rebuild took his old pilot boat in there with no problem. That boat is 50 feet or more I think. I wonder how many thousands of boats have visited there without mishap?

Why only you?

Why do you use the big bold font?

It's time to start taking responsibility for your mistakes and not let threats of litigation cause these people to sour on visiting yachts.

It doesn't take reading all of this to find inconsistencies. Your tale of woe seems very rubbery.
Ok – last time I ever try too help anyone and from what I can see instead of trying to laugh things off I am much better treating this as strict legal matter; I hope John thanks you for what is too come!
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline  
Old 27-01-2010, 08:52   #20
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Exclamation

You also have to wonder what made National Parks decided to resume Middle Percy Island? I am sure they are well informed and I can only hope they succeed!

Certainly someone is again going to call them “morons”, which funny enough seems to be the precise word some people like to apply to anyone who does not follow their exact wishes like a robot.
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline  
Old 27-01-2010, 09:22   #21
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by why me? View Post

Why only you?

Because, I trusted the leaseholders! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!


Like I have said elsewhere, you are another fool living on old memories. The island is a mess and an accident waiting too happen (as in my case did eventuate). As above, no wonder National Parks are making a move to resume the majority of the lease! I have no doubt that this move is in everyone’s best interests.
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline  
Old 27-01-2010, 09:26   #22
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
I just got a personna; message from Surfer Shane

"Piss Poor
Mate. just when I was nearly going to call it "water under the bridge" you have really put your foot in it. So much for me trying to be diplomatic when there are people like you floating around.

After what happened I have absolutely nothing too loose and so much too gain. I hope John and Cate thank you for what is too come!

Considering they have advised me they have NO insurance on the lagoon I am sure they are going to be so happy about you "poking the ant's nest".
"

Now I've read my comment through, number 17, and I thought I was talking about his passenger/crew. Certainly, as I thought I expressed, some folk are good company, some are good for holding a course while you visit the heads, some are good enough to leave in charge for ten minutes at a time. And some aren't, hence the handcuffs.
I commiserate whole heartedly with the skipper that finds he's stuck with an incompetent. Perhaps I should have worded things better, sorry mate.
__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline  
Old 27-01-2010, 09:47   #23
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I just got a personna; message from Surfer Shane

"Piss Poor
Mate. just when I was nearly going to call it "water under the bridge" you have really put your foot in it. So much for me trying to be diplomatic when there are people like you floating around.

After what happened I have absolutely nothing too loose and so much too gain. I hope John and Cate thank you for what is too come!

Considering they have advised me they have NO insurance on the lagoon I am sure they are going to be so happy about you "poking the ant's nest". "

Now I've read my comment through, number 17, and I thought I was talking about his passenger/crew. Certainly, as I thought I expressed, some folk are good company, some are good for holding a course while you visit the heads, some are good enough to leave in charge for ten minutes at a time. And some aren't, hence the handcuffs.
I commiserate whole heartedly with the skipper that finds he's stuck with an incompetent. Perhaps I should have worded things better, sorry mate.
Dude - I am really sorry! I meant to send it to "Why Me" after he/she has done their best to discredite me in this and a similar discusion. Obviously this bullsh#t is causing me a lot of stress which is being compounded by the fact I no longer have my boat. The whole thing is eating me from the inside out like the rust I would like to be cutting out of my bilge.

I thought the handcuff comment was actually quite funny, but had I responded by admitting I would like a pair of nice pair of full gauge Smith and Wessons the people involved in the post would have probably taken it as a personal threat. Too add to an email I recieved about how they wanted to pursue me for defamation, I would have probably got threatened with an apprehended violence order.

Thank god I have not posted about how I had a parcel redirected to the next port containing a sjambok, a bowie knife machete and an assortment of killing spikes (all purchased for legitimate means from the legendary “Cold Steel” company). That would have made me look like a real psychopath? (laughing)

I really apologise and accept this is a good indication that I should remove myself from making anymore comments about this matter until such time as I have sought legal advice. ( No doubt they will tell me not to mention the sjambok, bowie knife machete and assortment of killing spikes).

Thanks for the humour!
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline  
Old 27-01-2010, 09:52   #24
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
Forgiven immediately. I suffer a tiny little bit compared to your loss. Hope things get better soon.
__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline  
Old 28-01-2010, 18:45   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gold Coast
Boat: self design cat in progress
Posts: 41
Shane .. your contention that you were ordered off the island is simply not true. Once again you are responsible for damage to your boat(if your claim of shredded sails is to be believed), because you decided to leave in bad weather. But then, was the weather that bad?

Never mind, it's irrelevant anyway. You appear to slander innocent people by trying to convince readers on this forum that your hard times are the fault of others but maybe you just shouldn't be out there.

If you had been "order off the island" that doesn't order you off the anchorage. You left a safe, if rolly anchorage, and passed numerous prefect anchorages(some within 5 miles) to sail in what you describe as "atrocious" conditions to a distant(relatively) port and then make out like it was the percy island crews fault. It was bad seamanship. plain and simple.

I call bullshit. Here is what the people have to say that you have been abusing. I believe those three people , two of which have had their word tested in courts and press for years, ahead of your raves.

But the worst thing you do is threaten. "I can see instead of trying to laugh things off I am much better treating this as strict legal matter; I hope John thanks you for what is too come!"

So, if you can't bully others into silence you will make someone pay...

Morally and possibly legally, that amounts to a crime. Blackmail and/or extortion.

Wikipedia says;
"Blackmail is the crime of threatening to reveal substantially true information about a person to the public, a family member, or associates unless a demand made upon the victim is met. [silence or to curtail criticism, my note]This information is usually of an embarrassing, socially damaging, and/or criminally incriminating nature. As the information is substantially true, the act of revealing the information may not be criminal in its own right nor amount to a civil law defamation; the crime is making demands in exchange for withholding it. English Law creates a much broader definition of blackmail, covering any unwarranted demands with menaces, whether involving revealing information or not.
Blackmail is similar to extortion. The difference is that extortion involves an underlying, independent criminal act, while blackmail does not."

So even if what you said was true, your threats are wrong and possibly criminal.

It would be a shame if readers got the wrong impression about Percy Island and the generous people who live there.
__________________
why me? is offline  
Old 28-01-2010, 20:18   #26
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by why me? View Post
Shane .. your contention that you were ordered off the island is simply not true. Once again you are responsible for damage to your boat(if your claim of shredded sails is to be believed), because you decided to leave in bad weather. But then, was the weather that bad?

Never mind, it's irrelevant anyway. You appear to slander innocent people by trying to convince readers on this forum that your hard times are the fault of others but maybe you just shouldn't be out there...,,,,,,,,,,

.
Seriously, all you are doing is “pushing up” this situation. You have admitted you contacted the people involved (who returned the favour with a defamation threat) so no doubt you are also the person who complained to the moderator about my posts elsewhere. So even after the other posts have been deleted you are still trying to discredit me. Like someone else telling me I am “off the island” you also seem to be another individual who needs to get in the last word, which is only making things WORSE.

If you read this discussion correctly it was originally meant to be a black comedy. The serious underlying theme revolves around how instead of feeling obliged to suffer a sub-standard repair that left my boat unseaworthy, I have every right to claim on MY OWN insurance without having to feel guilty. Fair enough the stakeholders in this story have competing interests; them the resumption and reputation of the islands and me the seaworthiness of my boat and other damages I sustained.

Frankly after what has happened and the reaction from people such as you, I totally admit I have no time or sympathy whatsoever for the issues concerning the island. As such I have no probelm supporting the National Park resumption. Likewise, I really hope no one else falls into the same trap whether at the same location or anywhere else.
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline  
Old 28-01-2010, 21:57   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gold Coast
Boat: self design cat in progress
Posts: 41
"another individual who needs to get in the last word, which is only making things WORSE"

What cheek!
Worse for you perhaps. You are putting a fabricated story to readers and when the facts become indisputable... it was just a story or "dark humor" as you say.. The real people that you characterized so badly in the story may not see the humor.

I notice you do not dispute my facts... you were not "order off the island" among other ridiculous claims. Every bad thing that happened to you was your own doing. The truth of the matter is here.

Everything you have said has been bullshit and if the tables were turned and you were the victim you would be.. well... GOK.

Claim what you like on your insurance, thats your way, but not mine. I would just go fix it and be done with it. But if you are truthful with them you will admit it was operator error/self inflicted.

Well... black comedy is OK eh?

Well I've got one for you.. how about the one about the incompetent wanna be sailor figuring out it is over his head so rather than face up to it and having a massive inferiority complex, he blames everyone handy for every bungle he makes to save his own self image regardless of how hurtful or destructive it is to innocent parties. (take another pill!)

Since he can't avoid damaging his boat, let alone repair it without help, the boat will sit somewhere till it's half rotten. And so it will sell to someone for cheap who will fix her up and sail away. The previous owner threatening to sue the broker because it wasn't his fault the boat sold cheap etc etc etc... the dog ate his homework and so on...

But hey.. it's just black humor so everything is OK.

I truly feel sorry for you. It's very apparent you have some problems that I am not qualified to help with but when you savage good people in the process, you have gone too far. It's not on.

Suggest you look for a position in government. It'll suit your talents.

Just because you own a boat, doesn't mean you are a sailor.

P.S

No, it wasn't me that complained or had your drivel removed but I agree with it.






__________________
why me? is offline  
Old 28-01-2010, 22:57   #28
Moderator Emeritus
 
FrankZ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Posts: 13,565
Images: 1
This thread is closed.
__________________

__________________
Sing to a sailor's courage, Sing while the elbows bend,
A ruby port your harbor, Raise three sheets to the wind.
......................-=Krynnish drinking song=-
FrankZ is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Act Now to Save Middle Percy Island, OZ svstrider Pacific & South China Sea 12 12-07-2010 23:28
The Battle for Percy Island Bob Norson Pacific & South China Sea 4 09-02-2010 17:44
Zincs... Why ate up so fast? Stillraining General Sailing Forum 10 10-11-2008 15:38
Percy Island TV cover piss poor Bob Norson Cruising News & Events 2 11-06-2006 13:39
PERCY ISLAND SAGA ON TV TODAY! 5 june Bob Norson Cruising News & Events 0 04-06-2006 16:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.