Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Do you ever sneak pump your holding tank overboard
never 60 34.29%
only in "emergency" than filled it that wasn't planned 16 9.14%
only at night 7 4.00%
when out in the open, but maybe not outside the limit 52 29.71%
whenever I think it's OK because no one will notice 17 9.71%
reguarly pump it overboard 29 16.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 15:31   #91
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
3 miles at at 6 knots that's a 1/2 hour. If your inland the pump outboard and marinas are around. I could see an ohh god the tank is full but mostly in the us no reason for pumping overboard while near the swimming holes and back creeks

Only true if the land is a straight line. From my mooring it takes 3+ hours to get to 3 miles. And that's 2.5 hours from the nearest swiming beach.
__________________

__________________
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 15:36   #92
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,885
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
I wonder how the US came up with the 3 mile limit as a distance. I mean this seems a looooong way from the nearest land to discharge a 20 gal holding tank. Given the amount of water this represents it is a hell of a dilution factor.
The 3-mile limit has nothing to do with the USA, and in fact came into acceptance in the first quarter of the 18th century well before the founding of the United States. It was accepted that territorial waters extended out from shore to the distance a large coastal artillery piece could shoot. This became the standard territorial limit until 1982 when UN agreements extended the seaward limit to 12 nm for territorial claims. The old three mile limit remained for waste disposal however, and when written up had in mind large vessels such as warships, liners and other large vessels whose waste disposal was of considerably greater quantity than us boaters. However, in US waters and many others, we sailboaters and the like are included in the laws, even though they were not created specifically with us in mind.
__________________

__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 15:42   #93
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
The 3-mile limit ... came into acceptance in the first quarter of the 18th century well before the founding of the United States. It was accepted that territorial waters extended out from shore to the distance a large coastal artillery piece could shoot. This became the standard territorial limit until 1982 when UN agreements extended the seaward limit to 12 nm for territorial claims...
That’s what I always thought, but see this
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2195021

http://www . jstor.org/pss/2195021
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 16:00   #94
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,885
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Thanks Gord for the clarification.
__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 16:43   #95
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
I look at the fish and the dolphins and have to wonder where they "poop" ?

Around here, the boat ramps don't have restrooms or outhouses. My slip is close to the public boat ramp. We see people climbing down their swim ladders to relieve themselves in the water. We sometimes see a line of people waiting their turn in the woods .....................
__________________
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 17:56   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I look at the fish and the dolphins and have to wonder where they "poop" ?
You don't look close enough. Dolphins playing at the bow often cycle the overboard pump. Big brown streak. I imagine the males try to tag their following buddies....being advanced mammals like us.
__________________
daddle is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 18:04   #97
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
I've done a lot of scuba diving with sea lions. Not uncommon to have a alpha bull drop a load right in front of me. With many marine mammals, pumping out is a sign of aggression and/or hostility.

Cruisers, arguably, are marine mammals as well. (All the better reason to use the pump-out station?)
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 18:26   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Out there doin' it
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
The 3-mile limit has nothing to do with the USA, and in fact came into acceptance in the first quarter of the 18th century well before the founding of the United States. It was accepted that territorial waters extended out from shore to the distance a large coastal artillery piece could shoot. This became the standard territorial limit until 1982 when UN agreements extended the seaward limit to 12 nm for territorial claims. The old three mile limit remained for waste disposal however, and when written up had in mind large vessels such as warships, liners and other large vessels whose waste disposal was of considerably greater quantity than us boaters. However, in US waters and many others, we sailboaters and the like are included in the laws, even though they were not created specifically with us in mind.
The pollution controls really had little to do with territorial limits - they're based on MARPOL conventions, which were started to limit oily waste from being dumped near coastlines. The sewage limits were added later, and iirc large vessels can't dump untreated sewage closer than 12 miles. Treated/disinfected and macerated, they can dump in to 3 miles.
__________________
Lodesman is online now  
Old 10-07-2010, 18:36   #99
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The pollution controls really had little to do with territorial limits - they're based on MARPOL conventions, which were started to limit oily waste from being dumped near coastlines. The sewage limits were added later, and iirc large vessels can't dump untreated sewage closer than 12 miles. Treated/disinfected and macerated, they can dump in to 3 miles.
Exactly. The U.S. is one of the few countries that has not ratified Annex iv which addresses the discharge if sewage. Presumably because it is covered under the Clean Water Act?
__________________
GeoPowers is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 13:16   #100
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
well now that the thread seems to have wound down as far as postings and in poll responses:

According to the poll the majority "sneak" their holding tanks overboard. 17% do it regularly but this could be that some answered that way becasue they don't even have a holding tank. The middle 47.7% between never & always seems to suggest that they do it but think it over at least.

Of course like any poll you could play around with the results and spin it a lot of ways.
__________________
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 13:25   #101
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
well now that the thread seems to have wound down as far as postings and in poll responses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

According to the poll the majority "sneak" their holding tanks overboard. 17% do it regularly but this could be that some answered that way becasue they don't even have a holding tank. The middle 47.7% between never & always seems to suggest that they do it but think it over at least.

Of course like any poll you could play around with the results and spin it a lot of ways.


As with any poll, there's no way to tell if you have honest answers or not. And because some of the options are illegal, there is good reason to be less than honest or not participate at all if you're using a variation of your real name instead of an anonymous screen name.
__________________
rwidman is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 14:26   #102
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And because some of the options are illegal, there is good reason to be less than honest or not participate at all if you're using a variation of your real name instead of an anonymous screen name.
That's true with posting in the thread, but is there even a way for the even the mods to see what people actually voted?
__________________
off-the-grid is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 14:30   #103
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
. . . Of course like any poll you could play around with the results and spin it a lot of ways.
Which is why your poll is no less valid than the whole spectrum of the other polls we get bombarded with by the news media and various organizations. I like the one where the vast majority of Americans who were polled about "di-hydrogen oxide" thought it should be banned.
__________________
osirissail is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 14:53   #104
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

As with any poll, there's no way to tell if you have honest answers or not. And because some of the options are illegal, there is good reason to be less than honest or not participate at all if you're using a variation of your real name instead of an anonymous screen name.

Of course that's why it had a poll so people could vote without giving even their CF name. I learned a long time ago to not believe polls if I didn't see the raw data, but in this case everyone sees them. Enough answered honest I think; as I never thought people would vote for the "only at night" choice.

On the other hand it seems pretty paranoid here to be worried Big Brother is coming for you for this thrread.
__________________
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2010, 15:04   #105
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Of course that's why it had a poll so people could vote without giving even their CF name. I learned a long time ago to not believe polls if I didn't see the raw data, but in this case everyone sees them. Enough answered honest I think; as I never thought people would vote for the "only at night" choice.

On the other hand it seems pretty paranoid here to be worried Big Brother is coming for you for this thrread.
I have friends and dock neighbors who routinely empty their holding tanks in the river. I have others who go three miles offshore (about a twenty mile trip each way), and others would never do it (or have no overboard discharge) and have their tanks pumped out. It's a conversation I try to avoid.
__________________

__________________
rwidman is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
holding tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting a Water Tank to a Holding Tank Ray Tarr Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 21-02-2010 18:39
Stink from Holding Tank! makolab Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 15 13-02-2010 06:20
Bladder Holding Tank gettinthere Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 16 23-10-2009 09:42
Holding Tank Removal Ocean Girl Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 45 25-06-2009 19:22
holding tank requirement sundown Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 5 07-10-2007 14:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.