Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 18:24   #76

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

...I have seen this happen before on other threads where an individual feels it's their duty to kick sand in the face of a poster that is just being light humored. Then the avalanche of he did, she did starts.
Rebel...everyone looks happy in the photos and I admire your career. I feel knowledge is in all areas...books, classes and experienced old timers. I'm sure you have tapped into all.
You've probably heard the analogy of peeling the layers of the onion as to finding knowledge. However, when we get to the center of the onion, it exposes an onion field...start peeling!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:24   #77

Boat: Tartan 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

So's Zee.... set fair for points South.... should hear from her in a coupla days....
PS; I'm the different time zone... its 2am... my official warnings hour.... ahahaaaaaHHAAAAAAAAA
Safe sailing for you both. Off to bed with you before you turn into a pumpkin
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:25   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
As Rebel's wife I would like to add that he is not sexist, nor do I feel offended by his very first posting or the picture.

Threads like this are exactly why I avoid posting on CF. Seriously? Dude posts a photo from his awesome day sail and then five pages of this?

Would it have been better if the picture was of a plate of cheese and a nice bottle of wine?

Props to everyone who has maintained that this thread is ridiculous.
Hey Rebels wife.... good to meet you... see why he's got that cheesy smile all the time now...
Look on the bright side... your hubby knows who's who on here by now... and who to ignore... me for one..
Some folk take things to seriously.. or just miss the humour... but thats life..
Lotsa 'Green' about...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:26   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey Rebels wife.... good to meet you... see why he's got that cheesy smile all the time now...
Look on the bright side... your hubby knows who's who on here by now... and who to ignore... me for one..
Some folk take things to seriously.. or just miss the humour... but thats life..
Lotsa 'Green' about...
I'm not ignoring you bro! I came back from doing something and there were a gazillion replies!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:30   #80

Boat: Liberty 458
Competence depends on skill and experience. This is a training 101 fundamental principle.

Skills we typically get through a mix of doing and learning. Experience generally requires time and application of skills in different ways.

A licence typically indicates that we have learn't. A licence does not imply we are competent.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:31   #81

Boat: Tartan 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte
As Rebel's wife I would like to add that he is not sexist, nor do I feel offended by his very first posting or the picture.

Threads like this are exactly why I avoid posting on CF. Seriously? Dude posts a photo from his awesome day sail and then five pages of this?

Would it have been better if the picture was of a plate of cheese and a nice bottle of wine?

Props to everyone who has maintained that this thread is ridiculous.
Red Charlotte....I did not know you were Rebel Hearts wife! How nice. I knew he was married from postings I've read, but didn't put you together.

I recall you being treated shabbily over a sincere question and him coming to your defense, and now your support of him. BEAUTIFUL.

Don't let them get you down or keep you off the forum! We need to hear from more women who are good mates, support "the life" and want to make a home on the sea!

Warmly,
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:35   #82
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm not ignoring you bro! I came back from doing something and there were a gazillion replies!
I was speaking 'Metaphorically' Rebel....
Hope you had your tether on while you were peeing over the side....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:40   #83

Boat: too many

@Red Charlotte
Dearest Red,

That is one fine avatar, Eric is lucky dude. Sailing for a living, having you and the little one to come home to each night, doesn't get better than that and I hope you post more. IMHO, this thread was at least 75% fun and frivolity.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:47   #84

Boat: O'Day 28

Entertaining thread. Good one Rebel, and look what we learned about a few posters' backgrounds.

Best line: something about if I wanted half-wit opinions, I'd get a mirror.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 19:22   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
@Red Charlotte
Dearest Red,

That is one fine avatar, Eric is lucky dude. Sailing for a living, having you and the little one to come home to each night, doesn't get better than that and I hope you post more. IMHO, this thread was at least 75% fun and frivolity.
Thanks man. It's a pretty nice world over here. The little munchkin is putting her dolls night-night right now; it's adorable.

And having a hot wife is nice.
Old 06-02-2012, 21:06   #86

For me to be home every night I'd have to night mate because I don't have local, complete piloting awareness for any port, and that elusive harbor pilot gig is way beyond my resume. Harbor Pilot is the best gig you can get, home every night but still pulling down what you would being gone a month at a time. Of course could leave the dry California sunshine for the PNW and get on the Washington State ferries. That would be a good gig, not to mention for vacation, could cruise to Alaska.
Old 06-02-2012, 21:30   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
For me to be home every night I'd have to night mate because I don't have local, complete piloting awareness for any port, and that elusive harbor pilot gig is way beyond my resume. Harbor Pilot is the best gig you can get, home every night but still pulling down what you would being gone a month at a time. Of course could leave the dry California sunshine for the PNW and get on the Washington State ferries. That would be a good gig, not to mention for vacation, could cruise to Alaska.
A girl I know has a boyfriend who's a bar pilot somewhere on the mississippi. She tried explaining it to me but apparently to get some big stuff up that river you need a couple different types of pilots.

I know he got the job because his dad had it (and he has the experience). He told me to be a pilot you "need to be the pilot's son or sleeping with his daughter."
Old 06-02-2012, 21:48   #88

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Rebel, they are from Pilot Town LA. It's a water locked town down the Miss ! near the entrances to the river. Mostly the same familys for ever ! BIG Money, all they do is bring them to the main river and the river Pilot comes aboard !! like the lady said, ya gotta be born in or married in Period !! just a little local knowage LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 22:23   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

A bit of fun is always good. A lot of fun is better. There are always those on any forum that want to spoil it and make it something else, and i have not been here long enough to know who those are. The worst thing is if folks stop posting up the happy side for fear of being shot down by the angst ridden few. We should applaud anyone that puts up a post that brightens up anyone's day. They took the time, made the effort. Smile and say thanks, don't scowl and find fault.

Coops.
Old 06-02-2012, 22:35   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
A bit of fun is always good. A lot of fun is better. There are always those on any forum that want to spoil it and make it something else, and i have not been here long enough to know who those are. The worst thing is if folks stop posting up the happy side for fear of being shot down by the angst ridden few. We should applaud anyone that puts up a post that brightens up anyone's day. They took the time, made the effort. Smile and say thanks, don't scowl and find fault.

Coops.
X2, and I keep forgetting on this forum just posting X2 doesn't fly because it is too short of a reply.

Tags
captain