Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 00:50   #346
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfish View Post
My two cents, First, growing up in New England I have always had a love for Cape Dory, Sabre, Pearsons and Bristols. I grew up when these companies were just flourishing! Being old (lol) and having to single hand- I bought a Hunter 33. It really was not the traditional boats I like. The boat was bought new with the mariner pkg at the seattle boat show in 2004 (100K). I singled handed it all around the Pugent Sound, San Juan and Gulf Islands- Made the inside passage to AK. I have had up to three people aboard for two weeks at a time- longest cruise was 3 weeks. Average cruise 5 to 10 days. It was actually an ideal coastal cruiser for wife (two people).

I experienced ZERO problems with the boat. Will admitt I took very good care of the boat and had it serviced professionally! The boat looked as clean when I recently sold it this year as when I purchased it. I sold it for 90K.. 100K new 7 years ago (90K) this year. True, I added two independent GPS, Radar, Heating, Auto Pilot, three blade prop and Full enclosure, etc! So, I did lose some money! I had 7 great seasons ... What I liked about Hunter: a) I was able to get my wife cruising b) very easy to single hand all from the cockpit c) A 5 year full and what I will call a REAL service warranty (never needed it) but many of my friends who did - only praised about the service. What I did not like: b&r rig made it hard to sail down wind and I had to use a spinker, Wheel steering (I prefer a tiller), over all lines (I am a traditionalist).. Knowing I was going to sell my boat- wife no longer wants to cruise and I will continue to sail single handed. I have been looking for the older clasic boats I love. I still am in love with small classic boats like the Capre Dory, Dana, Flicka, Shannon 28 and will enjoy my search. I never could fall in love with the Hunter lines (i will admit that the new H33 has many improvements). Just wanted to share a positive experience about Hunter. Thanks!

I have a Hunter 31' and can see at least a reasonableness to all you say.

I think that's a sign of a true racer to prefer a tiller. Get it.

The cabins are extremely spacious and well designed, and especially by the time you get up to 33' your head is unusually comfortable for a mid-sized sailboat.

I think you would see less problem with the difficulties running downwind if you lived in Florida (where they are made) BECAUSE most of the year that's a very uncomfortable sail here -- it's HOT. There's no apparent wind to cool you off. But in addition, the boat are designed to jybe downwind very efficiently. There's a guy here who won a series of very challening races (PHRF) in a hunter with swept-back spreaders -- and without a spinnaker -- just jybing downwind as if it were an upwind tack. Since I like to sail with me or just one other person, and typically not a crue with lots and lots of experience, I tested that before I bought it. After I did buy it, a true beginner got the boat up to 7.3 knots one day on a fairly average day for here. She had no advice on sail trim from us. She was at the helm, so she gave the orders and we just followed them (how I do it if we're not in an emergency or situation that could lead to emergency).

I'm glad you took care of it but you have to take care of any boat.

What *I* don't like about those swept back spreaders is all the extra rigging, all of which will have to be replaced sooner or later. Just more to fail or spend big bux on. But FOR ME that was balanced out by the interior cabin.

Unfortunately designing such a big cabin DID affect the exterior lines -- th boat looks boxy. But she's comfortable to live on AND fast, not that easy to find.

On the other hand (how many hands do I have?) Someone else here won PHRF ... with a Cape Dory.=, which, by the way, wasn't all that well built. In his opinion he's had to redo some things that clearly should have been done much better at the factory to begin with. He would advise people to not assume a CD left the factory well put together. He has a 28' and I bet I have twice as much cabin space as he does, but I've paid for that with the exterior lines of the boat.

It's all a compromise on a sailbaot, but thank you for a post that reasonably analazyed Hunters.
Old 05-12-2011, 20:14   #347

Boat: Sabre 425, 42 ft

You can reason through any boat purchase but in the end, you have to LOVE the boat you settle on.

More importantly, if you expect to cruise with your mate/spouse, they better love it too.

My wife loves our Sabre as much or more than I do -- that's why last week when the boat was hauled out and needed to be winterized, and I was tied up with work, my spouse trudged down to the yard to do the work. She loved it -- she felt like she got to know the boat better.

Again, in the end it is about love. Love your Hunter, Sabre, Catalina, HR, Swan, Dory, IP you name it - but you better love it.
Old 15-03-2013, 12:31   #348

Thank you all for helping me decide on my new boat (both the for and against views).
I had a C&C 44 previously which was a lot of fun and pretty fast as well. It was difficult to singlehand, but 2 or 3 people that knew what they were doing could make it really scoot. I wanted to move into a more comfortable live aboard which was easier to handle and in the 40-45 foot range, so Hunters were on the list of boats to investigate (along with a Bene, Catalina and a Jeanneau)
I am a Great Lakes sailor so some of the issues discussed here relitave to 'passage makers' do not really apply, but others absolutely do. Lake Huron can get interesting when the wind is high or the storms pop up and I would not want to be out there in a boat that is less than capable. The C&C 44 was solid and as long as it was reefed could pound thru more than its captian could enjoy!
I have a huge respect for all you bluewater cruisers and appreciate the pro and con points about hunters.
So after searching for a few years for a 40+ foot cruiser for sale on the great lakes (not many to choose from) I finally purchased a 1998 Hunter 410 (2 stateroom, furling main and 5' keel) which is in excellent shape. After a complete survey I felt that even though it is 15 years it is still strong and looks great.
To deal with the downwind limitations of the B&R rig I added the same type of cruising spinniker I had on the C&C.
Besides the sea trial we did for the survey I do not have a lot of experience yet, but we will be back in the water late April and I will post the results.
I have been an engineer for 30+ years so investigating the claims made both for and against Hunters on this forum was educational. For my application I think this 410 is a perfect fit.
Thanks again to everyone for this frank discussion.
Raven-T
Old 15-03-2013, 12:43   #349
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven-T View Post
Thank you all for helping me decide on my new boat (both the for and against views).
I had a C&C 44 previously which was a lot of fun and pretty fast as well. It was difficult to singlehand, but 2 or 3 people that knew what they were doing could make it really scoot. I wanted to move into a more comfortable live aboard which was easier to handle and in the 40-45 foot range, so Hunters were on the list of boats to investigate (along with a Bene, Catalina and a Jeanneau)
I am a Great Lakes sailor so some of the issues discussed here relitave to 'passage makers' do not really apply, but others absolutely do. Lake Huron can get interesting when the wind is high or the storms pop up and I would not want to be out there in a boat that is less than capable. The C&C 44 was solid and as long as it was reefed could pound thru more than its captian could enjoy!
I have a huge respect for all you bluewater cruisers and appreciate the pro and con points about hunters.
So after searching for a few years for a 40+ foot cruiser for sale on the great lakes (not many to choose from) I finally purchased a 1998 Hunter 410 (2 stateroom, furling main and 5' keel) which is in excellent shape. After a complete survey I felt that even though it is 15 years it is still strong and looks great.
To deal with the downwind limitations of the B&R rig I added the same type of cruising spinniker I had on the C&C.
Besides the sea trial we did for the survey I do not have a lot of experience yet, but we will be back in the water late April and I will post the results.
I have been an engineer for 30+ years so investigating the claims made both for and against Hunters on this forum was educational. For my application I think this 410 is a perfect fit.
Raven-T
Congrates young fellow..Sounds like fun times ahead !
Old 15-03-2013, 13:25   #350
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I finally purchased a 1998 Hunter 410 (2 stateroom, furling main and 5' keel) which is in excellent shape. .......................... For my application I think this 410 is a perfect fit.
Raven-T

Good Hunter model choice

Could have done a little better if you had gotten the real keel and a little newer with the SS arch and real refrigation . But hey all boats have their issues.
Old 15-03-2013, 13:37   #351

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

hey.......I like my 430........its fast, easy to handle and easy to upgrade and the wife loves all the cabins......

we dont go below to cook on the stove when its rough.......that would be too dangerous

yanmar engine
kanzaki transmission
seaward stove
lewmar hatches
etc..etc..

what does hunter really make........besides the hull, and interior,....alot is supplied by some really successfull marine companys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	57099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	57100  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	57101  
Old 15-03-2013, 15:37   #352

That 430 looks like a lot of modern designs. A beautiful and functional design. Love it!
I know the fiberglass arch gets a lot of comments both positive and negative. As I said the selection of fresh water boats is limited and if a newer model with the metal arch was available I may have gone for it... but the fiberglass arch works for me.
Old 15-03-2013, 19:38   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

Good Hunter model choice

Could have done a little better if you had gotten the real keel and a little newer with the SS arch and real refrigation . But hey all boats have their issues.
Don,
I made the choice for a shallow keel due to the low water levels in lake Huron and Michigan. One of the reasons I sold my C&C 44 was the 8.5 draft.
We are 18 inches below chart datum right now so some marinas are difficult for big sailboats. Several only had 6-8' as it was when levers were at datum.
I hope the levels return to 'normal' in the next couple years.
I also realize the furling mainsail is going to be a performance hit. I would have chosen this feature in any other boat because I sail shorthanded much of the time.
I am excited to get out and see how it handles the big lake. Any info you could share about the 410 on fuel consumption/ speed under power or typical sailing speeds would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-R
Old 16-03-2013, 06:57   #354
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I am excited to get out and see how it handles the big lake. Any info you could share about the 410 on fuel consumption/ speed under power or typical sailing speeds would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-R

From 2 years of operation it appears that if I motor at about 5-6 knots that I use around 0.6 gph. I do have a 3 blade Flexofold prop.
Old 16-03-2013, 12:42   #355

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:

Don,
I made the choice for a shallow keel due to the low water levels in lake Huron and Michigan. One of the reasons I sold my C&C 44 was the 8.5 draft.
We are 18 inches below chart datum right now so some marinas are difficult for big sailboats. Several only had 6-8' as it was when levers were at datum.
I hope the levels return to 'normal' in the next couple years.
I also realize the furling mainsail is going to be a performance hit. I would have chosen this feature in any other boat because I sail shorthanded much of the time.
Thanks,
-R

I can't imagine an 8+ ft keel right now in the Great Lakes. I came through Lake Huron and western Lake Erie in late 2011 dragging frequently with my 6' keel in harbors. I hauled early last year because the haul out slip had under 5' in mid Sept.

On the Hunter topic I have 3 friends with them. One a 90s 31, a 2008 or so 36 and the third is I'm guessing (I'd need to look) 90s 38-42ish. All owners love them. The 31 sails more and works less than I do. The 36 was purchased but then the wife got very sick and passed away very young last year so they never had a chance to enjoy it. He plans to do some cruising though so we will see. The last one just got in from spending 18 years in the Caribbean cruising full time. When I asked if he was happy with his choice for a boat he said "if I had to do it all over again I would make the same choice."

It's all about a person's needs and where you are in life. I almost bought a mid 80s Hunter 34 but it had issues the owner wouldn't address or compensate for on the price. The rudder was water logged and was loaded with blisters. So I moved on but for where I am in life it was a decent choice. I can't cross oceans while being a caregiver to aging and ill parents. I will hopefully get there someday and will evaluate my options at that time.

Let us know how you like the 410. They look quite comfortable. And for what it's worth I have yet to be on or hear of a comfortable boat for the real lumpy 6+' days. I don't think it exists.
SC
Old 17-03-2013, 08:53   #356

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
hey.......I like my 430........its fast, easy to handle and easy to upgrade and the wife loves all the cabins......

So was that the wife or the one of the upgrades in the photo?
Old 17-03-2013, 09:11   #357
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post

So was that the wife or the one of the upgrades in the photo?
Ahh photo #2 is the new autohelm?????....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 17-03-2013, 16:20   #358

I just looked at a 450 Hunter (passage?).

Kind of ugly in terms of classic sailing lines, but it was designed for massive interior space and comfort. It had a large center cockpit which was comfortable in the wind and rain with a full canvas enclosure.

I have no ideal how it would sail - it was somewhat beastly in size - but for a liveaboard monohull it was unusually spacious and naturally lit.

I like the Hunters for liveaboard. I don't know why they get knocked as much as they do, but I find them attractive and comfortable.
Old 18-03-2013, 04:29   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
My brother bought a 46 hunter. He ran on a bar on a falling tide and ended up laying in its side. Afterwards the joinery was so messed up you could stick a finger through a few places. I suspect that a couple of the glue joints that hold the liner to the hull failed. We counted 12 leaks during a hard rain at tabernacle hatches and somewhere from cockpit. When he went to change stinky head hoses he found out it required cutting numerous holes in the liner. The boat creaks and flexes in 1-2' seas at anchor. It is roomy and comfortable and looks great inside. Sails upwind well but not so hot downwind. with the small keel area and limited angle of the boom accidental gybes are common. The boat is at its best at the dock as a floating condo as long as its not raining
Uh oh, BS Alert. Steve, the mismatches in the joinery were never there until I had to remove the counters and steps/engine cover below the companionway to work on the port side of the engine. I'd say the mismatch is more due to my reassembly and one of these days I'll fix it. Hasn't bothered me enough to tackle it yet. 12 leaks? I know of three and the only one that would be work to fix is the drip at the front of the companionway hatch. I changed all the head hoses except the one vent hose, no cutting and no smell anymore. Creaks and flexes? I've heard some creaking when we were hammering through some pretty big seas but I've also had her in 20 ft seas and she plowed through it and got us home safe. I've sailed that boat over 9000 miles in the last 4 years and she hasn't ever left us stranded due to any design flaw of the boat. She sails downwind just fine with the spinnaker up and if I'm worried about the boom coming across, well a preventer isn't difficult to use. I LOVE the boat and am very glad I bought her. She's an
02 466. Plus guess what Steve, she backs into a slip just fine.... LOL
Old 18-03-2013, 10:31   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Ahh photo #2 is the new autohelm?????....
Please post your source. I want one.
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter