Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 12:00   #121

Boat: Aloha 34
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We earn our money via a mutual agreement between an employer (the hospital) and an employee (us). We perform work for the hospital, then the hospital pays us for the work performed. People are helped as a result of the mutual agreement.

The OP is attempting to extort money from complete strangers in a foreign country...... BIG difference. If you can't see or understand that, you must be as morally deficient. IMHO
Did you work at a hospital in the US? In the US, a hospital expects to be paid for services provided even if the person was incapacitated and never agreed to the services provided to them by hospital staff 'strangers', if they have the means to do so (and too often even if they don't). Some view it as extortion of those on their death beds...others view it as a necessary incentive to provide critical aid when the person may not be present or able to accept or decline.

The fact that you fail to notice the similarities between your own industry and a marine salvage situation, and then use the comparison to claim some sort of moral high ground is somewhat amusing.
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 12:16   #122
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
Did you work at a hospital in the US? In the US, a hospital expects to be paid for services provided even if the person was incapacitated and never agreed to the services provided to them by hospital staff 'strangers', if they have the means to do so (and too often even if they don't). Some view it as extortion of those on their death beds...others view it as a necessary incentive to provide critical aid when the person may not be present or able to accept or decline.

The fact that you fail to notice the similarities between your own industry and a marine salvage situation, and then use the comparison to claim some sort of moral high ground is somewhat amusing.
What the hell is your problem? Is your ass still burning from a nurse giving you a shot back when you were a kid?

Or are you just one of those nuts that think all medical people should work for free?

The moral equivalent to your dumbass argument would be if a nurse, doctor or hospital were to withhold medication or treatment from a sick or dying patient unless payment was made first. Which isn't done anywhere in America... It's against the law and has been for many years.

Even someone with a limited intellect should know that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 12:47   #123

Quote:
Or are you just one of those nuts that think all medical people should work for free?
It's getting offtopic but for a start "The United States healthcare system is the most expensive in the world, but when it comes to health outcomes, it performs worse than 11 other similar industrialized nations" [link: U.S. Healthcare: Most Expensive and Worst Performing - The Atlantic]

You seem to be offended by mentioning extortion...
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 13:04   #124
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
It's getting offtopic but for a start "The United States healthcare system is the most expensive in the world, but when it comes to health outcomes, it performs worse than 11 other similar industrialized nations" [link: U.S. Healthcare: Most Expensive and Worst Performing - The Atlantic]

You seem to be offended by mentioning extortion...
Yeah, your post certainly is off topic and way out there in outer space.

I didn't create, design nor do I agree with the way the US system is run. I just happen to work as a nurse six months of the year in it.

You have a complaint..... Address it to President Obama. c/o The White House, Washington, DC.

It's his mess, Obama spent the past seven years creating an even bigger mess.
Old 25-05-2016, 13:39   #125

Ok, sorry for getting offtopic. Nursing is very valuable and working with marine stuff too. Just wished you were a bit friendlier towards the OP's experience/situation. - It's getting late here, good night :-)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 14:06   #126
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah but in the world of Comrade Bernie, it does.
See only the poor are looked upon as virtuous.
The rich must have gotten that way by screwing the poor.
So we must take from the evil rich and give to the poor.
Having 3 different babby daddys isn't their fault and how dare you for even suggesting it is. In fact, you need to be sent to white privileged training school to learn just how bad you are. It's only funny because it is true in Amerika today.
Rich,

Why do you think I have one foot still in the poo and one foot here in Sardinia? Hopefully, in a few years I'll just be coming back to the poo for brief visits.

How about you? Can't you sell your stuff from just about anywhere these days? When I'm here in Italy, all I do is read the front pages of a few newspapers each day for a laugh, I'm not surrounded by all the political crap and people obsessed with political B.S. From a distance, it's amusing.

In a week or two, I'll be anchored right next to some of the wealthiest people in the world enjoying the same view.... only from the cheap seats whilst working on my tan. The angry masses at home will be worried and feeling "the burn" while I spend my time trying to avoid getting sun burned.

You should come over for a visit sometime, there s always room.

Ken
Old 25-05-2016, 14:15   #127
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Ok, sorry for getting offtopic. It's getting late here, good night :-)
Good night. :-)

Ken
Old 25-05-2016, 14:24   #128
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I spent last June in Italy and didn't miss a beat with tech support emails or sales.
One of the best memories of the trip (besides the food) was sitting on the steps of the Roman Colosseum and taking an order for a water maker. It was old technology and new all rolled into one and the client and I were laughing about it.

As soon as the kids are out of school....swoosh....I'm outta the chaos....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 14:27   #129

Quote:
What the hell is your problem? Is your ass still burning from a nurse giving you a shot back when you were a kid?

The moral equivalent to your dumbass argument would be if a nurse, doctor or hospital were to withhold medication or treatment from a sick or dying patient unless payment was made first. Which isn't done anywhere in America... It's against the law and has been for many years.

Even someone with a limited intellect should know that.
On the contrary. I feel that both hospitals and salvagers provide a valuable service to those that may not be able to accept or decline their help. The fact that they then expect to be paid for their efforts is understandable.

For you to praise your own work as honorable and then deride BA for expecting to be compensated for his and label it extortion is blatant hypocricy.

Your rebuttal to my analogy is flawed. The equivalent to a hospital denying treatment before payment would be a salvager leaving the boat adrift until a contract could be worked out. In which time the patient could die or the boat could sink or be lost at sea. Which is why its perfectly reasonable to provide the service and then expect to be compensated later.

Perhaps your cognitive dissonance could be solved by realizing that its not an insult to compare the morality of your work to BA's salvage, and instead realize that both types of aid are in the best interest of everyone involved instead of labeling it extortion.
Old 25-05-2016, 14:34   #130
cruiser

Quote:
On the contrary. I feel that both hospitals and salvagers provide a valuable service to those that may not be able to accept or decline their help. The fact that they then expect to be paid for their efforts is understandable.

For you to praise your own work as honorable and then deride BA for expecting to be compensated for his and label it extortion is blatant hypocricy.

Your rebuttal to my analogy is flawed. The equivalent to a hospital denying treatment before payment would be a salvager leaving the boat adrift until a contract could be worked out. In which time the patient could die or the boat could sink or be lost at sea. Which is why its perfectly reasonable to provide the service and then expect to be compensated later.

Perhaps your cognitive dissonance could be solved by realizing that its not an insult to compare the morality of your work to BA's salvage, and instead realize that both types of aid are in the best interest of everyone involved instead of labeling it extortion.
I see that your Mommy helped you with some big words this time.

Goodbye.
Old 25-05-2016, 14:49   #131

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
You keep harping on about BA's "costs" or lack thereof. Typically in a marine salvage situation the fee paid would reflect the merit of the service provided, the value of the vessel, compensation for rescuers time and effort as well as any costs incurred. Marine salvage laws were not developed merely to recoup costs but also to provide an incentive for a rescuer to provide assistance and remove a hazard to navigation.

Maybe some here would argue that the merit, value of vessel, costs, and value of BA's time are all $0 (since its been stated in this thread that hes just a leftwing bum looking for a handout )

You're correct that the club had the right to decline any offer. Maybe if the police werent expecting payment for an undisclosed amount as well they would have paid the seemingly resonable salvage fee BA was asking for. Otherwise hed make a nice profit on the sale!
I asked the question once prior to that post. It's hardly 'harping on', but in any case, you will never succeed in any salvage claim without 'cost' being attributed. It doesn't have to be financial, but there has to be a claim for costs or there is no claim. And that's just the least there needs to be. When it really comes down to it, he has NO demand for compensation without lodging a claim. Which he has not done. He can't do that with out indicating his costs. It's as simple as that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 15:11   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I asked the question once prior to that post. It's hardly 'harping on', but in any case, you will never succeed in any salvage claim without 'cost' being attributed. It doesn't have to be financial, but there has to be a claim for costs or there is no claim. And that's just the least there needs to be. When it really comes down to it, he has NO demand for compensation without lodging a claim. Which he has not done. He can't do that with out indicating his costs. It's as simple as that.
I dont know how St. Lucias legal system functions and I dont want to find out. I think we could both agree that a legal pursuit of the issue probably wouldnt be successful for BA and is probably something he should avoid.

However i do wish to counter the opinion that BA is some sort of moral degenerate for expecting payment for his work and isnt off base for asking for compensation. But we all know that the legal resolution of situation rarely lines up with what we might consider the 'right' or moral resolution.
Old 25-05-2016, 15:12   #133
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I spent last June in Italy and didn't miss a beat with tech support emails or sales.
One of the best memories of the trip (besides the food) was sitting on the steps of the Roman Colosseum and taking an order for a water maker. It was old technology and new all rolled into one and the client and I were laughing about it.

As soon as the kids are out of school....swoosh....I'm outta the chaos....
We'd make a great team, I could handle public relations and customer service, and leave you to deal with the technical stuff.
Old 25-05-2016, 15:19   #134

Quote:
I see that your Mommy helped you with some big words this time.

Goodbye.

We'd make a great team, I could handle public relations and customer service, and leave you to deal with the technical stuff.
Somehow i get the impression that public relations might not be your strong point.
Old 25-05-2016, 15:25   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Somehow i get the impression that public relations might not be your strong point.
Goodnight.

Tags
rescue