Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 21:56   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Some Jerkface Snapped My Oar In Two

I wonder if someone climbed through your dinghy to get to the dock, and in the process stepped/fell on your oar. The least they could do is leave a note with a #....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:18   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

minaret has it probably correct--many walk thru dinks to get to dock--is a way crowded freeway yer in there in avalon--ye know, there is ben and jerrys ice cream in ensenada, mazatlan, and i even found some in bucerias. ice cream is no excuse.

there are hospitals and clinics here in mexico--they even have mds trained in usa. go figger. there is a sharp hospital in mazatlan. catalina is for drunks and noobs. the drunks take all their dock friends and raft up or moor together. the newbies are enthralled with the place for some reason. i gave up on catalina in 1990.
btw--the international language of medicine has been english for a couple of decades now---isnt like the md isnt gonna know english.....many were trained in usa in lost angeles and other awe inspiring locales in usa.
shake drown cruise?? i did my break down cruise to mazatlan from sd. worked out great--i got to see ensenada, cedros village, cabo, mazatlan, now la cruz--was goood.. there are parts and service for boats of all kinds here in mexico -- and the work is just as good if not better than in san diego.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:27   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I'm sure that long term members of this board know the primary rule of "be nice". Some posts have been deleted that don't adhere to that primary rule.
Old 27-08-2012, 08:45   #19

Boat: Celestial 48

For a real zoo, hit Two Harbors on Buccaneer Days in October. The dinghy dock will have about 4 times as many dinghys as shown in Rebel Heart's photo. Crazy.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 09:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
For a real zoo, hit Two Harbors on Buccaneer Days in October. The dinghy dock will have about 4 times as many dinghys as shown in Rebel Heart's photo. Crazy.
Go where the party crowd goes expect to find at least a few rude, lewd and probably drunk idiots.

Used to take my ski boat to a really nice spring the feeds into a local lake. Took a couple of friends there a year or so back and found it had been discovered by the party crowd. There must have been 200 boats full of the aforementioned idiots. Last time I ever went there.

Not antisocial at all and truly enjoy hanging out with other cruisers. Just can't stand a huge mob of "boaters" where you will inevitably find a few characters that will make your day less enjoyable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 09:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
My bets are that after a year, or maybe two, cruising, you will find a way to fit a RIB with 15hp engine! Funny how things change...
Yep... might as well buy the 9 ft rib now and install davits!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 10:47   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Eric--

We're sorry to lear of your misfortune. Regrettably, while Two Harbors is an interesting place to visit, Isthmus Cove has been a Zoo-Story for a very long time. (We gave up on the place in '90!). As an alternative, consider a mooring in Cat Harbor. It's a bit of a walk--about 1/2 mile--to the "Village", but really not bad and a much nicer place to have the yacht, IMHO. Moreover, from San Diego, it's really no further than going to Isthmus Cove (about 85 miles).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 11:11   #23

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good reason to use the shore boat! We gave up on the dingy dock years ago due to crowding, theft and drunks. Much more civilized although pricey! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 11:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Good reason to use the shore boat! We gave up on the dingy dock years ago due to crowding, theft and drunks. Much more civilized although pricey! Capt Phil
I think on the weekends I'll do that for sure. During the week it's really not so bad around here, but the weekends, especially Labor Day coming up and Buccanear Days in October are such a mess. I think for that we'll definitely go to Cat Harbor.

My wife is pregnant and not able to hike her normal distances, so 3/4 mile hike (each way) to get some milk for our toddler just isn't in the cards.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 12:59   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Flat against the gunwall at the blades and ends on the forward seat, not "winged out" trying to catch boats.
Sorry your oar got damaged. Still can't see a boat running into it, doing that. The thing that came to mind was some J/O not liking the oars on the outside of the boat and taking an oar and deliberately snapping it under foot or in the slats of the dock.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 17:20   #26

Catalina is a zoo in peak summer months, and Buccaneer Days. But throughout most of Lobster Season (Oct to March) it's pretty empty. Oddly, it's even dead until mid-June! It is unusual to see more than 2-3 dinghy's at the Isthmus dock on fall and winter weekends, let alone weekdays. That's my favorite time

I treat July and August like New Years Eve and St. Pat's day at mainland bars--AMATEUR HOUR! I keep my distance until the idiots go home.

Bummer about the oar. And the overpowered 16-footer? There is a 14-foot limit at the dinghy dock!
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 17:52   #27

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I hate that this happened but your title brought a smaile to my face. i haven't heard the term jerkface in 25yrs.....too funny. Sorry for your misfortune but thank you for the laugh!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 19:34   #28

Geting Dings Getting to the Dinghy

I've been there to see many folks power through the herd to get up to the dock. It works up to a point, but after the "dinghy density" gets to a certain point, or if too many people tie up on short painters, the only sane method is to "anchor out" and climb through a few dinghies with a long painter. It can be quite a show watching the over-50-over-50 set (that's over 50 years of age and at least 50 lbs. overweight) climb through three wobbly dinghies carrying their trash bags on the way in, or their groceries and ice on the way out; but the special treat is watching the inebriated weave down the dock and attempt to climb out to their inflatables after a few Buffalo Milks. Hilarity ensues, and often there's a splash involved.

I saw one fellow tumble into three dinghies to get to his own, start his outboard, and then realize he was still attached to the dock, so had to navigate his way back to the dock, untie, and return to his own tender while managing his long slack painter, that seemed to catch on every protrusion from oar lock to outboard power arm. It was a ten-minute show. I wouldn't have wanted to wake up the next morning with his shins.
Old 27-08-2012, 19:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

people who tie up on short painters should not cry when their dingy gets trashed,caught under the dock,or hung up at low tide..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 20:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
people who tie up on short painters should not cry when their dingy gets trashed,caught under the dock,or hung up at low tide..............
What's a short painter? The posted rules at this dock specify 6'. That's not a minimum or a maximum. That's the rule.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote