Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 22:54   #91

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I might look into licensing some day...

Interesting how far this thread has gone...

For me, When I said I might consider licensing, it was somewhat serious. It's always nice to have a job you enjoy. I used to enjoy my job and lately I'm really hating it so when I retire in 6yrs (hopefully) I want to look into doing something completely different. What? I don't know... but I want to do something I enjoy again.

Enjoy yourself, Rebel.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 22:54   #92

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

This is totally out of hand. Rebel posts a picture with some babes, then makes a humorous comment about the advantage of his captains license. Remind me not to post any rally pictures. WOW
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 23:06   #93

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
This is totally out of hand. Rebel posts a picture with some babes, then makes a humorous comment about the advantage of his captains license. Remind me not to post any rally pictures. WOW
Post those rally pictures here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post881391

I'm the OP on that thread and would like to see them.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40   #94

Hi Bob,

Handsome Husband Jay was on some Noble rigs... Eddie Paul, Johnny Hoffmann, Tom Jobe, Lester Pettis, Mac Smith

Served some time in the north Atlantic too, he's been on the Hibernia platform, amongst others. He used to come home and tell me the wildest damn tales: 'Yeah, almost couldn't get outta there, the helicopters don't run if it's more than 75kt...' 'The waves were slapping the base of the platform,' crap like that.... G.Zeus, I used to just freak out but then I got used to the life, it became, 'ok honey, stay gone longer, drill deeper, send more money...'

Rebel: the Moorings cats are actually Leopards, built by Caine & Robertson in SA. You could have nailed the dock and I doubt anything would have happened to the boat, they're pretty beefy, or at least the one I was on was (ex-Moorings boat)
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13   #95

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
A bit of fun is always good. A lot of fun is better. There are always those on any forum that want to spoil it and make it something else,
The person who rain'd on the party has a tendency to do that on other threads too. We all have our stuff I guess.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35   #96
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The person who rain'd on the party has a tendency to do that on other threads too. We all have our stuff I guess.
An insightful observation. Unfortunately, some have more stuff than others.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Hi Bob,

Handsome Husband Jay was on some Noble rigs... Eddie Paul, Johnny Hoffmann, Tom Jobe, Lester Pettis, Mac Smith

Served some time in the north Atlantic too, he's been on the Hibernia platform, amongst others. He used to come home and tell me the wildest damn tales: 'Yeah, almost couldn't get outta there, the helicopters don't run if it's more than 75kt...' 'The waves were slapping the base of the platform,' crap like that.... G.Zeus, I used to just freak out but then I got used to the life, it became, 'ok honey, stay gone longer, drill deeper, send more money...'

Rebel: the Moorings cats are actually Leopards, built by Caine & Robertson in SA. You could have nailed the dock and I doubt anything would have happened to the boat, they're pretty beefy, or at least the one I was on was (ex-Moorings boat)
I was also on the Eddie Paul in the GoM. My first day in the North Sea I showed up with a massive black eye, everyone assumed I was in a bar (pub) fight. I got it during training, getting out of the flipped over helicopter fuselage in the water.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:07   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull

I have a 100 ton master USCG license, worked my way up to it in the GOM oil fields for Chevron. I have seen and done many things that so called "paper captains " would freak out on. I attended the Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart, FL. Have met many "captains" there, hard to get real experience going out on lunch cruises every third week of the month. I like when a captain asked me what they meant by " see you on the one" ha.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:13   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull

The babes are a nice touch and truly a great perk to the lifestyle we have chosen. I live on a sailboat now and would not have it any other way. I would be pretty damn excited to get a nice gig working a yacht as captain, don't get me wrong. Just don't like "paper captains" looking down on the work boats lol.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
I have a 100 ton master USCG license, worked my way up to it in the GOM oil fields for Chevron. I have seen and done many things that so called "paper captains " would freak out on. I attended the Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart, FL. Have met many "captains" there, hard to get real experience going out on lunch cruises every third week of the month. I like when a captain asked me what they meant by " see you on the one" ha.
I've seen some fine boat handling skills from all those supply boats in the Gulf.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:18   #101

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Rebel... what was my wife doing aboard with you that day... she told me she was going to the mall! Seriously, nice to have a fun sail with fun people to break up the dull weeks but it is all good as long as we are on the water.
I'm surprised we didn't run in to each other in SD but I'm sure we passed in the ship channel off N Coronado as you were taking out the 'fishermen' and I was delivering something to or from somewhere over the years.
Now I'm retired, mostly at any rate, but still do the odd trip for friends but not enough to keep my sea miles up.
May do some lake work this summer on Tahoe for a family who bought a 35 footer but they don't know the pointy end from the blunt end.
It is all good... having a license provided me with a fair living over the years but it is not a cakewalk every trip. All the scary stuff happened when I was young enough not to care, thank goodness... as the years of experience piled on, I found I got more cautious and basically avoided situations that might be compromising, dangerous or overly stressful. Now I watch the weather, vessel condition and crew in that order more carefully. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19   #102

Boat: Skookum 53'

Good On you rebel heart. Wow what a response for a funny line and photo.
Reminds me when I was your age and running charters in Alaska during the summer, and working on head boats in the winter in FL. You are living the life and loving it. If you go up the license ladder, the big companies have figured out how to suck all the fun out of being on the water. Can't put a hand line over the side or I'll get fired. The day is coming fast when I get back to my roots, and enjoy being out to sea. Just laugh at the rest.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20   #103

Quote:
On the sport fisher I work on my regular co-captain wasn't available so we got some walk on and he was terrible; guy hadn't been on a helm in a year and there's no way he had 720 days of sea time. The definition of a paper captain.

On the other side though, if all you want to do is lunch cruises in the harbor you don't need to be an offshore delivery guy to pull that off. The clients on the lunch boat would much rather deal with a competent and friendly coastal sailor than a surly mariner who only bothers to grunt in between chain smoking cigarettes. In the lower tonnage business the goal is make sure the clients are safe and having fun, not to walk around measuring resumes with other captains.

I just don't see the reason to come down on folks who are being safe, having fun, and making an honest living in the process. Plenty of captains don't even know how to sail a boat, let a long enough to teach someone else how to do it.

If someone screws up and crashes a boat or does something stupid that causes an actual problem, that's a whole different ball of wax.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:22   #104

Quote:
The babes are a nice touch and truly a great perk to the lifestyle we have chosen. I live on a sailboat now and would not have it any other way. I would be pretty damn excited to get a nice gig working a yacht as captain, don't get me wrong. Just don't like "paper captains" looking down on the work boats lol.
My other working conditions. The switch for the windlass is completely exposed and I operate it with a fork. If you put your finger in the wrong place you get electrocuted. Good times.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

good for you! though allways found wearing ties dangerous around moving machinery and when winding whinches!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain