Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 12:49   #1

Boat: 1988 Ericson 34
Starboard red ..... Port green

I had a steering malfunction on my 1988 Ericson 34, and needed to replace a sheave pin and the two steering cables that come out of the Edson pedestal and go to the quadrant on the rudder post. This was reasonably straightforward once I figured out how to free some ancient rotten aluminum bolts. So I was pretty pleased with myself, and asked my wife to come with me for a sea trial. As soon as I backed out of the slip, I knew something was wrong - the boat was not steering properly. It soon became clear that the rudder was moving in the wrong direction. But I still motoring backwards in the narrow marina fairway! Somehow I got out into clear water without hitting anything, shifted into forward gear and paused to calm my nerves. Then I inched my way back into the slip, muttering to myself "boat to the right, wheel to the left....". The problem was that I had neglected to cross the cables inside the pedestal. It's actually pretty obvious once you look closely at how everything is aligned in there, but I was being careless when taking it all apart an putting it back together. So that's my embarrassing story. Still makes me feel dumb.
Teranodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 15:51   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Starboard red ..... Port green

Easy thing to do, mate.

You know how in the States, we say, "red, right returning?" The buoyage system in Australia is reversed. Now, Jim and I say, "red, right, reaving!" true.
Old 21-05-2017, 15:53   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Easy thing to do, mate.

You know how in the States, we say, "red, right returning?" The buoyage system in Australia is reversed. Now, Jim and I say, "red, right, reaving!" true.
Hehe, nah, the states has it reversed...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 17:13   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Yeah, makes it hard for us here, working on hydraulics. Is the red hose the port (light) or the starboard (buoy)?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 17:22   #5

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The buoyage system in Australia is reversed. .
"The IALA Maritime Buoyage System is divided into two regions. Region A includes part of the Atlantic Ocean, Africa, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Australia and part of the Pacific Ocean. Region B includes North and South America."

linky

Interesting to note that Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, although a US territory and commonwealth respectively, are considered to be in region A.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 18:47   #6

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Just lucky you weren't heading out the back way from Roche...could have been a jarring experience. :-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 01:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
"The IALA Maritime Buoyage System is divided into two regions. Region A includes part of the Atlantic Ocean, Africa, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Australia and part of the Pacific Ocean. Region B includes North and South America."

linky

Interesting to note that Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, although a US territory and commonwealth respectively, are considered to be in region A.
Philippines, Japan and Korea are also "Region B".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 08:18   #8

Boat: Pearson

No worries capt. you figured it outand fixed it. that why they put erasers on pencils....😊
Old 22-05-2017, 09:51   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Right red returning works well in the states but watch out for those pesky ocean inlets on ICW when they switch from 'returning' means southbound. I got caught on that one going from southbound on the waterway to the Atlantic where "returning" means shore bound. Realized it about 10 seconds after I got stuck.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 14:14   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Right red returning works well in the states but watch out for those pesky ocean inlets on ICW when they switch from 'returning' means southbound. I got caught on that one going from southbound on the waterway to the Atlantic where "returning" means shore bound. Realized it about 10 seconds after I got stuck.
Inland waterways can lead to confusion in both "A" and "B" regions. For instance, there's a spot in the 'main channel" going through the Broadwater region south of Moreton Bay where the markings change sex abruptly, and for no obvious reason. There's a long series of 'red on the right" beacons (heading south), then a single cardinal mark, and then it switches to 'green on the right". I suspect that there is a big ding in the bud bank around there... I know we contributed to it once! Of course, if one is paying close attention to the chart, it is obvious, but.......

Jim
Old 22-05-2017, 14:24   #11

People have made the same mistake when rerigging airplane controls and the result is very different! So, be glad you were in a sailboat where things happen more slowly.
wb2hac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:55   #12

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I found it confusing cruising up the River Murray in Australia when I came across a few bridges that had red & green 'indicators' fixed on the bridge itself (overhead & on pylons).
Out of curiosity I immediately turned around & found them reversed.
Seems indicators in rivers and channels are dependent on upstream or downstream?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 16:15   #13

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hehe, nah, the states has it reversed...
Unclear to me why no one has said it: Since Oz is "down under," things are up-side-down. Unless you are there. It is a mirror image of the way things are [up over?] and ought to be, so the confusion is normal, sort of like vinyl record had a Side A and a Side B, which also explains the navigation areas as created by international bureaucrats, depending upon how one spins things. It also explains why the most obvious way of installing steering cable can cause it to work in reverse. If their earlier parent country had driven on the other side, everything would be properly reversed.
Old 22-05-2017, 16:52   #14

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

I took off in a new to me plane years ago. The plane, unknown to me, had just had its controls worked on and the ailerons had been cross connected, ie hooked up in reverse. I realized what had happened before I dug a wing tip into the runway, but it was a near thing.

Paying attention to details and taking nothing for granted is a good way to live longer.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 17:23   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
I took off in a new to me plane years ago. The plane, unknown to me, had just had its controls worked on and the ailerons had been cross connected, ie hooked up in reverse. I realized what had happened before I dug a wing tip into the runway, but it was a near thing.

Paying attention to details and taking nothing for granted is a good way to live longer.
I'm not a pilot, but I thought that part of the SOP before taking off was to waggle all the controls and look out the window to see that they were functioning properly... Not so??

Jim