Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2009, 10:52   #1

Stuart, FL to Nassau

Could use advice on best route, where to clear Bahamas immigration etc. Any tips would be welcome
dsmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 11:06   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Why not go straight to Nassau? Stuart to Gun Cay Cut, then across the banks through Northwest passage into Nassau. Clear customs/immigration in Nassau. We did this from Miami last year and plan to do the same this year. Might be easier with the gulfstream for you to go a bit more south before crossing.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 11:06   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Stuart is a bit far north for a direct shot to Nassau. You would have to fight the stream towards Freeport and then go through the NW Providence Channel north of the Berrys and then on to Nassau. A bit under 200 miles, I think.

I prefer leaving from Miami, to North Rock (just north of Bimini) across the Bank past the NW Channel light into the Tongue of the Ocean and then on to Nassau. About 150 miles again from memory so I might be wrong on mileage. This trip usually takes us about 30 odd hours.

You can clear in at any Marina in Nassau or if you wish to anchor dink to Customs etc. at the cruise ship dock.

There is no "best" route. A lot depends on the weather and how the stream is acting.
Old 20-11-2009, 11:38   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Oops, I was thinking Ft. Lauderdale, not Stuart. Yes, Stuart is definitely too far North for my suggestion.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:32   #5

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: Stuart, FL to Nassau

Hi Vasco,
Is the light that I have a red square around the "NW Channel light" that your talking about? It's at Position: 025 28.1034 N 078 09.6068 W. Just trying to figure the safe way through from the Great Bahama Bank to the Northwest Passage and then onto Nassau.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Stuart is a bit far north for a direct shot to Nassau. You would have to fight the stream towards Freeport and then go through the NW Providence Channel north of the Berrys and then on to Nassau. A bit under 200 miles, I think.

I prefer leaving from Miami, to North Rock (just north of Bimini) across the Bank past the NW Channel light into the Tongue of the Ocean and then on to Nassau. About 150 miles again from memory so I might be wrong on mileage. This trip usually takes us about 30 odd hours.

You can clear in at any Marina in Nassau or if you wish to anchor dink to Customs etc. at the cruise ship dock.

There is no "best" route. A lot depends on the weather and how the stream is acting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.04-02-2012 21.22.25.png
Views:	208
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	36946  

Tags
nassau