Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2010, 14:23   #121
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you think you're three miles out and you can't see any other boats, you're three miles out.
will be a strong viewpoint when some offical asks you
Old 19-08-2010, 17:13   #122

Boat: Island trader, Ketch, 40.8ft, Vagabond
If you dont have a boat with a head where do you go? I try not to pump inside the line but when evey thing is full then what? Shoot the moon over the rail?
Old 19-08-2010, 17:29   #123

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
Up till a couple of months ago I would have said never. However we currently have a clogged vent line that we have been unable to clear so far. Soooooo, in order to keep the pressure from building up, we have had to pump overboard a couple of times when we didn't have access to facilities. 5 people can fill a tank in short order. Hate to do it, though.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:19   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Garrison Bight in KW, has a MANDATORY sewer line attached to the boat whenever it is dockside in the live-aboard section. So we stay pumped out most of the time.

But human waste as... um... "generated" is relatively aseptic, but goes septic very fast. If you were to pump as soon as you were done and it went overboard, there is almost no fecal coliform bacteria... But let it sit and "Brew" in the tank for a while and whoa!
Old 21-08-2010, 08:48   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Seems the issue is not just sail boats/MV's.

This is apparently starting to be an issue as cruise ships that ply the NW passage to Alaska dump their "used water"
Old 21-08-2010, 09:14   #126

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I could be wrong but according to how I was told the law interprets this matter...."A Bucket and chuck it" system does not count as natural deposit of waste.....but still is considered a holding vessel/tank..... so therefor is illegal to then toss it over board...

Only way around it is to defecate directly over the rail.....not a pretty site anywhere.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 21-08-2010, 13:07   #127

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I suppose Victoria BC doesn't qualify as a "floating city" so they're exempt...

Ayn Rand
Old 21-08-2010, 13:23   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I suppose Victoria BC doesn't qualify as a "floating city" so they're exempt...
Perhaps that is the old thing about do as I say and not do as I do?
Old 26-08-2010, 03:34   #129
CLOD

Boat: none
According to the poll the pump when in the open is catching up to the never. People must be fessing up lately :-)
Old 27-08-2010, 08:04   #130

Boat: Baba 35
Voted "Never".

However, I did get a laugh last Moorings Charter in the BVI when the nice gentleman doing the walkthrough discovered that every greywater seacock was open.

He said something to the effect of "These Open in here means Happy fish, sad bottomboys".
Old 27-08-2010, 08:28   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Environmental laws are passed by politicians who are placating the loudest constituents. Someone somewhere will put this poll out on a web site frequented by "loud constituents" and we will have another round of incredibly naive feel-good regulations enforced by police who get promotions based on their fervor.

Go vote with this in mind. Vote often. Let's try to steer those politicians into addressing the real but extremely well funded and defended villains, and not the-bucket-full-on-a-weekend boater. Otherwise those politicians will brush off the real issue with a boast that they did something about the problem. Just EXACTLY this is happening in Maryland at this moment.
Old 28-08-2010, 08:51   #132

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Environmental laws are passed by politicians who are placating the loudest constituents. Someone somewhere will put this poll out on a web site frequented by "loud constituents" and we will have another round of incredibly naive feel-good regulations enforced by police who get promotions based on their fervor.

Go vote with this in mind. Vote often. Let's try to steer those politicians into addressing the real but extremely well funded and defended villains, and not the-bucket-full-on-a-weekend boater. Otherwise those politicians will brush off the real issue with a boast that they did something about the problem. Just EXACTLY this is happening in Maryland at this moment.

I fully agree!!

FOGGY
Old 28-08-2010, 11:40   #133

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Rather than waste your time the best thing to do is to join BoatUS and support their lobbying efforts. BoatUS may be slanted towards power boats and small boats but they have an effective lobbying arm and do get some things to the attention of legislators.
Old 28-08-2010, 16:36   #134
Marine Service Provider

And the insure live aboard! Zero questions asked. According to boatUS there is no such thing as a live aboard. They don't care.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:41   #135

Got a saniloo (sewage treatment thingy installed aboard).

Part of the reason i got it was the new laws in queensland recently put into place but have since discovered that they are essentially not enforced.

Still feel alot better about just pumping straight over the side with some sort of sewage treatment device though.

And i gotta say I do agree with posters who say that we should be doing everything we can too minimize our impact, thereby ensuring the oceans we all enjoy so much stay healthy which is kinda the win.

Having said that, some people were posting about how it's difficult too find actual evidence about effect of pump outs...

http://www4.gu.edu.au:8080/adt-root/...ic/01Front.pdf

Thats a link to a summary (sure you can find the whole paper somewhere) of a study done by someone in moreton bay on fecal pollution etc etc linked too boaties. And actually the study found no significant pollution due too boats at popular anchorages and they were testing for fecal colliforms.
Closed Thread

Tags
holding tank