Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2014, 12:47   #526
cruiser

Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Their upgrading list was surprisingly minimal in terms of structural stuff. I remember they added an inner forestay and a couple of other things (I can't remember the whole list) - but it wasn't like they rebuilt the boat by any means. Most of the upgrades were just add-ons. I'm sure you can find the whole list in their book:

Welcome Aboard | SEQUITUR

As for your last sentence, I fully understand that this sentiment exists. It's just that it's wrong.

You know, you are entitled to your opinion, but when it comes to sailboats, often there is no *absolute* right or wrong.

Many accomplished sailors would argue that no fin keel sailboat is a bluewater sailboat. I think that's neither right nor wrong, because there are many kinds of blue water. It also depends on the sailor, how well the boat has been maintained, and a host of other things. But there's nothing extreme about upgrading the rigging before doing serious water sailing">blue water sailing on a Hunter, and anyone who doesn't recognize how tender it is and be prepared for that is an idiot.

I loved my Hunter. I just didn't ask it to be a Creekmore, any more than I expect my dog to be a bear.
Old 22-10-2014, 12:55   #527
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygger View Post
You know, you are entitled to your opinion, but when it comes to sailboats, often there is no *absolute* right or wrong.

Many accomplished sailors would argue that no fin keel sailboat is a bluewater sailboat. I think that's neither right nor wrong, because there are many kinds of blue water. It also depends on the sailor, how well the boat has been maintained, and a host of other things. But there's nothing extreme about upgrading the rigging before doing serious blue water sailing on a Hunter, and anyone who doesn't recognize how tender it is and be prepared for that is an idiot.

I loved my Hunter. I just didn't ask it to be a Creekmore, any more than I expect my dog to be a bear.
Be careful on the "idiot" thing. I got a smackdown for saying something similar (yet a bit more tame) from the other side of the debate. It doesn't bother me at all - just giving you a heads-up.

As for the last sentence, I'm glad you didn't ask this of your boat or your dog. I think that's wise.
Old 22-10-2014, 12:56   #528

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Their upgrading list was surprisingly minimal in terms of structural stuff. I remember they added an inner forestay and a couple of other things (I can't remember the whole list) - but it wasn't like they rebuilt the boat by any means. Most of the upgrades were just add-ons. I'm sure you can find the whole list in their book:

Welcome Aboard | SEQUITUR

As for your last sentence, I fully understand that this sentiment exists. It's just that it's wrong.
People who spend as much money as we have on our present boat tend to "look down" on Hunters. I guess it's human nature to feel compelled to rationalize personal decisions . However,our previous boat was a H 40.5 so I suspect I have a more realistic perspective than some of the Internet experts with compelling self-esteem issues which creates the need to denigrate others.

Chalk it up to a need to nurse an injured ego compounded by a need to sound authoritative,or both. Regardless,we've had more structural issues with our meticulously built Alden than we did with the H which always evoked a sense of security in bad weather...but experience doesn't "count" here...
Old 22-10-2014, 13:08   #529
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
People who spend as much money as we have on our present boat tend to "look down" on Hunters. I guess it's human nature to feel compelled to rationalize personal decisions . However,our previous boat was a H 40.5 so I suspect I have a more realistic perspective than some of the Internet experts with compelling self-esteem issues which creates the need to denigrate others.

Chalk it up to a need to nurse an injured ego compounded by a need to sound authoritative,or both. Regardless,we've had more structural issues with our meticulously built Alden than we did with the H which always evoked a sense of security in bad weather...but experience doesn't "count" here...
It does with me. Actually, that's all the counts.
Old 22-10-2014, 14:08   #530
cruiser

Be honest Smackdaddy, if you found yourself on your 40ft Hunter, hundreds of miles out to sea in the Force 10 conditions depicted in this video.... you'd S%#T your pants, and everyone here on the forum knows it.

Forget about the make of the boat in the video, just try to put you and your Hunter 40 in it's place. Very, very, very few Hunter owners, would be foolish enough to risk putting themselves in this situation knowing the limitations of their boat and its rig.
Old 22-10-2014, 14:42   #531
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Be honest Smackdaddy, if you found yourself on your 40ft Hunter, hundreds of miles out to sea in the Force 10 conditions depicted in this video.... you'd S%#T your pants, and everyone here on the forum knows it.

Forget about the make of the boat in the video, just try to put you and your Hunter 40 in it's place. Very, very, very few Hunter owners, would be foolish enough to risk putting themselves in this situation knowing the limitations of their boat and its rig.
What does how I might feel in those conditions have to do with anything? We're talking about boats, not feelings or pants.

As noted already, a Hunter 49 handled those same conditions pretty easily - except it did so in the Southern Ocean where sea states are widely known to be pretty crazy - usually crazier than a Spring run between Ipswich and Corfu. And it did so in the same area where the Oyster you mentioned sunk. Just sayin'.

So - awesome video. A serious BFS for sure. But it doesn't change anything regarding this discussion.
Old 22-10-2014, 14:54   #532

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Smack , CE Rating mean Crap European regulations, CE Category A is smoke..
Old 22-10-2014, 15:19   #533
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Smack , CE Rating mean Crap European regulations, CE Category A is smoke..
Of course. It would have to be, wouldn't it?
Old 22-10-2014, 16:17   #534

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Looks like the Gulf of Mexico last time I crossed it, and the time before that....I think Oysters are fine sailboats, didn't know you had to get larger hats after buying one...
Old 22-10-2014, 18:19   #535
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Looks like the Gulf of Mexico last time I crossed it, and the time before that....I think Oysters are fine sailboats, didn't know you had to get larger hats after buying one...

For myself I see nothing wrong in being pleased with owning a fine, well-built boat.
Old 22-10-2014, 19:07   #536
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Hey Bob! Whazzap brotha?!?!
Old 22-10-2014, 19:08   #537
cruiser

Quote:
For myself I see nothing wrong in being pleased with owning a fine, well-built boat.
I think that goes for all of us.
Old 22-10-2014, 19:17   #538
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mmmmm . . . . 36 pages?

I would suggest "blue water success" is about 85% the skipper, 14% luck (of various types - health, financial, weather, relationship, etc), and 1% other (including the boat brand).

Beach cats and bath tubs have sailed across oceans and around the horn. I would suggest the fact they have says more about their skippers and their luck than about their seaworthiness.

Can hunters cross oceans - yes, of course; are there better built/designed boats for blue water - yes, of course; are they "necessary" for blue water - no, of course not; and are they worth the extra money - that's an entirely personal decision with no right or wrong answer.

What was the question again
Old 22-10-2014, 19:18   #539
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Bob_77903 has a fine, well built boat.....but not a big head.

Ralph
Old 22-10-2014, 19:24   #540
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Mmmmm . . . . 36 pages?

I would suggest "blue water success" is about 85% the skipper, 14% luck (of various types - health, financial, weather, relationship, etc), and 1% other (including the boat brand).

Beach cats and bath tubs have sailed across oceans and around the horn. I would suggest the fact they have says more about their skippers and their luck than about their seaworthiness.

Can hunters cross oceans - yes, of course; are there better built/designed boats for blue water - yes, of course; are they "necessary" for blue water - no, of course not; and are they worth the extra money - that's an entirely personal decision with no right or wrong answer.

What was the question again
Plus-Freakin'-1.
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter