Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2004, 08:12   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
stuck on a sand bar

We left Acadia Michican in July 2003 and I was so happy to be going on our sailing vacation that I just stopped thinking. I have no idea why my mind quit (brain cramp?) but it did. As I cleared the chanel I looked to the north and turned the boat. The Arcadia chanel only goes out into the lake maybe 100 feet. Most of the harbors that I go to have chanels that go out several hundred feet. Before I knew it I had my 8' draft boat in 6' of water. For an hour or so I had 3 power boats trying to pull us off... Nothing! Then the Coast Guard came. They had gotten a call that I was taking on water and sinking! They were pretty excited to say the least. After they saw that I was not in any real danger they got premission from headquarters to pull me off. I really think the guys were getting into it, they just seemed to be having fun with the whole situation. They sent a 1.25" line over and started pulling but it stretched more than they liked so they sent a 2". So they now have the 47' boat on front and thier twin engine RIB pushing and off we came. The Coast Guard guy's were great. For the next week while we were going from port to port I would get asked if I was the guy that ran aground in Arcadia. I would just say "why would you ask that"? Everyone knew, and had a good laugh on me. And I learned from it so it worked out as well as it could have.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote