when out in the open, but maybe not outside the limit 52 29.71%
whenever I think it's OK because no one will notice 17 9.71%
reguarly pump it overboard 29 16.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 17:16   #136

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
We don't have a holding tank either. Much better to deliver it fresh than use huge amounts of energy pumping it up hill and down dale in order to put it through an ocean outfall.
Fish love poo, they chomp it down and get fat and healthy.
For the officious, we carry a PortaPotti, but have never had to use it.
If we are in a marina we use shore facilities.
The reality of life is that there are certain personality types that seize on issues (any issue), popularize them and then use them as a power base for personal power and prestige. Yachties are a popular target as they are seen as wealthy (untrue as we all know!!). People often like to stop others doing things they can't do themselves.
Regards, Richard.
Old 06-09-2010, 17:52   #137

Boat: Columbia 41
There is a reason they still sell "Y" valves.
Old 06-09-2010, 19:23   #138

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1
THE SOLUTION TO POLLUTION IS DILLUTION
Old 06-09-2010, 19:53   #139

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I think there is a sort of domino effect which takes place concerning sneaking a holding tank overboard (or not having one in the first place). It is unfortunate that those who follow regulations by having holding tanks and either use pumpout stations or have waste treatment and go beyond the territorial limit before pumping out, do not draw attention or receive commendations from those in power. The only ones who seem to get noticed are those who do not care to follow regulations.

Many activists may jump on minor problems because it gives them a sense of self worth, while politicians feel they must do something to justify their existence and continued re-elections. It is often easier to take on small groups, such as us in the cruising community, instead of trying to regulate or correct the major polluters--ie cities, industries and so forth . Our numbers are such that we cannot effectively make a stand.

I personally feel, and this is just my opinion, but the actions of a few put the rest of us on the radar screen and makes the entire sailing community the target for the pencil pushers and red tape experts ashore.
Old 06-09-2010, 20:43   #140

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
My heads go directly overboard, legal here where I'm cruising. I think it's criminal for cities to regulate boaters and then dump sewage from the city system without penalty, like in Milwaukee 2 billion gallons of sewage, storm water overflowed - JSOnline. It would take a hell of a lot of cruisers to dump 2 billion gallons.
Old 06-09-2010, 20:52   #141

There is a large powerboat in the slip next to me. The boat owner is fond of pointing out that to me that he is using a bio degradable detergent to clean up the accumulated of seagull poop dotting his deck (gulls do love powerboats). He is all for the green movement and is scandalized when I dismiss it as merely the latest new thing. During his discourse said powerboat owner is observed putting away a six pack or two. This inevitably results in the beer running its course, said course terminating over the side and into the Potomac. When nature calls me, I go below to the head and rely on the "Y" valve to keep my holding tank empty. In the event of an inspection, I will have been found to have the "Y" valve properly turned and secured. The powerboat guy will likewise continue with his habits and keep his holding tank empty. There is a certain symmetry to life afloat.
Old 06-09-2010, 20:59   #142

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
I have a tank on my forward head and use it when anchored in marine parks that are "no discharge" areas. Otherwise I pump each poop overboard all by its lonesome. The management at our marina has been talking about putting in a pump out station. If and when they do I will use it. For now I will pump 12 times per poop and feed the crabs.
Old 06-09-2010, 21:17   #143
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour52993 View Post
My heads go directly overboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
When nature calls me, I go below to the head and rely on the "Y" valve to keep my holding tank empty. In the event of an inspection, I will have been found to have the "Y" valve properly turned and secured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post
Otherwise I pump each poop overboard all by its lonesome. For now I will pump 12 times per poop and feed the crabs.
Wow. Great attitudes. I'm sure the local hull cleaners love you. Jeezus.
Old 06-09-2010, 21:36   #144
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post
I have a tank on my forward head and use it when anchored in marine parks that are "no discharge" areas. Otherwise I pump each poop overboard all by its lonesome. The management at our marina has been talking about putting in a pump out station. If and when they do I will use it. For now I will pump 12 times per poop and feed the crabs.
grateful I am not sharing a marina with you...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 06-09-2010, 21:49   #145

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1
In Nanaimo we have a pump out facility - For some reason boats from the Nanaimo Yacht Club come to the BC Parks docks at Newcastle Island (about 5 minutes from the yacht club) and pump their sewage tanks out there into the harbour, instead of at their own marina or using the local pump out facility. This kind of action upsets other responsible boaters so discharge responsibly and respectfully.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:20   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 1 View Post
This kind of action upsets other responsible boaters so discharge responsibly and respectfully.
That's what it's all about. Right thinking. The quantity of discharge is not the issue. The right attitude about discharge is. Believe in global warming, drink the Coolaid and all is well. Live your own life, think with your own mind and be damned. Yes, I pump my head overboard. That happens once or twice a day. That is what I choose to do.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49   #147
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Yes, I pump my head overboard. That happens once or twice a day. That is what I choose to do.
So you choose to break the law. A law designed to protect the public health and local ecology. You choose to live aboard but can't be bothered to follow the rules.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37   #148

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There is reality and there is political reality - rarely ever do the two coincide. And political reality rules. The reality of MSD discharge in tidal flushed areas is as stated by others, miniscule. However in "locked" or non-flushing areas, it can be a major factor. So simple common sense works.
- - Political reality states that something must be done about all this water pollution and of course, governments and major political contributing corporations are totally exempt so let's go after the guys without any lobby power and claim loudly we have "solved the problem."
Old 07-09-2010, 06:54   #149

Never have never will. At least not until I EAT ONLY what fish eat, then maybe,, Shame on you who do dump..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 07-09-2010, 06:54   #150

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Wow. Great attitudes. I'm sure the local hull cleaners love you. Jeezus.
I guess you've never been in Mexico and seen a pufferfish hanging out under your boat waiting to be fed.

Ayn Rand
Closed Thread

Tags
holding tank