Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 04:10   #61
CLOD

Boat: none
Good points Mark. I wonder if the boat size thing is part of the rep problem. I can easily believe that production 30-32' boats are built lighter as a market/price item. These boats then get sailed harder and harder to the point that we are being used way past their intended purpose, then start breaking and this starts the bashing.
Old 22-06-2010, 04:48   #62

One of our sisterships lost a rudder. Not sure how you break a solid 6 inch SS rudder post but it happened. We have friends with Hunters, they like their boats and have sailed some distance with them. I think boats on a whole are tougher then people realize.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:05   #63

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I think boats on a whole are tougher then people realize.
I believe the problem is the old stigma Hunter had when they first produced boats. Some said they were not stiff or stable etc etc et... and it is the old farts who perpetuate this myth. That was then and this is now. They are extremely stiff, kevlar reinforced stingers in the hull. Read the following Q & A with Hunter.....some tough questions were asked and answered:
HunterOwners.com - Hunter Q&A
Old 22-06-2010, 06:26   #64

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
16 rudders falling off a production run of 2,000 per year is nothing.
Unless your boat happens to be one of the 16. And that's just the rudders. There are other maintenance issues.
Old 22-06-2010, 07:27   #65
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Unless your boat happens to be one of the 16. And that's just the rudders. There are other maintenance issues.
i have seen newer hunters with big cracks in the gelcoat where the shrouds connect to the boat. maybe this is the added stress of not having a backstay but it sure does not look good.
Old 22-06-2010, 11:46   #66
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
I believe the problem is the old stigma Hunter had when they first produced boats. Some said they were not stiff or stable etc etc et... and it is the old farts who perpetuate this myth. That was then and this is now. They are extremely stiff, kevlar reinforced stingers in the hull. Read the following Q & A with Hunter.....some tough questions were asked and answered:
HunterOwners.com - Hunter Q&A

This was a good discussion and info on construction. Wonder if the same is available for most of the "better" boats?
Old 22-06-2010, 12:18   #67

I'm curious as to how many rudders, keels, etc. have been reported as falling off Morris, Hinckley or Shannon boats?

Those manufacturers have no need to allay the fears of their clientelle (and prospective buyers) about build quality by publishing this sort of marketing document.
Old 22-06-2010, 12:48   #68
CLOD

Agreed, but at the same time how many Hunters does a Morris price tag buy?

How keels and rudders just fall off anyway? Most have help!
Old 22-06-2010, 12:48   #69

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I think there will always be some models that fail in some way from all builders.

We've all know of the Bavaria Match series early keel issues; the Grand Soliel Race Series issues; even one Hanse (oh dear me) that lost its rudder stock and as a result sunk in minutes. It happens.

But couple the repeated Hunter rudder issues with alleged lightweight build issues, a definate lack of safe deck access on some models, dog like performance from some, plus ADD IN in the fact they DO attract the ladies of the family - possibly leading to some models heading off across an ocean than perhaps should - then it is easy to see how they've retained the reputation we are discussing.

Reality is a good sailor can sail anywhere in a tin can. But the better the can he leaves port in then the greater chance he'll sail back!

Cheers

JOHN
Old 22-06-2010, 21:01   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Agreed, but at the same time how many Hunters does a Morris price tag buy?
If they are roughly the same size? Probably three or four. But you can only sail one at a time and it would be kind of silly to pay storage and upkeep for three boats you didn't need. So it's a silly argument.
Old 22-06-2010, 21:36   #71

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
If they are roughly the same size? Probably three or four. But you can only sail one at a time and it would be kind of silly to pay storage and upkeep for three boats you didn't need. So it's a silly argument.
Not so silly Curm.....
If we all had to waite until we could afford to purchase a new Morris, Hinkley or a Shannon, the largest amount of us, wouldnt be sailing anyway. and that probably includes you...
I could have dumped my money into one of those but honestly, I wasnt impressed with the performance factor........
So there are boat built for each of us.. and a Hunter, good or bad, has its place.................
Old 22-06-2010, 21:49   #72

Well, Kias have their place in the automotive world too.

I might buy a 1980's Hunter but never a new one. If I had enough money for a new Hunter, I'd buy a better built boat used. Wouldn't you rather be sailing something like a B40 or a Hood Wauquiez?
Old 22-06-2010, 23:29   #73

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Well, Kias have their place in the automotive world too.

I might buy a 1980's Hunter but never a new one. If I had enough money for a new Hunter, I'd buy a better built boat used. Wouldn't you rather be sailing something like a B40 or a Hood Wauquiez?
Exactly. But you will not find many ladies who feel the same way when they compare a pre-used Wauquiez with a brand new Hunter.........and like it or not the cosmetics have a huge sway on family decisions.

So hate to say it girls - its now clearly all YOUR fault.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 06-07-2010, 17:20   #74
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Just to add to the discussion. My family had a 1981 hunter 36 back in the early 90's we sailed to the Keys around Florida and Biscayne Bay on a regular basis. I thought the boat was a bit under built and it oil canned in heavier conditions. I also thought it was a little too tender. I think for a coastal cruiser a Hunter is a fine boat. Later in life I sold Hunters, Beneteaus, and Catalinas for a Brokerage. I did a couple Hunter boat show deliveries and thought that after Glen Henderson started designing them they seemed to sail a bit better. Of course the only other hunter I can compare to is a my families. Here is a survey of a early 90's Hunter 28 i remember reading a while ago online .

Boat Review* by David Pascoe - Hunter 28
Old 06-07-2010, 20:14   #75

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I never intended by buy my Hunter 30, but after looking at several other models for Bahamas cruising, it slowly kept rising on my list. I wanted shallow draft, but catamarans were out of my budget and I couldn't find a good bilge keeler. I found some of the older boats like the OI 30 and Endavours to be in bad shape and fairly cramped inside.

With a 4.3 foot draft and nice ergonomics, the Hunter wasn't perfect, but at $25K, it seemed a good compromise and capable of the job.

From Jacksonville to Georgetown, and back to the Abacos, it treated me well in what was a harder than average winter. The problems I had were almost all due to previous owner "upgrades" not the boat itself. Certainly there are a few places I think Hunter got a little too frugal on such as plywood backing plates, but many boat builders are guilty of the same.

It's not a boat I'd want to use for offshore, but a lot of cruisers never go offshore and for those who's interest lies in coastal & islands cruising, it's a boat worth considering.

To me, criticizing my Hunter 30 because it's not a passage maker is like criticizing my mountain bike because it doesn't win road races. It's simply not what it was built for. Most purchasers of bikes don't road race with them and most purchasers of sailboats will never sail them across an ocean.

My biggest complaint is that Hunter never made bilge keel versions, but that's my complaint of most monohulls.
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter