Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 01:24   #181
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
SCM: "... I'm attending a big potluck event at the marina and we're all getting together to cook our cats. That's actually what sweet and sour chicken is. Cat."

Holy Hairballs Batman! Talk about letting the cat out of the bag! Among potluck-inclined yet budget-minded cruisers, Cat is well known as "the other other white meat." It's not just for hippie squatters anymore.

Hell yeah, I'll come to the potluck and thanks for asking! Have a nice morning, afternoon, and night, neighbor.
Wifey B.....hubby scared of my response to this one but here goes.

I think then next time knowing the feline attribute there, I'll just tell them then I don't eat p.....(well, that might be a lie too.......can't say that) cat.....cat's the word. I don't eat cat. Neither I nor my hubby does....cat that is. I shall keep on topic.

But I also don't eat anything I don't know what is or can't identify. No goulash of unknown ingredients.
__________________

__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:36   #182
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,718
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

It seems to me that sort of as predicted many posts above, the Jungian introverts know clearly what makes them comfortable, and it's quite different from what makes the extroverts happy.

My prediction: some of us will be happy to live and let live; others will not!

Ann
__________________

__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 02:40   #183
Registered User
 
sailcruiser's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Posts: 763
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

This thread has been highly entertaining and enlightening. Our crew consists very shy introvert and a small group only extrovert. I rarely drink and that seems to really confuse some people. I have no desire to push my choices on anyone else and excuse myself if I find a person pushing his/hers on me.

I don't see a problem with either end of the spectrum. I think turmoil brews with perceived rude behavior where perception can vary widely on many factors.
SC
__________________
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 03:25   #184
cruiser

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 164
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It helps to have a compatible extrovert aboard when you're shy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kungfu.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	74477
__________________
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 03:38   #185
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,334
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
It seems to me that sort of as predicted many posts above, the Jungian introverts know clearly what makes them comfortable, and it's quite different from what makes the extroverts happy.

My prediction: some of us will be happy to live and let live; others will not!

Ann
Possibly the most succinct post of the thread
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:05   #186
Registered User
 
Prairie Chicken's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada or Spain
Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Posts: 1,116
Images: 1
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
I am not sure where I fall in the spectrum of hippie squatter to check book cruiser but I am reminded of what my Granny use to say:

"There is so much good in the worst of us
and so much bad in the best of us
it's hard to tell them from the rest of us."
Your granny was a wise woman.
__________________
Prairie Chicken
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`· ...¸><((((º>
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:00   #187
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
... I think then next time knowing the feline attribute there, I'll just tell them then I don't eat p.....(well, that might be a lie too.......can't say that) cat.....cat's the word. I don't eat cat. Neither I nor my hubby does....cat that is. I shall keep on topic...
I did not see this coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
... some of us will be happy to live and let live ... Ann
Oh Ann... Ann, Ann, Ann ... tsk ... tsk ... such a warm and cuddly, reasonable, community organizer-type of sentiment.

That was fine until, oh ~ 1973, when the pre-apocalyptic song, Live and Let Die, was written by living god Sir Paul McCartney for the movie of the same name.

Unperceived by most, this song changed modern thinking, and more importantly, modern doing. We now have rampant road rage,
poor nutrition, and worst: checkbook sailors.

Resistance, as they say, is futile.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 09:21   #188
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Didn't some dead guy once say, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

I've never seen so many people complain about other people trying to do the right thing and invite others to a social event. Christ, if they threw a party and didn't invite you, you'd be calling them snobs and spitting in their direction every time you passed their boat.
Honey, have no fear. I don't judge folks by a somewhat petty example of weather or not I'm invited to a party, pot luck, shindig, or whatever. I will never ever be mad at someone for not inviting me out. Though I might question your parentage, should you persist in asking.

Nor was I complaining, only pointing out that someone is not rude, just for turning down an invitation.

After some preponderance, I would also like to revise my previous statement about invites to potlucks. I do remember being asked a time or two to a pot luck. I declined both invitations. As I do to roughly 99.93 percent of all invitations to anything else.

As the name of this thread says, Please please don't invite me to a potluck or other social event. Unless someone the likes of, oh Carl Sagan or Richard Feyman for example were giving a discussion somewhere. Now THAT would swoon me off my feet..
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 09:43   #189
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I declined both invitations. As I do to roughly 99.93 percent of all invitations to anything else.

As the name of this thread says, Please please don't invite me to a potluck or other social event. Unless someone the likes of, oh Carl Sagan or Richard Feyman for example were giving a discussion somewhere. Now THAT would swoon me off my feet..
We decline most invitations to large gatherings as do you. We will join another couple for dinner if it's somewhere that we would like to go as well. Celebrity led discussions don't excite us. Now, with our close friends, we'll go with them 95% of the time they suggest we join them. They don't even have to ask. And if it's to an event for a charity they support with lots of hard work personally, then we'll always go with them if we're home. They reciprocate with the causes that are dear to us. We have a group of about 15 persons who know they are always welcome at our home, they're treated as family, not just friends. We tell them if we're going to cook out or if we're going out on the water. If we cook out and swim, it's just whoever wants to come. If we're headed out on the boat for the day, they're told what time we're undocking and if they make it they go with us. We have had one say she was running way late and just met us in Miami when we docked there.

At most marinas if we're there more than one day, there will typically be one couple or at most two families we end up spending time getting to know.

We strongly believe you can get to know more people in a small group than a large one. Making an appearance does nothing for us, but we do enjoy sitting quietly and talking to others we like.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:39   #190
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Celebrity led discussions don't excite us.
I guess Sagan could be considered a celebrity. Though I mentioned him more for his astrophysicist, cosmologist, background and not his fame. Feyman could play a mean set of bongos, but that probably did not make him much of a Celebrity. Feyman did know a bit about math and physics though. Both had a passion in science.

I'm so not into celebrities, be they actors or politicians, who really are just bad actors anyway.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 13:00   #191
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,718
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

On the subject of "checkbook sailors", I can certainly understand how someone who has worked hard and long in order to be able to spend his/her funds freely might not want to "haggle" over prices. ....and yet, look at the expectations it sets up for the cruisers who follow and who are not on such a large budget. It will raise prices for them, and that may be a side effect the cb cruiser might want to consider.

I would think that all of us might be better served by bargaining where that is the accepted way of the culture we are visiting, and not, where it is not.

On the other hand, for oldie cruisers, I see nothing wrong with asking, "do you have a discount for seniors?" YMMV
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 13:56   #192
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 398
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Checkbook sailors is a terribly term. It rings of bitterness from all who sling it around. Checkbook sailors, credit card sailors, cash sailors, what the F does it matter how the money is kept or spent. No ones business at all.
__________________
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 17:43   #193
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,886
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
On the subject of "checkbook sailors", I can certainly understand how someone who has worked hard and long in order to be able to spend his/her funds freely might not want to "haggle" over prices. ....and yet, look at the expectations it sets up for the cruisers who follow and who are not on such a large budget. It will raise prices for them, and that may be a side effect the cb cruiser might want to consider.
Of course, those evil checkbook cruisers are also the reason new marinas and facilities are built.

The free dingy docks are usually built to encourage cruisers to spend money buying things, going out to eat and visiting tourist attractions.

Fuel docks don't make a profit off sail boats that buy 5 gallons of diesel, take on 200 gallons of water and dump their garbage once every 2 weeks. If everyone followed that pattern, the fuel docks would go away in short order.

If someone has worked hard and has more money than me, good for them if they want to buy what they like. I don't expect to find a cheap slip in Monte Carlo and that's OK. The people of Monte Carlo benefit from being a highly desirable location.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 18:11   #194
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Of course, those evil checkbook cruisers are also the reason new marinas and facilities are built.

The free dingy docks are usually built to encourage cruisers to spend money buying things, going out to eat and visiting tourist attractions.

Fuel docks don't make a profit off sail boats that buy 5 gallons of diesel, take on 200 gallons of water and dump their garbage once every 2 weeks. If everyone followed that pattern, the fuel docks would go away in short order.

If someone has worked hard and has more money than me, good for them if they want to buy what they like. I don't expect to find a cheap slip in Monte Carlo and that's OK. The people of Monte Carlo benefit from being a highly desirable location.
and how do you feel about having to pay to use your own anchor,and pay to park your dinghy so you can get ashore................,

once the developers have filled up all the available space with marinas,and moorings,which seems to be the norm these days in many natural harbours in northen europe,making yachting an elitist sport
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 18:54   #195
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Shy Cruising or don't invite me to the Potluck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B.....hubby scared of my response to this one but here goes.

I think then next time knowing the feline attribute there, I'll just tell them then I don't eat p.....(well, that might be a lie too.......can't say that) cat.....cat's the word. I don't eat cat. Neither I nor my hubby does....cat that is. I shall keep on topic.

But I also don't eat anything I don't know what is or can't identify. No goulash of unknown ingredients.



Risqué!
__________________

__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.