Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44   #316

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Fishsail18: One nice feature of the 37.5 Hunters of that era is they came with an anodized toerail that helped protect the topsides when docking. Seems like a simple thing, but being able to pivot around, or slide along a piling when current or wind has the boat pinned could be handy. Several members of the hunterowners.com forum have commented that the rubber rub rail Hunter used to replace the aluminum toe rails is hard to keep clean, can peel off when bumping a piling and is a pita to replace, etc. I think adding the stainless insert on the newer boats helped the rub rail damage issue a lot. The previous owner (and USCG captain) of our marina was a large Hunter dealer. Her personal boat was a 37.5 that she took thru the Bahamas and Abacos many times. She had many upgrades done to the boat before cruisng it and the only negative thing I remember her saying was she wished the cockpit was bigger. I guess the point is that she could have chosen any model Hunter and her choice was the 37.5. Good Luck with your search.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:57   #317

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Don, nicely put. I cannot understand how people can generalise so much and it proves their ignorance. When was 'in mast furling' EVER a Hunter thing?? I've seen many without, including a 1994 40.5 that I viewed recently. Also, had a top opening fridge, Also has LOADS of handholds, Also had an L shaped galley, so easy to wedge in, Also, had a very sturdy hand rail in front of the cooker that you could easily clip a harness onto if required.

Whats so bad with in mast anyway? I know many, ahem, 'proper sailors' say that in mast is a no-no but explain WHY they are so popular then? As far as I know, all boats sold with them have a conventional option, so it's the buyers that are choosing it. I have a neighbour here that owns a nice 10 year old Bene 40cc with it and he swears by it, in 10 years extensive Med' cruising, he's never had a problem and just loves it.

The main problem with the in mast systems jamming is caused by bad maintainance and poor handling of the sail when stowing. Blame the user, not the device.

To me, this is like Auto vs Manual in a car. Sure a manual gives you better control and performance but a great deal of customers (especialy in the US) choose a more expensive Auto for the ease of use they provide.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:54   #318

Don

Some advise - do not ask questions to which you do not want answers.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:12   #319
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Complaining that a boat didn't come with a galley harness or lee cloths is like complaining it didn't come with radar or a spinnaker. You want that stuff, you can either install it yourself, or ask the dealer to including in the commissioning.

Likewise, Hunter boats don't come with a cockpit enclosures. That's not even a factory option. If, on a Hunter like on any other boat, you see a cockpit enclosure, that's because the owner got a canvass shop to build one custom for that boat.

If anything is being proven here, it's that Hunter bashing is every bit as mindless as any other form of production boat bashing.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13   #320
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Let's leave the personal attackes out of it please fellows.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:50   #321
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

funney thing about Hunters is that i never see any .We have been cruising now for two and a half years, have done over 14000 nm visited 9 countries ,over 120 anchorages all thru Australia, P.N.G ,Indo,West Papua, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand ,Chagos, Rodriquiz and Mauritius where we are now . I have seen some yachts big,small and in between . I have seen a fair amount of Bene's and a few Bavaria's {but none past 10s } .We met a guy at Chagos on a Wharram 22 on route to Mauritius when the trades had set in .... nice guy but madness ! .Anyway my point is we have never seen a Hunter ..not one {excluding a few Sydney marinas} wonder why?
Old 11-06-2011, 13:52   #322

Boat: Hunter 22, Ranger 22, Hobie 16, Club 420, Laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
If you want to find fault with a boat you will even if its only the stove. The Hunter's are fine never owned one not sure if I ever will but can guarantee I will not knock one back if its the right boat right price.
oh man, don't get me started on my hunter's stove. Stupid single alcohol burning stove. What was that company thinking? WHERE ARE THE HANDHOLDS??? I can't sail without handholds. What's that hun? make some? out of what? Rope? CANNOT be done.
Old 11-06-2011, 16:10   #323

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabarracuda View Post
oh man, don't get me started on my hunter's stove. Stupid single alcohol burning stove. What was that company thinking? WHERE ARE THE HANDHOLDS??? I can't sail without handholds. What's that hun? make some? out of what? Rope? CANNOT be done.
I have never seen a Hunter with an Alcohol stove must be an antique. Should get it valued maybe worth millions. Are the sails hand stitched embroided as well, wow ring the Maritime museum they might be interested
Old 13-06-2011, 09:34   #324

