Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2009, 22:23   #1

Storm Chasing

I am a young healthy 22 year old, I live on rather small lake along the tennessee river, it is about a mile or wide and however long the river is. As lake sailors that sail on small lakes will tell you, the wind is crazy. It never seems to come from one direction at once, so you end up getting really good at adjusting sails and direction as the wind constantly changes.

To my story

My brother and I noticed there was a storm coming, so being bright individuals we decided to take my little laser II out on the lake. The wind was great for about fifteen minutes as the storm got closer and closer. The wind was getting strong enough and lightning close enough to make us start considering returning to the cove we dock at. As we make this decision the full brunt of the storm hit us. The first gust was just enough for us to quickly decide to lower the sails and make for whatever shelter we could. Just as we got both the sails down, a second huge gust simply blew us right over, throwing us both headlong into the water.

Unfortunately for my mast we capsized in shallow water (15- 20 ft) and the mast was not able to simply roll around and up the other side. The wind and waves drove the mast deep into the mud. After a little while we heard a loud "Bang" which I later learned was my mast breaking in two.

After it all was over and we got the mast pulled out of the water we were able to see that the mast stuck a good 5-6 feet and the mud, and broke just a few feet under the surface of the mud.

I never want to capzise again! But...it sure was fun.
BeBalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 04:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Sort of a costly cepsizing. Dinghy sailing is a blast and once in a while you will get a stick in the mud. The wind and waves made this one turn out costly.

The beach and racing cats around here have to be cautious about that as well.

Glad you had fun.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 04:41   #3
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBalu View Post
I never want to capzise again! But...it sure was fun.
It's all part of the dinghy sailing experience. As a kid learning to sail I cleaned more mud off the heads of sails than I care to remember and was on perpetual lawn and garden detail to earn the money to repair all the stuff I broke.
Try to get to the centerboard and stand on it faster next time. If the mast starts to sink on you, send your brother out to try and hold it level with the water or stuff a life jacket under it while you stand on the board.

Have fun!

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 18:00   #4

Always fun

I always have fun when I am sailing. The only time I tend to not have fun is during holiday weekends and the smallish lake I am on tends to attract jet-skis and ski boats all over the place. For some reason they think it is fun to circle me and take pictures, guess they didn't know a boat could move without a motor.
BeBalu is offline   Reply With Quote