Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00   #1

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
The Adventure Excitement vs Fear

My trainer boat is a Wind Rider 16 with an LC or GVWR of 500 lbs. I'm land locked, luckily. The boat is 200 lbs and I'm pushing 270, "and that's when it happened!!"

I went to "train," with my wife aboard, (anyone not on the edge of your seat already, should start reading again.! Exceeding GVWR kills.!)

While training in the midddle of the lake, a gust buried the bow. With water filling the craft, my wife and I were in a state of pannick.!

She grabbed the bilge pump handle and went to work! (Her arm was soar for a month. Sorry dear, yes dear.!)
At that point it clicked, "Release the Sail.!!!" As I did, the bow popped up like a cork!
We were happy to know that we would not be swimming back.!! I said that was excitement and she said, "Your excitment looked so much like fear that I got afraid.!" She had a point, after-all the hull was over half full of water by the time I released the sail..!!!
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:01   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: The Adventure Excitement vs Fear

**** happens
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18   #3

The number one way to die in the US before 35 is in a car accident. When was the last time you saw someone genuinely aware of that level of risk and taking appropriate steps?

Most sailors are dropping dead from strokes and heart disease (almost entirely from lifestyle choices), but the community focuses on storms and safety gear.

In short, we as a people generally suck at concerning ourselves with the truly risky things in life.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The number one way to die in the US before 35 is in a car accident. When was the last time you saw someone genuinely aware of that level of risk and taking appropriate steps?

Most sailors are dropping dead from strokes and heart disease (almost entirely from lifestyle choices), but the community focuses on storms and safety gear.

In short, we as a people generally suck at concerning ourselves with the truly risky things in life.
Truth. The devil we know isn't as scary as the one we don't. Ignorance is the true root of fear. People are cavalier in a motor vehicle but frightened by the thoughts of something they're not familiar with even if it is quantifiably less risky.

People ask us all the time how we'll deal with pirates. I ask them how they'll deal with bad drivers and McDonald's french fries.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31   #5

Atleast we laugh about it now.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04   #6
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

cool experience. You now have a better understanding of your boats limits.

I so remember the terror and excitement of learning to sail a dinghy in strong winds. The actual consequences were not very high, but the feeling that I was on the edge of totally losing control was terrifying.

I guess that is a big part of what drives us, overcoming fear. Some run away from fear, some run towards it, and others, like me, hang around it long enough until it turns into fun.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46   #7

Yeah, adrenalin is addicting. Tours in Iraq were, rushes hard to replicate.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Not sure I would say almost entirely. Heart disease often time are genetics. According to some studies, up to 80%. Personally, my liver produces too much "bad" cholesterol. I'm a vegetarian and with statins, it's still a challenge to control the numbers.
That being said, I agree that lifestyle has a huge effect on heart disease. When you see a person, who haven't seen their feet in years, at a fast food joint scarfing down a double patty burger dripping in grease. You know their days are numbered.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 11:49   #9

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

When you left the dock with your wife, you as the skipper, have her life in your hands. When she saw fear in your eyes, it terrified her. I'm well aware of the dynamic as I am the skipper with not only a wife, but two small ones as well. It's quite a thing to have that responsibility on ones shoulders.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 18:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not sure I would say almost entirely. Heart disease often time are genetics. According to some studies, up to 80%. Personally, my liver produces too much "bad" cholesterol. I'm a vegetarian and with statins, it's still a challenge to control the numbers.
That being said, I agree that lifestyle has a huge effect on heart disease. When you see a person, who haven't seen their feet in years, at a fast food joint scarfing down a double patty burger dripping in grease. You know their days are numbered.
Yeah man but you're an exception. Look around at the average cruising sailor and tell me they couldn't stand lose 50lbs and swap out the tacos for a salad with vinegar dressing every now and again.

I really have no idea what the numbers are though on genetics vs lifestyle, but even at that, if you talk safety with anyone they'll never bring up physical health and instead the conversation is about jacklines and tethers.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 18:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Yeah, adrenalin is addicting. Tours in Iraq were, rushes hard to replicate.
Well if you get tired of getting wet, just go learn to jump out of perfectly
good airplanes at 3 to 15k. Trust a old Nam Vet the need for the adrenalin
fix never goes away, but it gets to where racing cops pretty much quinces
the thirst...

The only folks that never make a error are the ones that never do anything,
which is truly the biggest mistake of all. Sounds like in spite of the mishap
you had a worthwhile adventure. She let you off the sofa yet ? lol
Welcome home...

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Well if you get tired of getting wet, just go learn to jump out of perfectly good airplanes at 3 to 15k. Trust a old Nam Vet the need for the adrenalin fix never goes away, but it gets to where racing cops pretty much quinces the thirst... The only folks that never make a error are the ones that never do anything, which is truly the biggest mistake of all. Sounds like in spite of the mishap you had a worthwhile adventure. She let you off the sofa yet ? lol Welcome home...
Thanks, still working out the whether or not it's good to be back part. Yes, I've made it from the couch to the Admirals Chambers, she's almost removed the pillow wall a time or two..! ;-)
Old 08-01-2014, 19:19   #13

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

My first mate has a theory. People who know the danger, are afraid, but meet the challenge are brave. People without fear are crazy. She claims that is why she is brave and I,m just plain crazy.
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 18:24   #14

Yep, funny how that works....😉
Old 10-01-2014, 19:24   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
... I went to "train," with my wife aboard, (anyone not on the edge of your seat already, should start reading again.! Exceeding GVWR kills.!)
Not sure what the OP is trying convey in his message as I don’t think ‘Adventure’ and ‘Fear’ are mutually exclusive.

But we all know that stupidity is universal when first learning to sail as most of us should admit.

Keep this cautionary tale in mind when you are trying to get your wife back out there and good luck:

“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”

“I should think so — in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!”
The Hobit, JRR Tolkien
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men