Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 21:06   #31
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

You know when your gut tells you not to say it...but you know it needs to be said....well here it goes.

Having cruised and lived abroad now for 9yrs, my kids and I have rescued literally dozens of dinghys, skiffs, surf boards, wake boards, paddle boards and the biggest prize was a Catalina 42 that had pulled anchor and was floating out to sea while the owners were away at the bar. In not a single rescue did I ever think of asking for a reward and when it was offered to me, I flatly refused.

As I read through your selfish all about me posts, I'm wincing at what you are saying and your entitlement "Ugly American Attitude" Can you step out of your world for a moment and see how childish you sound? If either of my kids had this attitude I would have to sit them down and have a serious talk to them about basic morality and the responsibility of being at sea. Not the responsibility they have to themselves, but to others!

I sincerely suggest that you use this incident to step back and take stock of yourself and do some serious introspection.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 21:31   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado Springs, Co but the boat is in Corpus Christi, TX
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Posts: 369
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Excellent responce 3rd day. When we meet, drinks are on me.
BA, if we meet, I'll make sure to keep my hand on wallet and my eyes on your hands.
__________________

__________________
SSgtPitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 21:38   #33
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
I've noticed over the decades, that all the places I went to were great places and the people were friendly and helpful. There wasn't much tourism, at first in these areas. But as the rich tourist started coming and the high end marinas and resorts started coming in the crime rose and the friendliness faded away. I also noticed that the main local populous got poorer with the influx of rich people and the local cost of living rose too. I noticed that most of the business owners were non natives. I wonder what went wrong with those nasty locals? we should push them out into uninhabitable places and starve them and jail them, hell maybe even kill a few. lets beat them into submission. then we could come in and erect big buildings and pollute the waters and hack down all the lush vegetation. And when it becomes the place we've left so we could relax we can go to the next beautiful place and do it again.

It's happened all over the world and all through history. We call it progress. But is it really? Progress of what...or whom? Hmmm, how dare those little buggers, they should bow and serve us, don't they know who we are, when we come into their home and tell them how we want it to be? "ah this is paradise, but it needs this." " these ignorant fools don't even have air conditioning." " hop to it get my drink." " tile those floors and when its done I want them swept through out the day."

Yeah, don't go back to those places. Go somewhere else. Hopefully those places can recover and become the places I used to visit and make friends. Places that don't have the same drinks and foods and amenities of those far off places they've never been to and have only vaguely heard of. AAhhh, paradise and it doesn't need anything else. I left the place I grew up, because they destroyed it. I went to the other places and found paradise till the other unconscious people showed up and brought all the stuff that destroyed the place I grew up in. If you can't live without all that stuff, go to Florida or some place like that. The US has already killed off and imprisoned all the natives. Air-conditioning, underpaid slaves to wait on you hand and foot, every food or drink imaginable, from around the world, armed guards at every corner, AAhh, parrotdice.

In all my travels through out the world, in all my life. I've been robed once and had stuff stolen twice and what I learned wasn't where not to go, but how to behave in someone else's home. respect isn't something you put out for those poor pitiful people. It first starts in your thinking. If you truly think of others as equals, first, the respect will come out on its own. think of others as you would want to be thought of, treat others as you would want to be treated, Forgive others as you would want to be forgiven. KARMA.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Lance
I have no idea what you are talking about. These places you romanticize are full of trees and sand.

Trees. Don't get me started. They have these branch things that grow out in all durections. Leaves that fall and mess up the floor. So disorganized in shape and form I can't understand how anyone can find trees attractive to look at.

Sand. Now that is another ugly worthless piece of nature. You have wet feet and it sticks to you. You walk on it and for days later you are finding grains of sand in your boat or home. It gets in your hair, your clothes and your shoes. Nasty stuff is this sand stuff.

Perfect solution. Bulldozers tar and concrete. That's right, big Cat 10's and ship loads of tar and concrete. Give me the right equipment and materials and in less than a month I'll have these island boys see how good life is without the messy sand and ugly trees.

Can someone tell me what the words of that 70's song meant. You know, the one that says..... lala you don't know what you've got till it's gone, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot... lalala.

For the life of me I never did understand that song. So what's so wrong with parking lots I ask.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 22:57   #34
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. These places you romanticize are full of trees and sand.

Trees. Don't get me started. They have these branch things that grow out in all durections. Leaves that fall and mess up the floor. So disorganized in shape and form I can't understand how anyone can find trees attractive to look at.

Sand. Now that is another ugly worthless piece of nature. You have wet feet and it sticks to you. You walk on it and for days later you are finding grains of sand in your boat or home. It gets in your hair, your clothes and your shoes. Nasty stuff is this sand stuff.

Perfect solution. Bulldozers tar and concrete. That's right, big Cat 10's and ship loads of tar and concrete. Give me the right equipment and materials and in less than a month I'll have these island boys see how good life is without the messy sand and ugly trees.

Can someone tell me what the words of that 70's song meant. You know, the one that says..... lala you don't know what you've got till it's gone, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot... lalala.

For the life of me I never did understand that song. So what's so wrong with parking lots I ask.
Ah yes, memories!
Another tune springs to mind, high ho high ho, a trolling we will go, high ho ....
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 01:00   #35
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Interesting thread, read it the other day and felt empathy for the OP.

How things have turned around

No one asked the OP to rescue it, so no point complaining about the risk taken

When you start talking about the boats value and even worse, how wealthy the club is, then the word that springs to mind is "vulture".
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 01:20   #36
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You know when your gut tells you not to say it...but you know it needs to be said....well here it goes.

Having cruised and lived abroad now for 9yrs, my kids and I have rescued literally dozens of dinghys, skiffs, surf boards, wake boards, paddle boards and the biggest prize was a Catalina 42 that had pulled anchor and was floating out to sea while the owners were away at the bar. In not a single rescue did I ever think of asking for a reward and when it was offered to me, I flatly refused.

As I read through your selfish all about me posts, I'm wincing at what you are saying and your entitlement "Ugly American Attitude" Can you step out of your world for a moment and see how childish you sound? If either of my kids had this attitude I would have to sit them down and have a serious talk to them about basic morality and the responsibility of being at sea. Not the responsibility they have to themselves, but to others!

I sincerely suggest that you use this incident to step back and take stock of yourself and do some serious introspection.
Rich new respect for you man
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 01:41   #37
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,138
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You know when your gut tells you not to say it...but you know it needs to be said....well here it goes.

Having cruised and lived abroad now for 9yrs, my kids and I have rescued literally dozens of dinghys, skiffs, surf boards, wake boards, paddle boards and the biggest prize was a Catalina 42 that had pulled anchor and was floating out to sea while the owners were away at the bar. In not a single rescue did I ever think of asking for a reward and when it was offered to me, I flatly refused.

As I read through your selfish all about me posts, I'm wincing at what you are saying and your entitlement "Ugly American Attitude" Can you step out of your world for a moment and see how childish you sound? If either of my kids had this attitude I would have to sit them down and have a serious talk to them about basic morality and the responsibility of being at sea. Not the responsibility they have to themselves, but to others!

I sincerely suggest that you use this incident to step back and take stock of yourself and do some serious introspection.
I recently dropped my passport with a large sum of money in it in a local restaurant in Seville. I had visited 2 places that night.

When I went to the first one, the guy there looked in the drawers and it was not there. Later I went to the 2nd... It seems, unknown to me, he was also the owner of the 1st tapas restaurant and the staff had given it to him. As I had become a frequent visitor to both, he had recognised my photo.

When I walked in the door, he immediately reached in his back pocket and handed me the passport with the money intact....I offered him money and he refused outright. He said it was his pleasure to help.

My passport and money had been through at least 4 pairs of hands and not once did they think of removing money or keeping.

I was lucky. But also thankful that some decency and morality remains in places.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 03:29   #38
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You know when your gut tells you not to say it...but you know it needs to be said....well here it goes.

Having cruised and lived abroad now for 9yrs, my kids and I have rescued literally dozens of dinghys, skiffs, surf boards, wake boards, paddle boards and the biggest prize was a Catalina 42 that had pulled anchor and was floating out to sea while the owners were away at the bar. In not a single rescue did I ever think of asking for a reward and when it was offered to me, I flatly refused.

As I read through your selfish all about me posts, I'm wincing at what you are saying and your entitlement "Ugly American Attitude" Can you step out of your world for a moment and see how childish you sound? If either of my kids had this attitude I would have to sit them down and have a serious talk to them about basic morality and the responsibility of being at sea. Not the responsibility they have to themselves, but to others!

I sincerely suggest that you use this incident to step back and take stock of yourself and do some serious introspection.
I've been reading about the dumpster diving OP's exploits for some time.

About time someone told him some home truths. Well said!
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 03:59   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

To the OP,

"You reap what you sow."
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 04:13   #40
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Now, to complete the picture, we need a local island person to post here to complain about some visiting cruiser stealing his house garden mangoes.

PS I suspect the OP is either a clever troll or...hmmm...how should I put it - less then a clever person.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:19   #41
Registered User
 
ryon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 588
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Sounds like the OP has found his karmic paradise.
__________________
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 06:02   #42
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

You lot are a hard bunch!

Sometimes stuff doesn't work out the way you thought it would. Disputes get out of hand and bad feelings arise. I can understand why BA is peeved, though I dont think its been handled well by all sides. But most disputes aren't, and things look different from the inside.

Hopefully BA will resolve it in a friendly way, and start enjoying being in the carribean.

I appreciate all the work BA has put into openCPN plugins over the years for us to use for free.
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:42   #43
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ah yes, memories!
Another tune springs to mind, high ho high ho, a trolling we will go, high ho ....
Not trolling. Just injecting some sarcastic humor. Thought a bit of light relief was in order considering the pathetic depressing nature of a morally challenged cruiser on display.

So I will say what I really think. He is typical of the leftwing immoral people who think everyone owes them something. They use extortion as a way of life. It's built into their DNA. Take (extort) money from the rich so that I can have more without working for it, mentality.

I could go on because I see these people everytime I visit South America. They have been so brainwashed that they have no idea of ethical or correct behavior. They think if you have something then you propably got it from taking from the poor. So in their minds they think it's ok to take from those with money. This is no less brought out in the OP saying the rich boat club could afford to give him more money.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:55   #44
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
He is typical of the leftwing immoral people who think everyone owes them something. They use extortion as a way of life. It's built into their DNA. Take (extort) money from the rich so that I can have more without working for it, mentality.

I could go on because I see these people everytime I visit South America. They have been so brainwashed that they have no idea of ethical or correct behavior. They think if you have something then you propably got it from taking from the poor.
I just have to look out my kitchen window in Massachusetts to see plenty of that mentality..... A-hole with EBT in one hand 24 pack of beer in the other, free Obama cell phone in one pocket, blue Mass food stamp card in the other.

Sorry, but I feel a different kinda "burn." This jerk just adds free mangos to the profile. The police should have turned him around and given him a swift kick in the ass. IMHO
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:55   #45
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Now, to complete the picture, we need a local island person to post here to complain about some visiting cruiser stealing his house garden mangoes.

PS I suspect the OP is either a clever troll or...hmmm...how should I put it - less then a clever person.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
You lot are a hard bunch!

Sometimes stuff doesn't work out the way you thought it would. Disputes get out of hand and bad feelings arise. I can understand why BA is peeved, though I dont think its been handled well by all sides. But most disputes aren't, and things look different from the inside.

Hopefully BA will resolve it in a friendly way, and start enjoying being in the carribean.

I appreciate all the work BA has put into openCPN plugins over the years for us to use for free.
Just so. He's no dummy. He's found the wrong audience here. I'd bet he's sorry he didn't take the $20. I'd be beating sheets outta there before the po-lice get irritated. "I fought the law and the law won."
__________________

__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rescue

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EPIRB's are NOT dead! / EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds!! ka4wja Marine Electronics 66 01-07-2016 22:32
Anchoring with better than better........ foggysail Anchoring & Mooring 9 19-07-2012 08:10
Are There Any Ship Accidents That Rescue Teams Were Not Effective To Rescue People ? lora20035 Challenges 3 31-03-2012 11:20



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.