Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 09:18   #121

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
If marketing didn't always trump substance and thereby form the basis by which people make value judgments about merchandise, be it a boat, car, politician or whatever, we would likely not have our current President and MB would simply be another European car.

The Alden we currently own is similar in many respects to my neighbor's Hunter and Catalina. They all go aground, have breakdowns, are similarly built, require constant maintenance and get dirty equally quickly. These comparison debates are always entertaining but nothing more.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:23   #122

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Heeellllloooo ... the thread is 'Sudden Attraction to Hunters'

Getting kind of far a field, aren't we .....
Old 29-07-2010, 11:38   #123
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
Getting kind of far a field, aren't we .....
The Hillman Hunter

Development of the Hillman Hunter cars

Be grateful, very grateful, they didn't also make boats
Old 29-07-2010, 12:13   #124

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The Hillman Hunter

Development of the Hillman Hunter cars

Be grateful, very grateful, they didn't also make boats
I stand corrected. Good one, LOL!!!!
Old 29-07-2010, 12:19   #125

Boat: L 34
Anyone old enough to recognise that Hillman Hunter gets a free cemetary plot. ! !
Those wheels are Ford "Rostyle" (Ford Capri), the engine is a Peugeot 404, and while cars of that vintage are rare, there are very many boats of the same vintage still giving lots of fun. Mercedes, ? Ha! German and British engineers died in the war. The Japanese took their ideas and improved/economised/lightened/and "efficient-ised" them, to make German and British designs laughable.
Old 29-07-2010, 12:29   #126

Boat: C & C 27 Abby Normal
Did a delivery of abrand new Hunter 38 (I think) about 10 years ago. We were going from Detroit around the mitten to Grand Traveres Bay. Well in typical Lake Huron fashion, we run into a hell ride up around Tawas. 15 footers and raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Go below for foulies and hear every piece of teak (I think it was teak) groaning in the boat. I'm like WTF!!!! So I start looking around and the boat is literaly twisting at the mast. I had the delivery skipper come below and pointed out the twisting action of the hull. He didn't seem to concerned but I asked where the PFD's were and if we had an EPIRB aboard. Not like their going to help in Lake Huron but it gave some piece of mind. We get to the Bay, dock the boat and I go below for my wallet and cell phone. The drawer almost wouldn't open where it was stowed. I tried several with the same result. Delivery skipper says once the boat settles they will all work fine. Huh!!!! Seriously!!!!

Plus it sailed like a pig and was way under powered while motoring.

I would get a Bendy way before a Hunter.

My .02$
Old 29-07-2010, 20:46   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

The Alden we currently own is similar in many respects to my neighbor's Hunter and Catalina. They all go aground, have breakdowns, are similarly built, require constant maintenance and get dirty equally quickly. These comparison debates are always entertaining but nothing more.
When did you sell the Hunter? Congrats on the Alden, which one?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:41   #128
CLOD

Boat: none
I was looking at old threads I had started because I knew there was an answer to something else in it that I was looking for; but came across this one and read it all though (must have too much free time).

Thanks to all who took part. In the end I did get a 2001 Hunter 410 (really a 43.5' boat). Hopefully others when coming across and reading all the way though will give consideration to a 90s+ Hunter, and other production boats, when making their decision. And not feel they need to get a 1980s era tank to stay within their budget in order to not get a dealth trap in a cruising boat.
Old 10-01-2011, 20:06   #129

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Congrats on your new purchase Don. I hope she provides you with many years of wonderful sailing and untold adventures.

All the best.
Old 11-01-2011, 20:09   #130

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
What an interesting read, funny how any Hunter thread seems to come up with such WILDLY differing views!

I too must confess, i'm seriously considering a Hunter. I've been looking for quite some time now and while there are many stories about Hunters being bad in the past, i've read just as many, if not more, reports of very happy owners with later models. To me, they just seem to offer the right combination of packaging, style and value. Sure, they have a very reasonable price when new compared to many other makes but why do most people see this as a bad thing? If you look at Hunter's own exccelent and informative website, you'll see many of the processes that enable them to keep costs down. It's simply down to an effecient production process and ecconomy of scale. Sure, a proper 'hand built' custom yacht may be better overall but would also cost many more times the amount as a Hunter to build. We all (well most) drive round in production line cars and are happy with them so why not a boat?

For my intended budget here in Europe, you can get a very nice looking Hunter 376 or 410 from the late 90's. To get a similar sized 'proper brand', I'd have to be dropping to the mid 1980's at best.

Don, i'd be very interested to hear of your impressions of your Hunter 410. I'm interested in a 1999 410 here in Europe. The one i've seen has recently comfortably completed a round the world cruise, so much for coastal only!
Old 11-01-2011, 20:39   #131
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Congratulations, Don.

We lived aboard a Hunter 410 for eight years, cruised it 10,000 nm, and never once had it sink beneath us.

May your 410 treat you as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45   #132
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Don, i'd be very interested to hear of your impressions of your Hunter 410. I'm interested in a 1999 410 here in Europe. The one i've seen has recently comfortably completed a round the world cruise, so much for coastal only!

Haven't sailed it yet (there's a big snow strom here going on as I type with at least 12" snow).

But based on reviews, both magnazine type and owners (thanks Bash), I expect the boat to sail well. I acturally had convinced myself that I was going to have to take a sailing performance hit compared to my Cal-39 to get that nice heavy/safe cruiser we talk about. But based on all my research I don't think I am with the Hunter.

The comfort of course is a given. So far I haven't seen anyone trying to say a Hunter isn't comfortable!

A good source is HunterOwners.com - Home where you can get specs and read owner reviews. Sure owners normally like their boat, but if you get 20+ reviews and the worst thing they complain about is the seal on the refrigation box, well that's a good boat overall.

PS - if you looking at the 376 then consider the 40.5.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:05   #133

Boat: deboated
I am not sure it only applies to Hunters as I have noticed recently a change in view regarding modern production boats. People like MarkJ have made people sit up and look a little more closely at these boats. I am with Don regarding the 80's style boats. Just like cars some see more in old designs but me I like modern stuff boat or car. My only reservation about the Hunters is no backstay its not so much the lack of stay but more so the extra loads needed in other areas to compensate. Sometimes a different design has +- but with the Hunter rig I see mainly negatives in fact it comes across as different just to be different rather than being better. More a marketing tool rather than better design.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:06   #134

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Congrats Don! If we all liked the same boat, only about 1/4 of us would be able to own one at any given time. May she serve you well.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:29   #135

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Thanks Don, hope she serves you well. Clear blue skys and 72deg here!!

I take it you have the 3 cabin version (to be honest, i don't know if they did a 2 cabin 'owners spec')? If so, how did you find the front 'master cabin' for space? I like the layout on paper but havent physicaly been to see one yet so was wondering if they are as spacious as they look in the pics. The idea of having a private 'en suite' head right in the bow looks very nice but is it big enough to use?

Tags
hunter