Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39   #76
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
$h!t torpedoes! You should have posted this one in one of the threads about fending off pirates, John.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45   #77
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
I never owned up before, but hope this true story might bring some lightness to the thread.............
JOHN
I just know that somewhere in here is a really bad joke...

lightness
light
light weight
floats
floater

...yeah, really bad ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:51   #78

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
it skipped the water a few times like a bouncing bomb before gliding to rest right in front of the marina bar terrace
Did you ever go retrieve it to find out what it was ?

-Sven
Old 09-07-2010, 11:02   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
I never said it wasn't. But as long as I'm in the city, I use the toilets - I don't go in the yard or street, and I clean up after any animals that are my responsibility. The fact that others don't doesn't mean I get to be destructive too.
To take the logical path to an extreme: Ted Bundy killed a a bunch of people (30 is a generally accepted estimate). By your reasoning, does that mean, as long as you keep the total below an even dozen, you're allowed to kill anyone you want?

Basically: I take responsibility for my waste and I only expect you to take responsibility for yours. Dumping it in the water is not taking appropriate responsibility, it's leaving it for everyone else (not to mention the environment) to suffer with.
GET BACK TO ME AFTER BP HAS CLEANED UP THE GULF OIL SPILL TO YOUR SATISFACTION. mEANING YOU'D TAKE YOUR FAMILY DOWN THERE AND PUT YOUR CHILDREN IN THE WATER, AND DINE ON 'LOCAL SEAFOOD' I EXPECT TO HEAR FROM YOU IN ABOUT 25 YEARS

AS LONG AS I'M OFFSHORE PAST 3 MILES I'M CRAPPING THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED WAY, JUST AS SAILORS WHO WENT TO SEA HAD DONE FOR CENTURIES BEFORE ME
Old 09-07-2010, 11:06   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yo Castoff, Read the whole post why dontcha?

Mariness expressed no issue with appropriate off shore dumping!

Sounds like you and she are on the same page if you practice the 3 mile limit yourself!

The whole BP Nightmare is a different issue, but the results are the same aren't they; destroyed coastline...

and fyi, the all caps read like shouting, so unhook the cap lock, ok?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:13   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
the all caps read like shouting, so unhook the cap lock, ok?
You must have missed the lower case "m"

-Sven
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yEP, I SAW IT!

lol, that's why the suggestion to check his cap lock...

Old 09-07-2010, 12:02   #83

Thanks I did not see the caps lock on, the meds are working LOL! I did notice her agreement with the 3 mile offshore dump. My point is the majority of boats don't go offshore as owners don't have the time/skills anymore due to work/family constraints; and so the few boats that do go outside are'nt as big a deal as the Mess that BP just created in the Gulf.

It seems to be a hassle to move a boat in the Gulf right now, hard to imagine trying to sell one down there. Prices are probably going to drop considerably, what with the economics of the Region shot for the forseeable future.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:48   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

we rarely get beyond the 3 mile limit. hence the disposal of solid waste ashore. ; -P

Old 09-07-2010, 14:15   #85

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Lucky us.
Off Hudson it drops about 1ft per mile.
To get to 6ft where I can lower the centerboard(s) one is about 2mi off. From there it is just a little while before the pooping can commence.
Old 09-07-2010, 14:25   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

well look at it this way... about a 6 hour sail depending on the weather to get 3 miles out of the gate ; -)

Old 10-07-2010, 05:06   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Although "urine" is "normally" sterile in healthy people - it is - also very acidic. References put the Ph at about 4.5 to 8.0 (that extends across to both sides of the "neutral" value) and causes havoc in the coral reef environment.
- - Reef Alert and some other marine biologists a decade or so ago were trying to find out why the Florida Keys' reefs were bleaching and dying. Some problems were found with lawn fertilizer discharges from golf courses and locals with lawns. But in other areas where this was not a factor the bleaching continued to be a problem. Somebody finally measured Ph along the reef chain and noticed concentrated acidic reading in close proximity to the actual reefs. The readings were "peaking" close to the reefs. How or why was a mystery until somebody's little lite-bulb lit and remembered that the first thing the thousands and thousands of tourist/recreational divers do upon entering the water in the vicinity of the reefs is to - warm up the inside of their wetsuits with internally generated fluids. Snorkelers were doing the same thing with or without a wet suit. In other words, 100,000 plus recreational snorkelers and divers where all "peeing" on that "tree". And frankly, the experts realized, there was nothing anybody could do to stop it.
that is such a load bs.
first off the human bladdder only holds a maximum of about 400 ML.. most of us only use about 100-150 ml before we go. human urine is usually close to neutral. some diets ill acidify the urine some, but the 4.5 is almost the same pH as lemon juice.. how would that feel ......not a normal pH..

we have to use GALLONS of hydrochloric acid (pH of 1) to adjust the pH of a pool (i am in the landscape and pool business) a few tenths of one pH unit.

since pH is exponential, one pH unit difference is a 10 fold increase in acid/base.... it would take an enormous amount of urine all at one time to have any measurable difference in the pH at the reefs, etc.....

I am a biologist by education, and am very familiar with scientific process.... I am also very familiar with scientists making "assumptions" that fit their intended outcome...
far too often scientists have a preconceived idea, and bias their tests to steer the outcome to thier intended outcome
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardpro View Post
that is such a load bs.
first off the human bladdder only holds a maximum of about 400 ML.. most of us only use about 100-150 ml before we go. human urine is usually close to neutral. some diets ill acidify the urine some, but the 4.5 is almost the same pH as lemon juice.. how would that feel ......not a normal pH..
I haven't looked at the papers making the bleaching claims, but do have another datapoint (guess that should really be datumpoint ?).

Our facility converted to waterless urinals to save water. These urinals aren't quite ready for prime-time for a number of reasons and have had to be removed at considerable expense while still new.

One of the reported problems was that undiluted urine was too corrosive for the plumbing and that caused repeated leaks in a 15 (?) year old building.

I'm not disputing your claim, just adding to the confusion

-Sven
Old 10-07-2010, 12:42   #89
CLOD

Boat: none
I wonder how the US came up with the 3 mile limit as a distance. I mean this seems a looooong way from the nearest land to discharge a 20 gal holding tank. Given the amount of water this represents it is a hell of a dilution factor.
Old 10-07-2010, 13:00   #90

Boat: PETERSON 44
3 miles at at 6 knots that's a 1/2 hour. If your inland the pump outboard and marinas are around. I could see an ohh god the tank is full but mostly in the us no reason for pumping overboard while near the swimming holes and back creeks
Closed Thread

Tags
holding tank