Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 17:16   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Stupid Is as Stupid Does

Well: All i can say is that fishing with a long line and lure while sailing is great, but, when your crew mate is having a nap on the fly bridge and not able to remind you when you turn on the engine to bring in the line, well, it is so true, "stupid is as stupid does"

After finding the most perfect spot to anchor for the night i walked back and saw the Cuban YO YO hanging off the cleat with three feet of line, not 200, thinking I hope a big ass fish took the whole lot! But oh no, a quick swim and I new where the rest of the line went! So, pulled most of the line off the prop with a mask and snorkel but realized how bad the situation was. Got dark and had to wait till morning.
Well over coffee at sun up with only a goat laughing at me from a cliff I moved the boat to a shallower area over sand thinking that if I dropped something at least I could get it back. I had purchased a Sea Breath unit from Canada and I can tell you it saved my butt. It took many dives and long periods underwater to clear the prop. I ended taking the prop right off to make sure the seal wasn't screwed. Needless to say the system worked great and I had lots of air. I do not have any relationship with this company at all but am so glad I bought the unit. 90 minutes to correct my error get the prop back on, and we were underway! Don't leave port without one!
I have yet to catch anything other than my prop so any experts out there please share you knowledge!
Thanks
smcauley440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:48   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Gump would be proud
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 15:36   #3

So true! The only problem was that I didn't have a box of chocolates!
Old 25-10-2010, 15:47   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Looks like a nice unit...I plan on getting a long hose for my scuba tanks to do bacsily the same thing and looking into a tank compressor for the boat but it is an option...I just think for the money its a little limited on maneuvering ability ( distance from the boat ) for serious diving is all.

Yes I know they are expensive but when I'm ready I will place adds for a used one...maybe some ones selling a boat with one equipped will sell it separately as seldom dose a boats value go up with one installed.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:02   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Looks like the same thing as Air Line by J-Sink is selling: Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah

for US$1095 whereas the Sea Breathe is shown as US$1395, Brownie's unit comes in at US$1900.

I personally have the Air Line by J-Sink Long Hose outfit 100ft version: Diver Gear | Alternative Dive Gear Scuba | The Air Line Hookah by J. Sink

which is really a normal scuba system with a 100 ft hose put between the 1st stage and 2nd stage mouthpiece unit. Costs US$176
However, I have to have normal scuba tanks and get them refilled which can be a pain in some places.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:13   #6

Hey Stillraining: Pretty good figure for a Senior! Your secret please!

Well I bought the dual version and just used one pump and doubled my hose up so I could get down to 80 feet which is plenty deep enough for me. Anything else and I would want a tank for sure! I bought the unit for the whole snorkel dive thing with my wife, who does not dive, tried but cant so far! She loves to swim and snorkel so I was thinking in shallow areas we could just get down a few feet at a time and maybe she could do it with no pressure. The cool thing about the unit is there is always air coming to it. If you don't inhale it just bleeds off a release valve at the back. I managed to take it all the way to Greece and like I said, it saved my but because of the line problem. We were in the middle of nowhere and help would have cost a bundle!
Old 25-10-2010, 16:24   #7

I must say that the security at the airports were all over the pump mechanism and did every conceivable test on it but at the end it was cleared in checked baggage not cary on! I did not travel with a battery though just to clarify!
Old 25-10-2010, 19:09   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcauley440 View Post
. . . Well I bought the dual version and just used one pump and doubled my hose up so I could get down to 80 feet which is plenty deep enough for me. . . .
?? Please clarify the above statement - you connected the Sea Breathe hoses together, end to end - and - used the unit to dive to 80 feet below the surface of the water? You actually did this?
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:54   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcauley440 View Post

Well I bought the dual version and just used one pump and doubled my hose up so I could get down to 80 feet which is plenty deep enough for me. Anything else and I would want a tank for sure! I bought the unit for the whole snorkel dive thing with my wife, who does not dive, tried but cant so far! She loves to swim and snorkel so I was thinking in shallow areas we could just get down a few feet at a time and maybe she could do it with no pressure. The cool thing about the unit is there is always air coming to it. If you don't inhale it just bleeds off a release valve at the back. I managed to take it all the way to Greece and like I said, it saved my but because of the line problem. We were in the middle of nowhere and help would have cost a bundle!
Well I'm no senior yet.....but the secret was to marry a younger woman...and yes its recent..I snuck that shot this summer...

Wow 80 feet is impressive alright...someone else said 100 as well.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 05:37   #10

Right on Stillraining!
Osirissail: Yes you could. I have the 230D model and run one pump and attach the two hoses together to go deeper than 40 feet. To clarify, I have only gone down 50 feet for ten minutes but no issues at all! You can go deeper though! There is a reserve air bag that fills with air so even if the pump fails there is plenty of air to get to the surface. I have a 44 foot long cat so I also put the two together when cleaning the water line and hull. Simple to use and easy to store! All I can say is that is works and I will always keep one on board!
Old 28-10-2010, 22:15   #11

Hey, you had the right equipment to FIX the problem..
Good one smcauley440
Saltwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 00:19   #12

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
A never used "Diver Dan" hull cleaning outfit was included in the sale of my boat. It's still in storage and I haven't seen it yet. Googled it and found nothing. Anyone know about these?
Old 18-03-2011, 02:00   #13

Re: Stupid Is as Stupid Does

markspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 02:52   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Stupid Is as Stupid Does

I hope those compressors are oil free and suitable for use as air breathing equipment. The UK has very strict rules about air quality from compressors and quite rightly too.

After 25 years of diving I will take the clyinder and regulator option instead. Indeed I keep a spare set on board just incase.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote