Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 19:16   #16

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

I've noticed over the decades, that all the places I went to were great places and the people were friendly and helpful. There wasn't much tourism, at first in these areas. But as the rich tourist started coming and the high end marinas and resorts started coming in the crime rose and the friendliness faded away. I also noticed that the main local populous got poorer with the influx of rich people and the local cost of living rose too. I noticed that most of the business owners were non natives. I wonder what went wrong with those nasty locals? we should push them out into uninhabitable places and starve them and jail them, hell maybe even kill a few. lets beat them into submission. then we could come in and erect big buildings and pollute the waters and hack down all the lush vegetation. And when it becomes the place we've left so we could relax we can go to the next beautiful place and do it again.

It's happened all over the world and all through history. We call it progress. But is it really? Progress of what...or whom? Hmmm, how dare those little buggers, they should bow and serve us, don't they know who we are, when we come into their home and tell them how we want it to be? "ah this is paradise, but it needs this." " these ignorant fools don't even have air conditioning." " hop to it get my drink." " tile those floors and when its done I want them swept through out the day."

Yeah, don't go back to those places. Go somewhere else. Hopefully those places can recover and become the places I used to visit and make friends. Places that don't have the same drinks and foods and amenities of those far off places they've never been to and have only vaguely heard of. AAhhh, paradise and it doesn't need anything else. I left the place I grew up, because they destroyed it. I went to the other places and found paradise till the other unconscious people showed up and brought all the stuff that destroyed the place I grew up in. If you can't live without all that stuff, go to Florida or some place like that. The US has already killed off and imprisoned all the natives. Air-conditioning, underpaid slaves to wait on you hand and foot, every food or drink imaginable, from around the world, armed guards at every corner, AAhh, parrotdice.

In all my travels through out the world, in all my life. I've been robed once and had stuff stolen twice and what I learned wasn't where not to go, but how to behave in someone else's home. respect isn't something you put out for those poor pitiful people. It first starts in your thinking. If you truly think of others as equals, first, the respect will come out on its own. think of others as you would want to be thought of, treat others as you would want to be treated, Forgive others as you would want to be forgiven. KARMA.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 19:50   #17

Boat: islandpacket

Thankyou, well stated.
Old 20-05-2016, 21:13   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
I've noticed over the decades, that all the places I went to were great places and the people were friendly and helpful. There wasn't much tourism, at first in these areas. But as the rich tourist started coming and the high end marinas and resorts started coming in the crime rose and the friendliness faded away. I also noticed that the main local populous got poorer with the influx of rich people and the local cost of living rose too. I noticed that most of the business owners were non natives. I wonder what went wrong with those nasty locals? we should push them out into uninhabitable places and starve them and jail them, hell maybe even kill a few. lets beat them into submission. then we could come in and erect big buildings and pollute the waters and hack down all the lush vegetation. And when it becomes the place we've left so we could relax we can go to the next beautiful place and do it again.

It's happened all over the world and all through history. We call it progress. But is it really? Progress of what...or whom? Hmmm, how dare those little buggers, they should bow and serve us, don't they know who we are, when we come into their home and tell them how we want it to be? "ah this is paradise, but it needs this." " these ignorant fools don't even have air conditioning." " hop to it get my drink." " tile those floors and when its done I want them swept through out the day."

Yeah, don't go back to those places. Go somewhere else. Hopefully those places can recover and become the places I used to visit and make friends. Places that don't have the same drinks and foods and amenities of those far off places they've never been to and have only vaguely heard of. AAhhh, paradise and it doesn't need anything else. I left the place I grew up, because they destroyed it. I went to the other places and found paradise till the other unconscious people showed up and brought all the stuff that destroyed the place I grew up in. If you can't live without all that stuff, go to Florida or some place like that. The US has already killed off and imprisoned all the natives. Air-conditioning, underpaid slaves to wait on you hand and foot, every food or drink imaginable, from around the world, armed guards at every corner, AAhh, parrotdice.

In all my travels through out the world, in all my life. I've been robed once and had stuff stolen twice and what I learned wasn't where not to go, but how to behave in someone else's home. respect isn't something you put out for those poor pitiful people. It first starts in your thinking. If you truly think of others as equals, first, the respect will come out on its own. think of others as you would want to be thought of, treat others as you would want to be treated, Forgive others as you would want to be forgiven. KARMA.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Lance
Well stated blunt but well stated just the same.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:30   #19

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

New developments today. It has turned into the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I "the good" found the yacht club where the boat was from. They told me well done and that by rights the boat belongs to me. I explained that I sunk the rig in case someone tried to take the boat from me, and that I wanted some money for it since I have no cash at the moment, I am scrounging the island picking fruit to eat.

The police "the bad" told the yacht club they had just found it drifting, but they know the police are lying because it would have been well out to sea by the next day, and obviously since I have the rig it wouldn't make much sense.

For the rig, the yacht club "the ugly" offered me $50EC ($20 US) which is an insult for something worth $3500. I broke my vhf antenna, and cut my leg rescuing this thing. I tell them I sell it on ebay for $300 or use it on my own sailing dingy. They can buy a new rig for $1000.

Now the yacht club have to negotiate with the police to get the boat. The police are holding it for payment; they aren't returning it for free.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
New developments today. It has turned into the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I "the good" found the yacht club where the boat was from. They told me well done and that by rights the boat belongs to me. I explained that I sunk the rig in case someone tried to take the boat from me, and that I wanted some money for it since I have no cash at the moment, I am scrounging the island picking fruit to eat.

The police "the bad" told the yacht club they had just found it drifting, but they know the police are lying because it would have been well out to sea by the next day, and obviously since I have the rig it wouldn't make much sense.

For the rig, the yacht club "the ugly" offered me $50EC ($20 US) which is an insult for something worth $3500. I broke my vhf antenna, and cut my leg rescuing this thing. I tell them I sell it on ebay for $300 or use it on my own sailing dingy. They can buy a new rig for $1000.

Now the yacht club have to negotiate with the police to get the boat. The police are holding it for payment; they aren't returning it for free.
I'm starting to suspect your the 'bad'. Yes the police are acting corruptly, but your sounding more and more greedy to me.

And the boat does not 'belong' to you. You can make a claim on salvage costs but thats about it. What did it 'cost' you to salvage it?

And what's this, 'I sunk the rig in case someone tried to take the boat from me'?
Old 22-05-2016, 16:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm starting to suspect your the 'bad'. Yes the police are acting corruptly, but your sounding more and more greedy to me.

And the boat does not 'belong' to you. You can make a claim on salvage costs but thats about it. What did it 'cost' you to salvage it?

And what's this, 'I sunk the rig in case someone tried to take the boat from me'?
If you are right, then it is best not to to rescue it, because someone with no money should risk their boat and personal injury to save something worth $3500 for someone who has plenty of money and be happy with only a $20 reward.

Mike at the yacht club said they had already written it off and he told me that by rights it belongs to me. They are overstocked and have too many boats as it is, so they don't really need this one.

I had to sink the rig to rescue the boat. The police stole the boat from me. No crime had ever been committed until they got involved. I went the next day to where the rig had sunk and got it. The police were too stupid to realize that a sailboat had a mast and sail.
Old 22-05-2016, 16:53   #22

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Last I looked you were in Asia.Did I miss a thread about your voyage?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 05:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
If you can't live without all that stuff, go to Florida or some place like that.
Don't send 'em here! We've been having exactly the problem that you describe for a long time already. Folks come from up north and immediately want it to be more like "back home." If they liked "back home" so much, why didn't they just stay there?

Oh yeah. That's right. They want it to be just like "back home," only better weather. SHEESH!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 05:54   #24

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Somtimes it's Better not to Rescue a Boat

Seriously BA, you're a resourceful guy. I'd like to hear about the trip.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 11:34   #25

The yacht club spends above $5000 per day so they don't care about the boat and offered $20 and no more for it. The guy was very rude and angry when I asked for $200. The boat costs $3500 new.

The police still have the boat, and I still have the rig.
Old 23-05-2016, 15:09   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

So the yacht club told you that you can keep the boat, but you're demanding they pay to fix it (replace the rig) and then give it to you? Or you're demanding money? I think you're reaching by blaming the yacht club.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-05-2016, 16:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The yacht club spends above $5000 per day so they don't care about the boat and offered $20 and no more for it. The guy was very rude and angry when I asked for $200. The boat costs $3500 new.

The police still have the boat, and I still have the rig.
You asked for $200 for a boat that you don't have

I asked you before, did you actually spend any money on salvaging the boat
Old 23-05-2016, 16:28   #28

When someone loses something and you find it, it doesn't stop becoming theirs and start belonging to you. The decent thing is to attempt to return it to them. If you have incurred costs while doing so, you should be able to get those costs back.

If you find someone's wallet with $500 in it, does that make it OK to demand $50 for its return because it's worth $500? Of course not.

Apparently we live in a world where many people have to have it explained to them, what decent behaviour is. Sad. It's because of people like you that destinations like this are not as friendly as they used to be.

I'm starting to think that the police were acting entirely reasonably when they took the dinghy from you. Maybe they had the idea to try and return it to the rightful owner?
Old 23-05-2016, 17:59   #29

Boat: islandpacket

I wonder if you tow in a boat you found and it then sinks with fuel spill and blocking a chanel and no one claims the boat. Who is then responsible for the costs? The last one that towed it in ?
Old 23-05-2016, 19:38   #30

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

It's not a good deed if you only did it to gain profit. I think if you study the definition, you'll find that your deed, would fall under extortion.

Greed the disease that is killing all humanity. having no money does not exempt you from the disease. it does speak of other short comings tho.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue