Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 18:03   #286

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
They've done it! They've made a boat that will bring the boating world together. Now there's a boat we can all scorn!
I'll give you that, a speed boat with sails. What were they thinking?!!

Mind you, at least they do try to innovate, B+R rigs (no flame please!), those handy stern seats, etc. A company that at least has the guts to try new ideas should be aplauded, even if they get it wrong sometimes.
Old 30-05-2011, 18:23   #287

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
I'll give you that, a speed boat with sails. What were they thinking?!!

Mind you, at least they do try to innovate, B+R rigs (no flame please!), those handy stern seats, etc. A company that at least has the guts to try new ideas should be aplauded, even if they get it wrong sometimes.
Not much of a new idea there. Looks like they copied the Macgregor 25m. UUHHGGG WHY WHY WHY?????
Old 30-05-2011, 18:34   #288
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

yeah, they should have at least put in TWIN I/Os!!
Old 30-05-2011, 18:51   #289
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Crap, utter crap. Sorry, but ANY boat can be neglected, to make such a generalised statement is very nieve.

I recently saw a 1994 Hunter 40.5 and she was MINT. Rigging was shiny and in good order, NO stress cracks, no blisters, no evidence of any leaks from windows, all interior wood like new, etc, etc. Anyone who doesn't know alot about boats would have said she was 4 or 5 years old max. In fact, when I first saw her, I thought it was a much later Hunter 410, not a boat that has been a family cruiser for nearly 17 years.

The only reason I didn't buy it was that the owner knew what a good boat she was and wouldn't budge on price.

I have certainly seen more respected brands like Swan, Oyster, Moody, etc. that have been treated worse and looked it.
A shame more people don't realize this. I purchased a new Hunter 410 in 1998, lived on it for eight years, sailed it 10,000 nm, and then sold it in 2006 for the base price I'd bought it for. While we certainly didn't get back the money for a few of the things we put into it, such as a diesel furnace, the boat sold for its original MSRP base price within a few weeks of being listed.
Old 31-05-2011, 04:06   #290
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Don, a friend of mine is quite keen on buying a 10 year old, 46 foot Hunter, what should we be looking for?

I wouldn't know. All I know about are models I considered. I recommend you read owner reviews etc at:

HunterOwners.com
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44   #291

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

Great topic for me, seeing I'm looking at a '91-'95 H37.5, I read about all the reply's but didn't see any comments about the 37.5? Agreed they are good for their intended purpose, For me it's a live aboard, sailing up and down the East coast of the Great USA into the Chesapeake Bay, Maybe to the Bahamas in the future. So for that I feel it would be perfect. So does anyone have any good or Bad comments for that boat along those years? Thanks for any input.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40   #292

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
Great topic for me, seeing I'm looking at a '91-'95 H37.5, I read about all the reply's but didn't see any comments about the 37.5? Agreed they are good for their intended purpose, For me it's a live aboard, sailing up and down the East coast of the Great USA into the Chesapeake Bay, Maybe to the Bahamas in the future. So for that I feel it would be perfect. So does anyone have any good or Bad comments for that boat along those years? Thanks for any input.
Probably be just fine, all of the complaints I have heard are from people singlehanding one across the atlantic through a hurricane.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43   #293

LOL, I sailed a mid eighties, 40' over the the dry tortuga's and it was great, had calm weather but still a nice boat.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:01   #294

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

The swept spreaders on the B&R rig appear to prevent you from letting the boom all the way out on a downwind run without seriously messing up (chafing/holing) the mainsail. Saw a 40'+ Hunter in the harbor the other day doing this, and the mainsail looked awful. I don't know why they insist on using that rig.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52   #295

Good point to look out for a worn main, They do have the backstay that was missing from some rigs, and I feel better having a backstay.
Old 09-06-2011, 13:50   #296
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
The swept spreaders on the B&R rig appear to prevent you from letting the boom all the way out on a downwind run without seriously messing up (chafing/holing) the mainsail. Saw a 40'+ Hunter in the harbor the other day doing this, and the mainsail looked awful. I don't know why they insist on using that rig.
Because you get to have a larger main and smaller head sail, which together is easier to handle. The boat you saw isn't a Hunter design problem, it's a problem with the people sailing and maintaining it (they don't sail their boat the way the sail plan is designed and they apparently don't in turn maintain their sails in good condition).
Old 09-06-2011, 13:59   #297
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Because you get to have a larger main and smaller head sail, which together is easier to handle. The boat you saw isn't a Hunter design problem, it's a problem with the people sailing and maintaining it (they don't sail their boat the way the sail plan is designed and they apparently don't in turn maintain their sails in good condition).
Is there a trick to sailing the Hunter that I don't know? I've sailed them a couple of times including a 2 week charter and even with a vang I could not ease the main very far before it was rubbing on the spreaders. Only other idea I had was to tack down wind.
Old 09-06-2011, 14:07   #298

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

If you can't sail dead downwind without a spreader poking a hole through your mainsail, I would consider that to be a design flaw. Essentially, you can't sail wing-and-wing on a B&R rigged Hunter without risk to your mainsail. I don't get it.
Old 09-06-2011, 14:26   #299

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-Gene View Post
To net it out... The Hunters are wonderful day/WE sailors. Cats are for cruising!! Please visit Tethys-Society.ORG

Gene
You're in luck. Hunter makes a cat now. They're building the Gemini 105Mc catamaran.

Fabbian
Old 09-06-2011, 14:29   #300
CLOD

So you tack down wind, put up the spinnaker, etc. The only time I'm going that dead down wind is in a seaway because there isn't any room to sail to a faster point. Put the main to center, or just drop it, and sail on the head sail for a little while. (And I can sail my BR rig wing-on-wing).

And if you put the main on the spreaders - so what! That's what the chafe patches are there for! If you do it regularly enough you will just have to spend the couple hundred dollars every couple of years to get new ones.

If you really plan to spend most of your sailing life with the wind within 20 degress of dead behind you, then get a differnt boat (or setup a double head sail rig).

So far I don't find the loss of down wind sailing angles to be much compared to my Cal-39. And the extra speed I'm getting more than makes up for the loss of usable angles.

In the end if the B&R rig was such a big negative the boats wouldn't sell. And since in the end this is the most important thing to every boat builder, they would change it.
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter