Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 20:06   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

You know when your gut tells you not to say it...but you know it needs to be said....well here it goes.

Having cruised and lived abroad now for 9yrs, my kids and I have rescued literally dozens of dinghys, skiffs, surf boards, wake boards, paddle boards and the biggest prize was a Catalina 42 that had pulled anchor and was floating out to sea while the owners were away at the bar. In not a single rescue did I ever think of asking for a reward and when it was offered to me, I flatly refused.

As I read through your selfish all about me posts, I'm wincing at what you are saying and your entitlement "Ugly American Attitude" Can you step out of your world for a moment and see how childish you sound? If either of my kids had this attitude I would have to sit them down and have a serious talk to them about basic morality and the responsibility of being at sea. Not the responsibility they have to themselves, but to others!

I sincerely suggest that you use this incident to step back and take stock of yourself and do some serious introspection.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 20:31   #32

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Excellent responce 3rd day. When we meet, drinks are on me.
BA, if we meet, I'll make sure to keep my hand on wallet and my eyes on your hands.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 20:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
I've noticed over the decades, that all the places I went to were great places and the people were friendly and helpful. There wasn't much tourism, at first in these areas. But as the rich tourist started coming and the high end marinas and resorts started coming in the crime rose and the friendliness faded away. I also noticed that the main local populous got poorer with the influx of rich people and the local cost of living rose too. I noticed that most of the business owners were non natives. I wonder what went wrong with those nasty locals? we should push them out into uninhabitable places and starve them and jail them, hell maybe even kill a few. lets beat them into submission. then we could come in and erect big buildings and pollute the waters and hack down all the lush vegetation. And when it becomes the place we've left so we could relax we can go to the next beautiful place and do it again.

It's happened all over the world and all through history. We call it progress. But is it really? Progress of what...or whom? Hmmm, how dare those little buggers, they should bow and serve us, don't they know who we are, when we come into their home and tell them how we want it to be? "ah this is paradise, but it needs this." " these ignorant fools don't even have air conditioning." " hop to it get my drink." " tile those floors and when its done I want them swept through out the day."

Yeah, don't go back to those places. Go somewhere else. Hopefully those places can recover and become the places I used to visit and make friends. Places that don't have the same drinks and foods and amenities of those far off places they've never been to and have only vaguely heard of. AAhhh, paradise and it doesn't need anything else. I left the place I grew up, because they destroyed it. I went to the other places and found paradise till the other unconscious people showed up and brought all the stuff that destroyed the place I grew up in. If you can't live without all that stuff, go to Florida or some place like that. The US has already killed off and imprisoned all the natives. Air-conditioning, underpaid slaves to wait on you hand and foot, every food or drink imaginable, from around the world, armed guards at every corner, AAhh, parrotdice.

In all my travels through out the world, in all my life. I've been robed once and had stuff stolen twice and what I learned wasn't where not to go, but how to behave in someone else's home. respect isn't something you put out for those poor pitiful people. It first starts in your thinking. If you truly think of others as equals, first, the respect will come out on its own. think of others as you would want to be thought of, treat others as you would want to be treated, Forgive others as you would want to be forgiven. KARMA.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Lance
I have no idea what you are talking about. These places you romanticize are full of trees and sand.

Trees. Don't get me started. They have these branch things that grow out in all durections. Leaves that fall and mess up the floor. So disorganized in shape and form I can't understand how anyone can find trees attractive to look at.

Sand. Now that is another ugly worthless piece of nature. You have wet feet and it sticks to you. You walk on it and for days later you are finding grains of sand in your boat or home. It gets in your hair, your clothes and your shoes. Nasty stuff is this sand stuff.

Perfect solution. Bulldozers tar and concrete. That's right, big Cat 10's and ship loads of tar and concrete. Give me the right equipment and materials and in less than a month I'll have these island boys see how good life is without the messy sand and ugly trees.

Can someone tell me what the words of that 70's song meant. You know, the one that says..... lala you don't know what you've got till it's gone, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot... lalala.

For the life of me I never did understand that song. So what's so wrong with parking lots I ask.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 21:57   #34

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. These places you romanticize are full of trees and sand.

Trees. Don't get me started. They have these branch things that grow out in all durections. Leaves that fall and mess up the floor. So disorganized in shape and form I can't understand how anyone can find trees attractive to look at.

Sand. Now that is another ugly worthless piece of nature. You have wet feet and it sticks to you. You walk on it and for days later you are finding grains of sand in your boat or home. It gets in your hair, your clothes and your shoes. Nasty stuff is this sand stuff.

Perfect solution. Bulldozers tar and concrete. That's right, big Cat 10's and ship loads of tar and concrete. Give me the right equipment and materials and in less than a month I'll have these island boys see how good life is without the messy sand and ugly trees.

Can someone tell me what the words of that 70's song meant. You know, the one that says..... lala you don't know what you've got till it's gone, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot... lalala.

For the life of me I never did understand that song. So what's so wrong with parking lots I ask.
Ah yes, memories!
Another tune springs to mind, high ho high ho, a trolling we will go, high ho ....

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 00:00   #35

Interesting thread, read it the other day and felt empathy for the OP.

How things have turned around

No one asked the OP to rescue it, so no point complaining about the risk taken

When you start talking about the boats value and even worse, how wealthy the club is, then the word that springs to mind is "vulture".
Old 24-05-2016, 00:20   #36

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You know when your gut tells you not to say it...but you know it needs to be said....well here it goes.

Having cruised and lived abroad now for 9yrs, my kids and I have rescued literally dozens of dinghys, skiffs, surf boards, wake boards, paddle boards and the biggest prize was a Catalina 42 that had pulled anchor and was floating out to sea while the owners were away at the bar. In not a single rescue did I ever think of asking for a reward and when it was offered to me, I flatly refused.

As I read through your selfish all about me posts, I'm wincing at what you are saying and your entitlement "Ugly American Attitude" Can you step out of your world for a moment and see how childish you sound? If either of my kids had this attitude I would have to sit them down and have a serious talk to them about basic morality and the responsibility of being at sea. Not the responsibility they have to themselves, but to others!

I sincerely suggest that you use this incident to step back and take stock of yourself and do some serious introspection.
Rich new respect for you man
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 00:41   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

I recently dropped my passport with a large sum of money in it in a local restaurant in Seville. I had visited 2 places that night.

When I went to the first one, the guy there looked in the drawers and it was not there. Later I went to the 2nd... It seems, unknown to me, he was also the owner of the 1st tapas restaurant and the staff had given it to him. As I had become a frequent visitor to both, he had recognised my photo.

When I walked in the door, he immediately reached in his back pocket and handed me the passport with the money intact....I offered him money and he refused outright. He said it was his pleasure to help.

My passport and money had been through at least 4 pairs of hands and not once did they think of removing money or keeping.

I was lucky. But also thankful that some decency and morality remains in places.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 02:29   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

I've been reading about the dumpster diving OP's exploits for some time.

About time someone told him some home truths. Well said!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 02:59   #39
cruiser

To the OP,

"You reap what you sow."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 03:13   #40

Now, to complete the picture, we need a local island person to post here to complain about some visiting cruiser stealing his house garden mangoes.

PS I suspect the OP is either a clever troll or...hmmm...how should I put it - less then a clever person.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 04:19   #41

Sounds like the OP has found his karmic paradise.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:02   #42

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

You lot are a hard bunch!

Sometimes stuff doesn't work out the way you thought it would. Disputes get out of hand and bad feelings arise. I can understand why BA is peeved, though I dont think its been handled well by all sides. But most disputes aren't, and things look different from the inside.

Hopefully BA will resolve it in a friendly way, and start enjoying being in the carribean.

I appreciate all the work BA has put into openCPN plugins over the years for us to use for free.
Old 24-05-2016, 07:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ah yes, memories!
Another tune springs to mind, high ho high ho, a trolling we will go, high ho ....
Not trolling. Just injecting some sarcastic humor. Thought a bit of light relief was in order considering the pathetic depressing nature of a morally challenged cruiser on display.

So I will say what I really think. He is typical of the leftwing immoral people who think everyone owes them something. They use extortion as a way of life. It's built into their DNA. Take (extort) money from the rich so that I can have more without working for it, mentality.

I could go on because I see these people everytime I visit South America. They have been so brainwashed that they have no idea of ethical or correct behavior. They think if you have something then you propably got it from taking from the poor. So in their minds they think it's ok to take from those with money. This is no less brought out in the OP saying the rich boat club could afford to give him more money.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 07:55   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
He is typical of the leftwing immoral people who think everyone owes them something. They use extortion as a way of life. It's built into their DNA. Take (extort) money from the rich so that I can have more without working for it, mentality.

I could go on because I see these people everytime I visit South America. They have been so brainwashed that they have no idea of ethical or correct behavior. They think if you have something then you propably got it from taking from the poor.
I just have to look out my kitchen window in Massachusetts to see plenty of that mentality..... A-hole with EBT in one hand 24 pack of beer in the other, free Obama cell phone in one pocket, blue Mass food stamp card in the other.

Sorry, but I feel a different kinda "burn." This jerk just adds free mangos to the profile. The police should have turned him around and given him a swift kick in the ass. IMHO
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 07:55   #45

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Now, to complete the picture, we need a local island person to post here to complain about some visiting cruiser stealing his house garden mangoes.

PS I suspect the OP is either a clever troll or...hmmm...how should I put it - less then a clever person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
You lot are a hard bunch!

Sometimes stuff doesn't work out the way you thought it would. Disputes get out of hand and bad feelings arise. I can understand why BA is peeved, though I dont think its been handled well by all sides. But most disputes aren't, and things look different from the inside.

Hopefully BA will resolve it in a friendly way, and start enjoying being in the carribean.

I appreciate all the work BA has put into openCPN plugins over the years for us to use for free.
Just so. He's no dummy. He's found the wrong audience here. I'd bet he's sorry he didn't take the $20. I'd be beating sheets outta there before the po-lice get irritated. "I fought the law and the law won."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue