Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 10:00   #271
Registered User
 
Capn Morgan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South East Asia
Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Posts: 381
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
This thread was part of my research! Along with reading various owner reviews, various surveys, blogs of people out cruising on Hunters, reviewing build construction videos of Hunters, searching the inetrnet for every Hunter blashing thread out there, and talking with various Hunter owners.
Don, a friend of mine is quite keen on buying a 10 year old, 46 foot Hunter, what should we be looking for?
__________________

__________________
Capn Morgan
'If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run...'
Capn Morgan is offline  
Old 28-05-2011, 10:30   #272
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,217
Images: 2
pirate Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Don, a friend of mine is quite keen on buying a 10 year old, 46 foot Hunter, what should we be looking for?
A ten year old fortysix ft Hunter would be my best guess....
Sorry... sometimes its irresistable..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 28-05-2011, 12:43   #273
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Ok, I just went to the Port Credit dealer show here in Toronto. Had a stroll around on a new 45 DS Hunter, all I have to say is that the older Hunters were better built. Just a few things I noted. The boat was on the hard so i got a pretty good look at the hull. The starboard aft quarter of the hull just below the deck joint was wavy , im not talking about just a little but I really couldn't miss it as I approached the boat. Also got in the boat and found all lot of the wood to be trimmed with a cheap plastic edging , and the was right by the companion way , right beside the steps, A little water there and you have YUCK! and it will get wet all the time . On the positive note the floorboards were real wood and about an inch thick .

I remember the boats in the early to mid 90's being much better, in particular the first generation, Passage 42.

Anybody agree?

Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 28-05-2011, 17:56   #274
Registered User
 
Capn Morgan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South East Asia
Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Posts: 381
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A ten year old fortysix ft Hunter would be my best guess....
Sorry... sometimes its irresistable..
You are right, I left the ball bouncing there, someone had to kick it to the back of the net.
__________________
Capn Morgan
'If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run...'
Capn Morgan is offline  
Old 28-05-2011, 19:49   #275
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon
Ok, I just went to the Port Credit dealer show here in Toronto. Had a stroll around on a new 45 DS Hunter, all I have to say is that the older Hunters were better built. Just a few things I noted. The boat was on the hard so i got a pretty good look at the hull. The starboard aft quarter of the hull just below the deck joint was wavy , im not talking about just a little but I really couldn't miss it as I approached the boat. Also got in the boat and found all lot of the wood to be trimmed with a cheap plastic edging , and the was right by the companion way , right beside the steps, A little water there and you have YUCK! and it will get wet all the time . On the positive note the floorboards were real wood and about an inch thick .

I remember the boats in the early to mid 90's being much better, in particular the first generation, Passage 42.

Anybody agree?

Regards
Yeah. We went on a newer Hunter 45CC on our dock and we were not impressed. It looked (trying hard to a different word & can't) cheap. Some features were nice but others made me wonder WHAT they were thinking. We would NEVER trade our Passage 2000 (built in 99) 450 CC for it. Ours is heavy (34000 lbs without genset), with full main (who came up with fractional rigs?) and old style fridge & freezer (lean in upside down to reach bottom kind). It is a tough boat built well. Don't really know what the problem is today- cost too much to build them or trying to compete with other modern features? What gives?
__________________
Sailor g is offline  
Old 28-05-2011, 20:22   #276
Senior Cruiser
 
reiner's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Boat: 39ft Challenger and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Posts: 266
Images: 6
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

We are looking for a bigger boat and I think I be looking at something at least 10 years old or older. Very disappointing the whole game now. It feels like you have a choice between looking cool or sailing well and safe.
I'm old enough not to care what people think and rather sail something that is fun and I don't have to worry if it gets a bit choppy that bits fall off.
__________________
reiner is offline  
Old 28-05-2011, 20:55   #277
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
We are looking for a bigger boat and I think I be looking at something at least 10 years old or older. Very disappointing the whole game now. It feels like you have a choice between looking cool or sailing well and safe.
I'm old enough not to care what people think and rather sail something that is fun and I don't have to worry if it gets a bit choppy that bits fall off.
Reminds me of that saying when buying anything. Of the 3 factors ... Good, Cheap, and Fast ...you can only get two out of three.
__________________
Doodles is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 16:05   #278
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans or Wahoo
Boat: Hunter 42
Posts: 45
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

We've cruised on a 40 ft Hunter Legend and are now in the Bahamas on a 42 ft Hunter Passage. As the wimpy one of the two of us, if there was a problem I'd be complaining. Of course, my lovely Captain takes good care of me and the boat.

I firmly believe that even southern bells can have fun sailing a Hunter.
__________________
wahoo40 is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 16:29   #279
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
you mean like this incredibly well thought out beauty?

Edge Motor Sailer
They've done it! They've made a boat that will bring the boating world together. Now there's a boat we can all scorn!
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 17:06   #280
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
They've done it! They've made a boat that will bring the boating world together. Now there's a boat we can all scorn!
I have to confess, for a second there I did have a sudden attraction to it - maybe it was the speed
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 17:52   #281
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I have to confess, for a second there I did have a sudden attraction to it - maybe it was the speed
Just once I'd like to go ripping through an anchorage with the sails up and the motor screaming. Now that would turn heads
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 17:57   #282
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Yeha there hummingway...and the stereo blastin AC/DC!
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 18:08   #283
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yeha there hummingway...and the stereo blastin AC/DC!
You mean something like this ....
__________________
Doodles is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 18:22   #284
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You mean something like this ....
YEEEAAHHH!!!!
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline  
Old 30-05-2011, 18:51   #285
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea
Posts: 35
Images: 1
Thumbs up Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Hi All I taught at a sailing school in SF Bay... We specialized and sold Hunters. The SC added a bunch of lead to the keel to add stability for the students/charterers. With the added ballast, the boats sailed great in the extreme conditions of SF Bay. I also became one of the first instructors to teach catamaran sailing... Ended up sailing our Manta Sail Cat from Annapolis to Honduras including all the good spots in between... Bahamas, Cuba, Yucatan, Belize, Guatemala, Bay Islands, Honduras, Etc...

To net it out... The Hunters are wonderful day/WE sailors. Cats are for cruising!! Please visit Tethys-Society.ORG

Gene
__________________

__________________
Sailor-Gene is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sudden Wind Gusts Thenaz007 Multihull Sailboats 40 19-07-2015 08:36
Genset - sudden jump in oil pressure? Beausoleil Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 08-05-2009 11:17
Pirate Hunters - Reality TV show Scottie2 Off Topic Forum 6 15-04-2009 19:25
Sudden Trouble CharlieCobra Challenges 31 15-12-2008 09:35



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.