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

ok, so I think we can all agree to disagree?? and that's fine, maybe we should drop the subject and move on to more productive things. I read the reviews on the Hunter owners forum and was supprised how happy the owners were with the boats, very few complaints, True I don't think they were world cruisers like many of you out there. But either am I.
I am a customer service Manager for a boat builder and we have a web site with a forum, Anyone that has an issue has no problem letting us all know about the problems they have. , It seems to me that most of the complaints are coming from non hunter owners? I will do my research and pick the boat best for me, Thanks to all for yur input. Have a great week..
Old 13-06-2011, 10:27   #325

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
ok, so I think we can all agree to disagree?? and that's fine, maybe we should drop the subject and move on to more productive things. I read the reviews on the Hunter owners forum and was supprised how happy the owners were with the boats, very few complaints, True I don't think they were world cruisers like many of you out there. But either am I.
I am a customer service Manager for a boat builder and we have a web site with a forum, Anyone that has an issue has no problem letting us all know about the problems they have. , It seems to me that most of the complaints are coming from non hunter owners? I will do my research and pick the boat best for me, Thanks to all for yur input. Have a great week..
I think you are wrong on one count but quite correct on the other:

It would seem there are no more "world" cruisers here as are there. In fact, from my observation, I believe there may be more green water cruisers on the SBO (the parent site for many different boat brands) site than anywhere else.

The comment with which I would strongly agree is that all the criticisms come from folks who are non-Hunter owners. Either they think criticism makes them sound knowledgeable or rationalizes their choice in boats. Regardless, if H owners had complaints, we'd see them here as well as there.

Morale (metaphor) of the story - people tend to think their car is better than other car(s).
Old 13-06-2011, 10:47   #326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I think you are wrong on one count but quite correct on the other:

It would seem there are no more "world" cruisers here as are there. In fact, from my observation, I believe there may be more green water cruisers on the SBO (the parent site for many different boat brands) site than anywhere else.

The comment with which I would strongly agree is that all the criticisms come from folks who are non-Hunter owners. Either they think criticism makes them sound knowledgeable or rationalizes their choice in boats. Regardless, if H owners had complaints, we'd see them here as well as there.

Morale (metaphor) of the story - people tend to think their car is better than other car(s).
It's not rational to expect the owners to be the critics, either. Firstly, to admit problems with the boat you chose, you first have to admit you made a poor choice. Nobody wants to do that. Secondly, you may want to sell that boat someday, and publicly running it down is not the best strategy for bucking up its resale value.

Admittedly, it's just as likely that the non-owners are doing the bad mouthing out of pride, arrogance, envy whatever. Or, it could just be that they're giving their honest opinion.

But to assume that one is any more objective than the other is nonsense.

This goes for Hunter, or anything else.
Old 13-06-2011, 11:40   #327

It is equally true that it is nonsense to assume anyone who does not own and have substantial experience with a specific boat brand can speak knowledgeably about it, perhaps more so. The objectivity with which owners state their comments on SBO appears to be quite apparent evidenced by the negative comments and criticisms they volunteer in those reviews. My point is I would place a lot more credibility in owners comments and criticisms much more than some of the internet experts so abundant here.
Old 13-06-2011, 11:48   #328

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

S/V Illusion seems to be implying that you can't discern shoddy construction and poor equipment/design by looking at it or watching it "work." I disagree.
Old 13-06-2011, 11:53   #329
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Firstly, to admit problems with the boat you chose, you first have to admit you made a poor choice. Nobody wants to do that. .
Americans are the most litigious society in world history. If Hunter people thought they were ripped off they would be bleating the blazes out of Hunter... armed with Lawyers, books and secretaries at the ready.

American consumers COMPLAIN long and loud when ripped off.

As they well should.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 13-06-2011, 12:35   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
S/V Illusion seems to be implying that you can't discern shoddy construction and poor equipment/design by looking at it or watching it "work." I disagree.
re: the ubiquitous internet expert - case in point
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter