Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 01:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Silly Season

Just read Dockheads experience with falling overboard........

It must be the silly season for boat accidents, a few days ago #3 nephew had pulled the centaur out to put on the hard for some work and do a new type of anti fouling to the hull. I had picked up some bits and pieces he wanted and decided to deliver them early this morning to the boat.

At 6am, I pulled up alongside the boat where he and a couple of friends were already hard at it replacing some lines and fixing an issue with the mainsail. The boat being bilge keel was free standing.

As #3 and me were talking at the rear of my car, we saw the lads start raise the mainsail and then witnessed the boom swing over hard to port. Yes.. they were also putting in a new traveler block and line, and had not tightened the new one yet and yes, Kieron was standing to port at the same time it swung.

It was a very graceful and balletic scene to watch. He had managed to raise his arms to protect his head, but it was not enough to prevent him from being swept up and over the side of the boat in a somersault. He did land on his legs after a complete aerial roll shortly to be followed by a sit down and then a lay down where he banged his head on the concrete. He was disoriented for a while and then came around. I have to say though, it was one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed. All of us were crying with laughter both at what happened and at Kieron laughing hard at it too... a guys moment.

I checked him out an he seemed to be ok, but I determined that a quick visit to the local emergency room would be appreciated by his wife so I dropped him off there on the way home 30 mins later. #3 tidied up the boat and followed on to the hospital to determine the status quo and look after his buddy.

I will have a little chat with #3 later regarding captain responsibility and the necessity to be in charge at all times with inexperienced people helping... no I dont blame him for what happened and Kieron and the others are pretty smart people in their respective fields, only...... on a boat things dont work the way you think and happen twice as quick as you expect even if the vessel is on land! I do recall an event as a 10 year old loosening the brakes on my bike to reduce friction and then testing it on a hill.... thats another story involving closed school gates, ripped new clothes, a buckled front wheel and an upset irate mother and father, one for maternal reasons and one for the financial

(Just got a call from a colleague at the hospital and all appears to be well) Important to monitor someone for 24-48 hours and look for any change in behavior after a head injury regardless, just in case. Im sure they all will be heading back to the boat to carry on. Sailing beckons.......

It was one of "these" moments.. I enclose the video for your amusement.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Silly Season

Going down to the boat in a short while. All the lines that needed replacement have been done, the glitch in raising the sail has been fixed, antifouling has been finished and they just need me to wire up the radio again..... The boys being boys will go to the Pub tonight and get her back in the water tomorrow if they can. They are working on a sail to the Isles of Scilly in a few weeks so that will be interesting to follow the preparation progress.... methinks #3 son wont do it unless a friend of ours goes with them. A highly experienced sailor in these waters.

We will see.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote