Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 20:39   #76
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,019
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Who was it that said Greed is Good?
Gordon Gekko

__________________

__________________
transmitterdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 20:42   #77
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Whoa guys , how on earth did this thread get so side tracked
A few political handgrenades get lobbed by a couple of members, then its all on like a barfight!

Reminds me of a scene in transpotting where Begbie lobs a pint glass, then starts a fight while claiming the high moral ground. Because he is bored and is one very sick puppy.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vc3E7UkIzt4/maxresdefault.jpg
__________________

__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 21:10   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Boat: Aloha 34
Posts: 124
Images: 2
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Interesting that many people in this thread seem to have implied BA is lacking in morality or a bum looking for a handout, for expecting a $200 reward for rescueing an unattended capsized boat 2 miles ofshore at night ( and removing a hazard to navigation) His expectations seem pretty conservative when compared to typical marine salvage customs. Salvage considerations aside, a tow company would expect at least as much even if the owner was present and the boat wasnt capsized.

I wonder how those people in this thread would have reacted if the salvager was a company owned boat rather than an individual whos admitted to being short on cash.
__________________
redpointist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 23:08   #79
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
Interesting that many people in this thread seem to have implied BA is lacking in morality or a bum looking for a handout, for expecting a $200 reward for rescueing an unattended capsized boat 2 miles ofshore at night ( and removing a hazard to navigation) His expectations seem pretty conservative when compared to typical marine salvage customs. Salvage considerations aside, a tow company would expect at least as much even if the owner was present and the boat wasnt capsized.

I wonder how those people in this thread would have reacted if the salvager was a company owned boat rather than an individual whos admitted to being short on cash.
Well, I don't mind admitting I was one of 'those people'

A tow company would expect the towage and costs associated with the tow and fair enough. That's how businesses work. And the owner, would have taken into consideration that this $3000 boat is not worth paying $2000 out on having it towed in and say, 'na you keep it then'. The towage company would then say, fair enough, we will keep it and sell it and get what we can for it. Which surprise surprise, it seems is what they said to the OP.

The difference is the OP then comes on to a public, widely circulated forum and winges about how hard done by he was because his demand for a fee was not met. A fee which is hardly reflective of even his costs. Were there any costs?

Bottom line is, he had a right to ask for costs, though it seems to me he wasn't actually asking for costs, but more a case of 'I'm short on cash, give me $200 and you can have your boat back'. As someone else commented it sounds more on the extortion side. The owners had a right to decide those costs were too much and decline to pay them. END OF STORY.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 00:43   #80
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
At least BA is out their sailing around the world on a small simple modest boat, with a limited budget. Good on him.
We're also out sailing around the world, presently enjoying the Med. The BIG difference between us and the OP, is that we don't go trolling around in foreign countries looking to hold other people's property for ransom in order to make some quick cash.

My wife and I earn our money ahead of time helping other less fortunate people by working as nurses.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 00:54   #81
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
(snip)
My wife and I earn our money ahead of time helping other less fortunate people by working as nurses.
I guess you expect to be payed when you help people as a nurse?
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:13   #82
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I guess you expect to be payed when you help people as a nurse?
We earn our money via a mutual agreement between an employer (the hospital) and an employee (us). We perform work for the hospital, then the hospital pays us for the work performed. People are helped as a result of the mutual agreement.

The OP is attempting to extort money from complete strangers in a foreign country...... BIG difference. If you can't see or understand that, you must be as morally deficient. IMHO
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:18   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,569
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We earn our money via a mutual agreement between an employer (the hospital) and an employee (us). We work for the hospital, then the hospital pays us for the work performed.

The OP is attempting to extort money from complete strangers in a foreign country...... BIG difference. If you can't see or understand that, you must be as morally deficient. IMHO
Then way make the statement
Quote:
. My wife and I earn our money ahead of time helping other less fortunate people by working as nurses.
.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:38   #84
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Then [why] make the statement .
I believe I clarified my point in the previous post. The (less fortunate people) are helped as a result of the mutual agreement between us and our employers.

I know a few of you just want to find something wrong with us evil capitalist working nurses, and somehow bestow some warped sort of sainthood upon the island extortionist in order to make some bizarre immoral point.

Most CF readers can see through to the truth.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:50   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,569
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe I clarified my point in the previous post. The (less fortunate people) are helped as a result of the mutual agreement between us and our employers.

I know a few of you just want to find something wrong with us evil capitalist working nurses, and somehow bestow some warped sort of sainthood upon the island extortionist in order to make some bizarre immoral point.

Most can see through to the truth.
Not all, I've worked hard and earned well in a psuedo-capatilistic society. I just don't,',t pretend it was helping less fortunate people that resulted in my gaining assets. .
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 02:03   #86
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not all, I've worked hard and earned well in a psuedo-capatilistic society. I just don't,',t pretend it was helping less fortunate people that resulted in my gaining assets. .
Yeah right....

The next time I'm up to my knees in other people's feces working a 16 hour shift at the nuthouse.... I'll just keep telling myself.....

According to Paul L...... This is all "pretend."
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 02:09   #87
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Gosh.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 02:24   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Germany
Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Posts: 311
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Whoa guys , how on earth did this thread get so side tracked
there was an original track?
__________________
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 02:30   #89
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
there was an original track?
Yep, there was. The OP was visiting a foreign country, found a small laser sailboat owned by rich capitalists, "rescued it" with the intent to extort some ransom from the rightful owners by first sinking the rig in a secret spot, and not telling the local police where it was until he was paid the ransom by the rich capitalist resort owner. He then received more than he bargained for from the police and some CF members.

I think I got everything right.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 03:02   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Germany
Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Posts: 311
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yep, there was. The OP was visiting a foreign country, found a small laser sailboat owned by rich capitalists, "rescued it" with the intent to extort some ransom from the rightful owners by first sinking the rig in a secret spot, and not telling the local police where it was until he was paid the ransom by the rich capitalist resort owner. He then received more than he bargained for from the police and some CF members.

I think I got everything right.
no that's the spin that was considered sidetracked.
__________________

__________________
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rescue

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EPIRB's are NOT dead! / EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds!! ka4wja Marine Electronics 66 01-07-2016 22:32
Anchoring with better than better........ foggysail Anchoring & Mooring 9 19-07-2012 08:10
Are There Any Ship Accidents That Rescue Teams Were Not Effective To Rescue People ? lora20035 Challenges 3 31-03-2012 11:20



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.