Gordon Gekko

transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 19:42   #77

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Whoa guys , how on earth did this thread get so side tracked
A few political handgrenades get lobbed by a couple of members, then its all on like a barfight!

Reminds me of a scene in transpotting where Begbie lobs a pint glass, then starts a fight while claiming the high moral ground. Because he is bored and is one very sick puppy.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vc3E7UkIzt4/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 24-05-2016, 20:10   #78

Boat: Aloha 34

Interesting that many people in this thread seem to have implied BA is lacking in morality or a bum looking for a handout, for expecting a $200 reward for rescueing an unattended capsized boat 2 miles ofshore at night ( and removing a hazard to navigation) His expectations seem pretty conservative when compared to typical marine salvage customs. Salvage considerations aside, a tow company would expect at least as much even if the owner was present and the boat wasnt capsized.

I wonder how those people in this thread would have reacted if the salvager was a company owned boat rather than an individual whos admitted to being short on cash.
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 22:08   #79

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
Interesting that many people in this thread seem to have implied BA is lacking in morality or a bum looking for a handout, for expecting a $200 reward for rescueing an unattended capsized boat 2 miles ofshore at night ( and removing a hazard to navigation) His expectations seem pretty conservative when compared to typical marine salvage customs. Salvage considerations aside, a tow company would expect at least as much even if the owner was present and the boat wasnt capsized.

I wonder how those people in this thread would have reacted if the salvager was a company owned boat rather than an individual whos admitted to being short on cash.
Well, I don't mind admitting I was one of 'those people'

A tow company would expect the towage and costs associated with the tow and fair enough. That's how businesses work. And the owner, would have taken into consideration that this $3000 boat is not worth paying $2000 out on having it towed in and say, 'na you keep it then'. The towage company would then say, fair enough, we will keep it and sell it and get what we can for it. Which surprise surprise, it seems is what they said to the OP.

The difference is the OP then comes on to a public, widely circulated forum and winges about how hard done by he was because his demand for a fee was not met. A fee which is hardly reflective of even his costs. Were there any costs?

Bottom line is, he had a right to ask for costs, though it seems to me he wasn't actually asking for costs, but more a case of 'I'm short on cash, give me $200 and you can have your boat back'. As someone else commented it sounds more on the extortion side. The owners had a right to decide those costs were too much and decline to pay them. END OF STORY.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 23:43   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
At least BA is out their sailing around the world on a small simple modest boat, with a limited budget. Good on him.
We're also out sailing around the world, presently enjoying the Med. The BIG difference between us and the OP, is that we don't go trolling around in foreign countries looking to hold other people's property for ransom in order to make some quick cash.

My wife and I earn our money ahead of time helping other less fortunate people by working as nurses.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 23:54   #81

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
(snip)
My wife and I earn our money ahead of time helping other less fortunate people by working as nurses.
I guess you expect to be payed when you help people as a nurse?
Old 25-05-2016, 00:13   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I guess you expect to be payed when you help people as a nurse?
We earn our money via a mutual agreement between an employer (the hospital) and an employee (us). We perform work for the hospital, then the hospital pays us for the work performed. People are helped as a result of the mutual agreement.

The OP is attempting to extort money from complete strangers in a foreign country...... BIG difference. If you can't see or understand that, you must be as morally deficient. IMHO
Old 25-05-2016, 00:18   #83

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
We earn our money via a mutual agreement between an employer (the hospital) and an employee (us). We work for the hospital, then the hospital pays us for the work performed.

The OP is attempting to extort money from complete strangers in a foreign country...... BIG difference. If you can't see or understand that, you must be as morally deficient. IMHO
Then way make the statement
Quote:
. My wife and I earn our money ahead of time helping other less fortunate people by working as nurses.
Old 25-05-2016, 00:38   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Then [why] make the statement .
I believe I clarified my point in the previous post. The (less fortunate people) are helped as a result of the mutual agreement between us and our employers.

I know a few of you just want to find something wrong with us evil capitalist working nurses, and somehow bestow some warped sort of sainthood upon the island extortionist in order to make some bizarre immoral point.

Most CF readers can see through to the truth.
Old 25-05-2016, 00:50   #85

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I believe I clarified my point in the previous post. The (less fortunate people) are helped as a result of the mutual agreement between us and our employers.

I know a few of you just want to find something wrong with us evil capitalist working nurses, and somehow bestow some warped sort of sainthood upon the island extortionist in order to make some bizarre immoral point.

Most can see through to the truth.
Not all, I've worked hard and earned well in a psuedo-capatilistic society. I just don't,',t pretend it was helping less fortunate people that resulted in my gaining assets. .
Old 25-05-2016, 01:03   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not all, I've worked hard and earned well in a psuedo-capatilistic society. I just don't,',t pretend it was helping less fortunate people that resulted in my gaining assets. .
Yeah right....

The next time I'm up to my knees in other people's feces working a 16 hour shift at the nuthouse.... I'll just keep telling myself.....

According to Paul L...... This is all "pretend."
Old 25-05-2016, 01:09   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Gosh.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:24   #88

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Whoa guys , how on earth did this thread get so side tracked
there was an original track?
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:30   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
there was an original track?
Yep, there was. The OP was visiting a foreign country, found a small laser sailboat owned by rich capitalists, "rescued it" with the intent to extort some ransom from the rightful owners by first sinking the rig in a secret spot, and not telling the local police where it was until he was paid the ransom by the rich capitalist resort owner. He then received more than he bargained for from the police and some CF members.

I think I got everything right.
Old 25-05-2016, 02:02   #90

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Yep, there was. The OP was visiting a foreign country, found a small laser sailboat owned by rich capitalists, "rescued it" with the intent to extort some ransom from the rightful owners by first sinking the rig in a secret spot, and not telling the local police where it was until he was paid the ransom by the rich capitalist resort owner. He then received more than he bargained for from the police and some CF members.

I think I got everything right.
no that's the spin that was considered sidetracked.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue